Utah Guns Forum banner

New to Concealed Carry - First 10 days

16K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Karl 
#1 ·
So I got my Utah Concealed Carry Permit on July 30. It was in my PO Box and I did not get it until almost 7pm. As soon as I received it I started carrying my Phoenix Arms HP-22. Don't laugh - it was all I had (remember the first rule of a gunfight is to bring a gun and a .22LR is better than no gun). I made my first trip to the grocery store with my gun that evening and I thought for sure that everyone knew I had my gun. I was a little nervous and self conscious. But of course no one noticed, or if they did they didn't say anything to me.

I carried my gun every day for the next several days in an Uncle Mike's In the pants open holster. I did not have any issues or problems. The little .22LR would suffice until I could pick up a 9mm. I was really leaning towards the Smith and Wesson Shield chambered in 9mm. I purchased an Alien Gear holster in anticipation of my purchase. However, talking to a fellow ward member who happens to be a LEO, he suggested I look at the Glock 26 instead. Having more rounds is a good thing. He carries a Glock 19 when he is off duty, but due to my small frame size (5'6" - 135lbs) he thought the 19 would be a tad to big for me.

On Thursday I finally decided on my EDC gun. There were a few things I really wanted in my EDC pistol. Semi Automatic, 10 rounds minimum, easy to field strip and American made. Those ruled out the Glock and the Shield (as well as the Ruger LC9s I had been considering). I had been toying with the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c Compact. It ticked off all 4 of my requirements and the grip is actually shorter than the grip on the Shield, but, the width of the pistol was a concern. After trying it out at the gun store I decided to go for it. I picked up a Galco Leather holster and have been wearing it appendix IWB every day since I got it (except for at church).

Saturday I went to my part time job and one of my co-workers asked I had been shooting recently. I responded that I went to the range just the other night and put 80 rounds through my new pistol. then I realized she meant if I had taken any pictures with my camera. Ha, my bad. She asked if I got my CCP yet and after I told her it came she asked "Are you packing?" We are all real good friends there and I simply responded, "I don't know - what do you think?" She looked me up and down and tried to find it, but she then said "I can't tell". I told her that was the idea. She asked again, and I told her that I am not sure if I should tell her, but she then said she would feel better knowing someone in the store was armed (we work in retail with higher end products). So I turned around so that if a customer walked in they wouldn't see and I lifted my shirt just enough so she could see it. She was surprised how well hidden it was and this really helped to boost my confidence carrying the gun. I had started wearing large shirts instead of medium (sometimes I can fit into a small) to help hide the fact that I am CCP-ing. I only showed her because I know she is cool with it and really try to make it a point not to tell many people. The only other person in the store that knows is the manager. At my full time job no one knows and no one seems to have noticed. The bosses know I have my permit. My immediate family (wife and kids) know as well as my mom, but I have not told my siblings and probably won't. The fewer people who know, the better, right?

I did take my gun to it's first movie at a Megaplex. I appreciate that their "No weapons" sign exempts CCP holders and my gun seemed to enjoy the show, "Suicide Squad" (isn't that a great first movie to take your gun?).

The Alien Gear holster seems to be well made, but I seem to prefer to appendix carry and will probably return it. I thought the Alien Gear would be good for my full time job since I sit at a desk all day and the appendix is not quite as comfortable, but so far, even with the M&P 9c it has not been too bad.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats so funny. I just took the class a week and a half ago but bought my gun in mid june- M&P9c and you know what holster? Galco. When I was reading your though process it was similar to mine. My brother has the shield, but it felt small and snappy in my hands. After extensive (6 months of on and off research) I confidently purchased the M&P9C 209304 (no mag or thumb safety). I love it! Congrats dude, I can't wait until I can carry! Come on mailman!

#7 ·
Thanks for the great recap of your first concealed carry experience. I'm sure in most cases you could unplug your name and plug in any of ours as it's a familiar, shared experience.

It really does become second nature and just part of getting ready to go somewhere. When it gets to that point and you one day forget to take it with you, which you will, you'll feel that split second of panic after which you'll feel naked without it for the rest of the excursion until you're reacquainted with your trusty firearm. :nilly:

#8 ·
After you have carried for awhile, it is a bit uncomfortable when going to a sporting event or concert know there is not way you can carry into a venue. You are wise to carry as much as possible. I haven't been able to even mention to most friends and family as they are scared or or simply against guns. They always say guns kill people and I always respond, really because I thought it was people who killed people...well unless we are living in the 'Terminator' world where machines take over :) Carry on!

