Utah Guns Forum banner

Washington State Conceal Carry

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  muddy 
#1 ·
Hello All!

I recently took a week-long vacation to Seattle and wanted to report on my experience. My wife and I drove from sunny St. George to Seattle going through Idaho and Oregon.

Of the states we passed through, Prego, was the only one that does not recognise Utah's CCP. Just before crossing the Oregon state line, I pulled off on an exit and disarmed. Per Oregon law, the firearm cannot be anywhere in the passenger compartment of the vehicle in the cases of Sedans that actual trunk space. Oregon law also states that ammunition cannot be in the same area of the vehicle as the firearm. I secured my firearm in a case in the trunk, and kept the two loaded magazines in a backpack on the back seat. After entering Washington I was able to stop again and re-arm.

While in Washington, my wife and I took advantage of their CityPass program that gets you admission to 5 different attractions around the city at a heavily discounted price. We visited the Woodland Park (Seattle) Zoo, took a harbor tour of Puget Sound, went the Waterfront area, went to the top of the Space Needle twice, and toured the Seattle Aquarium.

Washington's CCW laws are very similar to Utah's in that "No Guns/Weapons" signs bear no weight of law. The Space Needle was my main concern was the Space Needle due to their website saying that any person who presented an admission ticket agreed to a "reasonable search of their person and belongs to check for weapons. Weapons are not allowed on the observation deck or in the Skycity restaurant." The only "searching" being done is by a lone employee who takes a quick peek inside bags, backpacks, and purses. We had our 16 month old daughter with us and had a backpack stuffed full of things needed for her as we walked around the city. The employee took one look at my child who was strapped to my chest, saw the backpack, asked "baby stuff?". I said "Yep." His reply "You guys have a good day" and waved us on through without looking in our pack.

Overall, it was great trip. I doubt I'll go back though. Traffic was absolutely horrendous. Parking was also a nightmare. Even if we managed to find a spot, rates were as high as $9-$10/he, plus a 9.5% sales tax, and a 12.5% parking tax. :mad: Talk about Highway robbery.

See less See more
#3 ·
Dave,

Thanks for that report!
Isn't it nice to live in St. George where there are NO Parking Meters...and even free parking at the downtown parking garage? Cities that have parking meters or any type of pay to park system just means customers are going to cut shopping time short to go beat the meter maid.

#4 ·
Wrangler_dave9 said:
Overall, it was great trip. I doubt I'll go back though. Traffic was absolutely horrendous. Parking was also a nightmare. Even if we managed to find a spot, rates were as high as $9-$10/he, plus a 9.5% sales tax, and a 12.5% parking tax. :mad: Talk about Highway robbery.
I love both Washington and Oregon. But I agree about Seattle, and to some extent Portland. Traffic congestion is, indeed, a nightmare. But for me the people and the politics offset the negatives. I just wouldn't visit Seattle unless I had a good reason. If you want to experience truly ugly traffic though, you need to drive up to Vancouver B.C. It makes Seattle look like SLC.

Mel

#5 ·
quychang said:
Wrangler_dave9 said:
I love both Washington and Oregon. But I agree about Seattle, and to some extent Portland. Traffic congestion is, indeed, a nightmare. But for me the people and the politics offset the negatives. I just wouldn't visit Seattle unless I had a good reason. If you want to experience truly ugly traffic though, you need to drive up to Vancouver B.C. It makes Seattle look like SLC.

Mel
True on all points. I lived in Portland for 15 ish years, and Spent a fair bit of time in Seattle going to football games, etc. I thought I knew traffic. Then a few months ago I had to go to Vancouver BC for some immigration related stuff for my wife, and the traffic there was horrific. It might actually be as bad as some parts of Los Angeles, and thats saying something.

#9 ·
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, even if you wouldn't do it again.

I have spent more time in Washington than I'd like to admit. Seattle, in particular, is never enjoyable.
Even getting outside of Seattle, where there are many areas where I really wouldn't mind living, the political climate is absolutely toxic to my way of life. :(
Love the area(s). Hate the politics.

#10 ·
Eastern Washington is a whole different climate, both weather and politics but there is still some bleed over around the university towns. I grew up in Palouse and find its similar to Northern Utah. Washington and Oregon have the same problem as the coastal areas tend to have the population to run the states, its always been blamed on the Californians moving North out of there communist state but caring there views and ways with them. Norther Idaho and Western Montana complain about the same problem with Southern Idaho and Eastern Montana running there states. Actually Utah is one of the only states where I haven't heard a lot of complaining about one part of the state controlling the other against there wishes, maybe the Southern boys feel that way about the Northern boys and I just haven't spent enough time in Southern Utah.

I remember way back when there was a group pushing for a new state I think they were calling Columbia. It was to be made up of Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, Northern Idaho and Western Montana. It of course never went anywhere but I always though it would make for some of the best in state hunting opportunity in the country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.