Utah Guns Forum banner

60+ days to receive permit

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Snurd 
#1 ·
My wife submitted her paperwork in person on March 14, 2017, and as of today, which is 60 days, has not heard anything from the BCI. Definitely haven't gotten a permit in the mail. I know the law says 60 days from application, so what do we do from here? Is she ok to start carrying, or does she still have to wait for the permit to arrive?

#3 ·
You can also call them. (801) 965-4445

She can carry if the permit has been issued. She doesn't have to carry a physical copy of if, though it's a good idea to do so.
Here are the links to the laws.

76-10-500's

76-10-504 talks about concealed carry, and the penalties for doing so, minus a few circumstances. 76-10-523 talks about who is exempt from certain weapons laws. #2 of that section says:

Section 523

(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
--
Notice it says to anyone a permit has been "issued". It doesn't say anyone who has their permit on them. :thumbsup:

Sent from iSnurd

#4 ·
It seems odd. I am not aware of any reason for any delay right now.

I have asked the staff for things to advise, to make their jobs easier, and they said really the only thing is to NOT nag them about the status. But in this case, since the 60 days has passed, I think an email is appropriate.

The 60 days starts once your payment has been processed. There have been times during recent panics when they have pallets of mailed applications to go through, and they have fallen behind. During these times, I have advised applicants to pay in person at the window to avoid any delay. But I have not heard of any delays right now.

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. It turned out to be a false alarm - the upstairs neighbor had gotten our mail, and it only took them 3+ weeks to return it to us.

I knew she didn't need physically have the permit in order to carry, but how would you know that it had been issued without actually receiving it in the mail?

#6 ·
Tenuki said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. It turned out to be a false alarm - the upstairs neighbor had gotten our mail, and it only took them 3+ weeks to return it to us.

I knew she didn't need physically have the permit in order to carry, but how would you know that it had been issued without actually receiving it in the mail?
They can tell you over the phone if it has been issued. Lame that the neighbor kept your mail for so long.

Sent from iSnurd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.