#9 ·
Most people are so oblivious to what is going on around them it's amazing. About 20 years ago my friend and I tried to see if anybody pays attention. We purposely wore clothes that made our guns print so bad it was no question we were carrying. Went to a mall on a Saturday walked around for a couple hours stood by the security guard and not one person or guard looked at it pointed to it looked at us differently or called the cops on us. Seems like the only people that can tell are the ones that carry. It usually gives it away in the public restrooms cause the ones that carry are the ones peeing in a stall rather than the trough. Good on ya for carrying and keeping it to yourself

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Around march is when I got my CFP and experienced exactly what you had talked about. I carry at work because it is permitted and now I am use to it being on my 4-5 o'clock. As time went on I found out a few people in my office also carry as well. It's good to know if something ever goes down, I have some guys that can watch my back.

#11 ·
(Hello, guys! Long time!)
You apparently got over your self-consciousness long before I did. During my breaking in phase, I went our local clinic, and as always, they took my blood pressure. It was through the roof. The nurse was so concerned that she asked me if I was okay and then contacted the doctor. He came in, and I self-consciously checked my hip. He nodded and said that he was carrying too. That calmed me bit. Still, I was anxious for quite a while. Now, no biggie.

One CCL instructor told us (the class) one rule: "All the time or not at all." The philosophy is based in the simple fact that if you are constantly checking yourself, you call unnecessary attention to yourself. Still, it appears that no one cares here in Utah and Salt Lake counties. I'm sure that's not true, but on the whole, the public feel it a fact of Utah life.

Regarding open carry: I've done it. I like the "freedom" it exudes, but let's be real here [BTW, there is a discussion group for open carry discussions], I did it either to test people's observation skills or to... well, show off. I hope others are not as immature in their motives. (I am not being sarcastic or cute here. I /really did/ open carry for that reason. What a stupid thing of me. I wholly expect a proper rebuke from Snurd and DewittDJ, because I was a fool.) The first time, before I got a CCL, I was going shooting with my kids down in Spanish Fork, and I had my favorite Colt Trooper III on my hip in a leather holster. I stopped at a gas station where a guy admitted that he wished he had the courage to do that. That felt good. Yes, this is group therapy day. I still want to open carry. I want to carry my primary on my hip and a backup Saturday night special on my ankle. I want to have an extra couple magazines on my person, and a black baseball cap. (For those who remember me from a couple years ago: yeah, I have come a long way.) All of those things scream "nut-job," and I stop myself long before that point. I don't want to be the guy who carried a rifle into a mall to make a point. My goal should always be self- and family protection.

#12 ·
I started packing at age 17. That was in 1957. In those years I have packed a lot of different hardware in a variety of different rigs/holsters.
In the early years it was open carry and I did get some flack from the local Mayor, but when the sheriff came out to talk to me it was decided
that I was legal and I heard no more about it. Now today I have several carry options, but the one I use most often is a Ruger LCP 380 Auto in
a pocket holster carried in the front jeans pocket. Light weight, small and easily concealed. If it came right down to a shoot out, I would
rather have a shotgun, but pretty hard to conceal one of those. :lol: Oh, I do carry one reload.
In 59 years of packing I have never once had need to draw a gun to protect myself though I am happy to have the option. For you new comers,
please do enough shooting to get real familiar with your gun, and practice drawing with it unloaded until you can do it without fail. Shooting can
be fun. Hope we never need it to take out a threat.

#14 ·
Karl said:
Got my CFP here in Utah after 40 days. Was very happy when it came in the mail finally.

Began to carry concealed immediately.

I carry 24/7/365.

No problems no regrets.
(Must be a little uncomfortable in bed. ;)) At night I have mine in my jeans ready to go. Ever since I was in a major earthquake (Lima, Peru, 1983), I have kept my jeans right next to my bed, so I can grab and go.

Now, I do not know if you are LDS (aka, Mormon). Our church forbids (with state law back up) carrying a firearm in the building. For a while I was conflicted. On one hand, I want to be good, and I want to be obedient. On the other hand, I believe that locations where guns are banned are prime targets for attack, and I believe the philosophy "all the time or not at all." So there's the conflict.

(Please note that the vast majority --if not all-- of posters on this site wholly disagree with me whether Mormon or not.)

It came down in whom/what do I trust?

Do I trust my skills as a marksman? Well, yes, but that is "[putting] your trust in the arm of flesh." Do I trust in the firearm? I've broken in my primary sidearm, but that sounds like having "other gods before [Him]." So, again, in whom or what should I trust?

