Utah Guns Forum banner

Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

17K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Snurd 
#1 ·
Is anyone aware of any caliber restrictions for concealed carry weapons in Utah? I know some states restrict the caliber to .45.
I am looking at getting a concealed carry for a .50 so I can keep one in the chamber for bear protection in the unlikely event of an attack and bear spray not working.
Any thoughts?
-Tim

#28 ·
I wonder if the O/P ever made it to Utah? This thread started about 7 months ago.

Snurd's answer was helpful to me as well. I am looking forward to meeting him at the upcoming open carry dinner if he can make it.

I took the CFP class in November and 40 days later my license arrived in the mail.

Now I carry concealed here 24/7/365 everywhere.

I have noticed from watching the news here that violent crime is fairly rare.

About once a week someone robs a bank discretely -- the typical one on one robberies where only the teller knows about it. Not a full hostage take down like on TV.

About once a month someone is murdered somewhere by strangers, normally in the process of stealing a car.

And about every few months a relative murders a family member.

Near where I live there have been 2 discrete bank robberies and 1 car theft murder in the past 4 months.

In Las Vegas, Los Angeles, or Oakland this happens every day somewhere.

California does not give reciprocity to Utah CFP holders fortunately, but Nevada and Clark County now again do, fortunately.

The 4 hours CFP class was useful and covered the issue of calibers, for which there is no restriction.

Our instructor is a retired police officer and very well versed on what can happen in a one on one confrontation.

#29 ·
By the way, when I go camping, I am also armed with my pistol for any 2 legged predators.

However in addition my riot shotgun (a riot shotgun is a short barrel shotgun for those who are confused by what one is -- in other forums this has become an issue apparently) is loaded with slugs and buckshot. If a 4 legged animal were to assert it's own territoriality and/or attack, I would not have any confidence in anything smaller or lighter.

It takes 2 different kinds of firearms to deal with both 2 legged and 4 legged predators, because the 2 legged ones are more cunning and they will work their way up to you closer, whereas the 4 legged ones are bigger and may rush you.

I have experienced 2 legged predators twice while out of state.

Never had a problem with 4 legged predators yet, although one morning I woke and found bear prints all over my camp. The bear chose not to wake me apparently. I was sleeping in my tent with my shotgun by my side.

#30 ·
Karl said:
It takes 2 different kinds of firearms to deal with both 2 legged and 4 legged predators, because the 2 legged ones are more cunning and they will work their way up to you closer, whereas the 4 legged ones are bigger and may rush you.
I think a whole lot of experienced gun owners and back country enthusiasts have faired quite well with a single firearm for both. Anything that will half way reliably stop a large and dangerous animal ought to work fine against a criminal human.

A long gun of some sort certainly has advantages in terms of power. It has the disadvantage of weight and ease of carrying. Time to bring to action can also often be much slower depending on how it is (or isn't) carried or where it is stored.

Has it occurred to you that personal opinions and preferences can and maybe should be expressed as such, rather than asserted as Gospel truths?

#31 ·
bagpiper said:
Karl said:
I think a whole lot of experienced gun owners and back country enthusiasts have faired quite well with a single firearm for both. Anything that will half way reliably stop a large and dangerous animal ought to work fine against a criminal human.

A long gun of some sort certainly has advantages in terms of power. It has the disadvantage of weight and ease of carrying. Time to bring to action can also often be much slower depending on how it is (or isn't) carried or where it is stored.

Has it occurred to you that personal opinions and preferences can and maybe should be expressed as such, rather than asserted as Gospel truths?
So do you ever NOT complain about other people's posts?

#32 ·
Karl said:
Your style is particularly off putting. Have you not noticed the difference in your style of emphatic assertion as if your opinions and very limited experience with Utah gun laws were gospel truth, and the less arrogant manner in which others post?

The off putting is double coming from someone who opposes full RKBA.

No matter. I'm done reading your tripe.

