Utah Guns Forum banner

Weber state basketball at Dee Events Center

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jktseug 
#1 ·
Anyone carry at Weber state games at the Dee events center? Do they search/use metal detectors there?

#4 ·
State college, state stadium..... They CAN'T legally prohibit or mandate how you carry.

2nd Amendment--- The First and Original Homeland Security!

#5 ·
JoeSparky said:
State college, state stadium..... They CAN'T legally prohibit or mandate how you carry.
Just to clarify, that under Utah State law, colleges are gun free zones and so a permit to carry (issued by anywhere in the nation since this is a State and not federal GFSZ) is required to legally carry on college campuses in Utah (in most cases).

With the permit, OC, CC, or CCC are all legal (so far as I can tell, IANAL, etc, etc) as is fully loaded or any degree of unloaded.

With that said, private colleges can set their own rules and ask people to leave for almost any reason. Some public colleges or their police departments may attempt to claim the gun has to be concealed. Some may attempt to intimidate a person into concealing. Students and employees may be more susceptible to such intimidation that john public walking in off the street. A college or its police officers may attempt to claim the visible presence of a firearm constitutes a disruption of a school activity or some other general catch-all law, or may trespass a person for no reason but the presence of a visible gun. Or, an officer might attempt to bait a person into behaving in such a way that he can cite disorderly conduct or something more serious.

A person who chooses to OC at a college campus needs to be personally prepared for these situations so as to avoid problems that might range from mild inconvenience to fairly serious criminal charges or worse.

First and foremost, a man with a gun must always keep his cool, be polite, and never give any hint of being a threat to a police officer or others. Knowing the law well enough to KNOW what your legal rights are is important. A voice or video recorder is helpful as are a couple of friendly witnesses who close enough to be witnesses, but stay distant enough to avoid being directly involved themselves, if possible.

Being a "test case" is risky (for both the individual and the larger community) and expensive. Don't plan on being a test case and having things turn out well without a lot of thought. At some point, complying and filing a complaint later is probably the safer, better option. Having solid evidence of unlawful orders will be helpful with any complaints that need to be filed.

Charles

#6 ·
Hot diggity-dog, this advice is super terrific! I know I don't ever want to be a test case in the courts or appear in a viral YouTube video as a cautionary tale on how not to escalate a situation. :shock:

bagpiper said:
[....]

First and foremost, a man with a gun must always keep his cool, be polite, and never give any hint of being a threat to a police officer or others. Knowing the law well enough to KNOW what your legal rights are is important. A voice or video recorder is helpful as are a couple of friendly witnesses who close enough to be witnesses, but stay distant enough to avoid being directly involved themselves, if possible.

Being a "test case" is risky (for both the individual and the larger community) and expensive. Don't plan on being a test case and having things turn out well without a lot of thought. At some point, complying and filing a complaint later is probably the safer, better option. Having solid evidence of unlawful orders will be helpful with any complaints that need to be filed.

#7 ·
Very good advice and very accurate Bagpiper.

As an anecdote, I have open carried at a couple of the Salt Lake Community College campuses. When I was taking classes I often alternated between Concealed and Open carry, often doing the open carry.
Mostly it was from my car, to the classroom, then back to the car. I never had any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.