I affirm that there is no power stronger and more reliable than the Holy Priesthood, a gift of power given to worthy men in the church. Guns and ammo may fail. My heart may fail, but the Priesthood will not. So, what can it do? For one, the city of Enoch had such power than all iniquitous men fled afar off from it https://books.google.com/books?id=N...nepage&q=city of enoch stood afar off&f=false. It will deter. For another, Joseph Smith stood and faced the marauders in a cell in the Carthage jail, bent over because the cell was too short, chained and shackled, and commanded the evil men to silence. They cowed and begged forgiveness https://www.lds.org/ensign/2001/12/joseph-smith-the-prophet?lang=eng. Nevertheless, prophets of old used and trained with swords, bows, slings and guns.

Bottom line: God gives us tools to ensure we keep our rights, but He has the ultimate power.

#15 ·
metalgimp said:
Karl said:
Got my CFP here in Utah after 40 days. Was very happy when it came in the mail finally.

Began to carry concealed immediately.

I carry 24/7/365.

No problems no regrets.
(Must be a little uncomfortable in bed. ;)) At night I have mine in my jeans ready to go. Ever since I was in a major earthquake (Lima, Peru, 1983), I have kept my jeans right next to my bed, so I can grab and go.

Now, I do not know if you are LDS (aka, Mormon). Our church forbids (with state law back up) carrying a firearm in the building. For a while I was conflicted. On one hand, I want to be good, and I want to be obedient. On the other hand, I believe that locations where guns are banned are prime targets for attack, and I believe the philosophy "all the time or not at all." So there's the conflict.

(Please note that the vast majority --if not all-- of posters on this site wholly disagree with me whether Mormon or not.)

It came down in whom/what do I trust?

Do I trust my skills as a marksman? Well, yes, but that is "[putting] your trust in the arm of flesh." Do I trust in the firearm? I've broken in my primary sidearm, but that sounds like having "other gods before [Him]." So, again, in whom or what should I trust?

I affirm that there is no power stronger and more reliable than the Holy Priesthood, a gift of power given to worthy men in the church. Guns and ammo may fail. My heart may fail, but the Priesthood will not. So, what can it do? For one, the city of Enoch had such power than all iniquitous men fled afar off from it https://books.google.com/books?id=N...nepage&q=city of enoch stood afar off&f=false. It will deter. For another, Joseph Smith stood and faced the marauders in a cell in the Carthage jail, bent over because the cell was too short, chained and shackled, and commanded the evil men to silence. They cowed and begged forgiveness https://www.lds.org/ensign/2001/12/joseph-smith-the-prophet?lang=eng. Nevertheless, prophets of old used and trained with swords, bows, slings and guns.

Bottom line: God gives us tools to ensure we keep our rights, but He has the ultimate power.
Those are all good points, so let me reply to each.

I have 2 holsters. One is my shoulder holster that I normally use when I am out and about.

The other is a hip holster with a separate single mag pouch on the end opposite the holster end on a dedicated leather belt.

When I wear the pistol around the apartment to go outside, I use the hip holster and belt. Then my sweatshirt covers it well enough. I am not too worried about disclosure or imprinting around the apartment. Utah is after all an open carry state, so carrying concealed is optional if you have the CFP which I do.

When I sleep, the pistol goes next to my pillow inside this same holster. Then I put a pillow on top of it.

I have read about too many burglaries at night where the burglar sneaks up to your bed and takes your firearm from the nightstand.

I too sleep with clothes by my bed because I have lived in earthquake country. Plus any home can have a fire anytime in the night.

When I take a bath or shower this pistol in this holster comes into the bathroom with me and I shut and lock the door.

So that's where 24/7/365 comes from. I really did mean it.

My father was Protestant and my mother was Roman Catholic. Her mother was Greek Orthodox. I think everyone is normally whatever their parents taught them to be.

The Catholic Church does not proscribe anyone bringing a concealed weapon to mass. Perhaps the Bishops, Cardinals, and the Pope have foreseen the church shooter in Charleston so they don't prevent us. We must be discrete however. No imprinting and no open carry in the parish chapel (oratory).

God did not make all men equal; Samuel Colt did. I rely fundamentally on the power of ballistics for my protection.

My God is Deist not Theist. Although I have been helped out by Him a few times quite to my surprise (1 helicopter crash, 1 explosion, 5 car accidents, and 5 surgeries), I pretty much rely on myself not on the Holy God or Angels, although I am sure They are indeed watching over us and definitely always keeping score. I just don't want to make Their jobs any harder. Then They have more time available to help others who are helpless.

I do believe in "all the time."

#16 ·
About church carry, while sitting in church the other day, I looked around and saw about 200 people there. It occurred to me that none of us were perfect. We each had our problems. So what if one of those problems was having a gun in the pocket at church? Is that any worse than breaking the speed limit going go town? Everybody does that and think nothing of it. As I see it: We will just have to do as our conscience will let us and later take the stripes.

PS, if you are going to pack to church, conceal deeply and keep your mouth shut about it!