#33 ·
bagpiper said:
Karl said:
Your style is particularly off putting. Have you not noticed the difference in your style of emphatic assertion as if your opinions and very limited experience with Utah gun laws were gospel truth, and the less arrogant manner in which others post?

"Full right to RKBA" is a concept that may have been valid under English Common Law in England once upon a time when Englishmen had these rights.

There is nobody on the US Supreme Court who believes this any longer however.

It is more of a fantasy pipe dream. It has no basis in modern constitutional Federal law.

Sure, AZ and VT and a few other states have implemented this, but only by virtue of their governors' and legislators' grace.

If reality puts you off then oh well.

#34 ·
Karl said:
bagpiper said:
Karl said:

"Full right to RKBA" is a concept that may have been valid under English Common Law in England once upon a time when Englishmen had these rights.

There is nobody on the US Supreme Court who believes this any longer however.

It is more of a fantasy pipe dream. It has no basis in modern constitutional Federal law.

Sure, AZ and VT and a few other states have implemented this, but only by virtue of their governors' and legislators' grace.

If reality puts you off then oh well.
Um, Vermont has been Constitutional Carry since sometime around, oh, 1793 when its constitution was adopted. Also, the Heller decision specifically referenced Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England and the majority's understanding of the concept of self-defense is shaped by those Commentaries along with Tucker's commentaries on Blackstone. I am not a lawyer, but I am related to several and have had the (mis)fortune to have to use them in a limited number of situations. Every lawyer I've talked to about it has affirmed that the understanding of English Common Law at the time of the founding is fundamental to understanding the law in the US (other than Louisiana state laws where they have some weird French connection.)

If that reality puts you off, oh well.

Matt

#36 ·
Now, what was the ORIGINAL TOPIC here? OH, Yeah---- Any caliber restrictions in UT for OC?

None that I am aware of. But, I'd recommend the ammo carried be suitable for the defensive tool one is also carrying!

#37 ·
JoeSparky said:
Now, what was the ORIGINAL TOPIC here? OH, Yeah---- Any caliber restrictions in UT for OC?
:spit:

#38 ·
althor said:
DaKnife said:
torichards said:
Is anyone aware of any caliber restrictions for concealed carry weapons in Utah? I know some states restrict the caliber to .45.
I am looking at getting a concealed carry for a .50 so I can keep one in the chamber for bear protection in the unlikely event of an attack and bear spray not working.
Any thoughts?
-Tim
Yeah, overkill. Bear are not a problem here. You do need to be aware when in the back country but no carry permit is required outside of any cities. Step down to something manageable and more appropriate for two legged predators. The four legged ones just aren't worth the extra weight and you don't need a .50 round for a black bear should you decide to spend all your time in the mountains.
What did you mean by 'no carry permit is required outside of any cities.'? While hunting perhaps?
You can open carry anything here in Utah anywhere that is not posted as a free gun zone. The only restrictions if OCing is if you dont have a CCW permit the gun can't be fire ready. It has to be 2 moves from firing

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

#39 ·
crgonzalez08 said:
<<stuff>>

You can open carry anything here in Utah anywhere that is not posted as a free gun zone. The only restrictions if OCing is if you dont have a CCW permit the gun can't be fire ready. It has to be 2 moves from firing

What is this "posted" you speak of?

#40 ·
crgonzalez08 said:
althor said:
What did you mean by 'no carry permit is required outside of any cities.'? While hunting perhaps?

Do you realize that my comment was about concealed carry? Also, what do you mean by 'not posted as a free gun zone'? Posting of anything is not relevant unless you're talking about a church or private residence. An area might be posted as a 'prohibited area' where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm, but that would restrict loaded carry without a permit. Also, an openly carried gun, assuming it is legal to do so, can be loaded unless you are on a public street, in a vehicle without permission, or in the case of the prohibited area mentioned above.

#41 ·
UtahCFP said:
crgonzalez08 said:
<<stuff>>

What is this "posted" you speak of?
I think "free gun zones" are where they give you a gun just for showing up.

Sent from my iSnurd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.