#17 ·
Karl said:
...My father was Protestant and my mother was Roman Catholic. Her mother was Greek Orthodox. I think everyone is normally whatever their parents taught them to be.... Although I have been helped out by Him a few times quite to my surprise (1 helicopter crash, 1 explosion, 5 car accidents, and 5 surgeries),... I just don't want to make Their jobs any harder. Then They have more time available to help others who are helpless.

I do believe in "all the time."
You truly inspire me. Thank you.

#18 ·
James said:
About church carry, while sitting in church the other day, I looked around and saw about 200 people there. It occurred to me that none of us were perfect. We each had our problems. So what if one of those problems was having a gun in the pocket at church? Is that any worse than breaking the speed limit going go town? Everybody does that and think nothing of it. As I see it: We will just have to do as our conscience will let us and later take the stripes.

PS, if you are going to pack to church, conceal deeply and keep your mouth shut about it!
Proper C/C etiquette is not to talk about it at all.

My nephew in law asked me at our Xmas party how I liked my new shoulder holster. I pulled up my sweatshirt and showed him. It fits perfectly. he could not tell I was in C/C mode. I think it actually surprised him.

A friend from my fraternity who also has a CFP but who does not carry asked me at a restaurant if I was carrying now. I took my pen out of my pocket and tapped my left armpit with it so he could hear the clank. He asked if it was loaded too and I replied loaded and chambered.

Other than this I have had no occasion to discuss the matter anywhere with anyone.

Shoulder holsters conceal even full sized really big pistols like my 45ACP nicely, under a sweatshirt or jacket or both. I normally wear both now that it is winter. I don't like mouse guns nor even 9x19's.

When I want to conceal really well I wear the shoulder holster over my undershirt and under my overshirt, with a sweater vest and jacket over that.

#20 ·
So whereas some newbies to concealed carry have felt unusual about it or even stopped doing it after a while, I myself have found it to be perfectly natural, and I don't even think about it anymore.

The only time I do think about it is when I need to visit a place that does not allow it, such as Federal post offices. And since that is a short walk up the street about a block away it is no big deal to lock up my pistol in my tall safe, which is about the only time my pistol gets locked up in there anymore.

All other times my pistol is normally in my shoulder holster on my person and under my overshirt and over my undershirt then also under a sweatshirt, sweater, or jacket and nobody else notices it. And when not in my shoulder holster on my person it is under my pillow at night while I sleep. I also have a hip holster that I wear sometimes around my neighborhood while walking my pets.

So some people seem to be nervous about concealed carry, whereas I am not at all.

It's been 6 weeks for me since the BCI license arrived in the mail.

#21 ·
You mention the US Post Office. I find it interesting that in this country that allows us to own guns and carry guns that someone found it necessary to make a rule that we can't pack to the Post Office. Here in this community we don't get mail delivery, but have to go to the PO and pick up our mail. I just park on the street and leave the gun in the car and walk in.

Also interesting that during hunting season many trucks have rifles in gun racks in the back window and they pull into the PO with the rifle in plain view and go in and get the mail. I don't see the Sheriff out there giving them tickets. ....... ?????

#22 ·
I have to wonder that in a strong firearm state such as Utah and, especially the rural areas, if the local law enforcement officers don't turn a blind eye to it.

I also have to wonder that in a state where everyone, even anti's, knows that carrying firearms is legal in most places with few exceptions that the anti's also assume it's okay to carry at the post office and so don't call in the rifles in the back of trucks.

If the police were to get a call, I'd assume they would then have to follow though with the complaint and enforce the law. I just wouldn't want to be the person displaying a rifle in the back of their truck and become Utah's test case for that.

#23 ·
James said:
You mention the US Post Office. I find it interesting that in this country that allows us to own guns and carry guns that someone found it necessary to make a rule that we can't pack to the Post Office. Here in this community we don't get mail delivery, but have to go to the PO and pick up our mail. I just park on the street and leave the gun in the car and walk in.

Also interesting that during hunting season many trucks have rifles in gun racks in the back window and they pull into the PO with the rifle in plain view and go in and get the mail. I don't see the Sheriff out there giving them tickets. ....... ?????
I have found that the rule regarding the U.S. Post Office is largely ignored. Same as other posted anti gun locations.

#24 ·
Having now had my Utah CFP for 8 months, and having carried my pistol with me 24/7/365 ever since that first day when the CFP came in the mail, I don't even think about the pistol on my hip IWB concealed anymore. I put it on when I get dressed, it stays there all day long, and I don't take it off until I move it to under my pillow before bed.

On those rare occasions when I don't have it with me such as when I go see the doctor I feel naked without it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.