How long it takes to receive a Utah CFP

Discuss issues regarding concealed carry.

Re: How long it takes to receive a Utah CFP

Postby tthenrie » Wed 06 Jan 2016 10:00 pm

A recent applicant told me last week that she was informed by BCI that "their printer was broken" and that her permit would likely take longer than 60 days. They explained that they are backed way up due to the broken printer and the holidays. I do not doubt she was told that, but I find it hard to believe they are that backed up...or that they couldn't get a new printer. Not only that, but the law states that the state MUST issue the permit to a qualified applicant within 60 days. I have yet to see one take more than 30 days. I think I'll call BCI and verify the information. I'll report back.
tthenrie
Novice

Postby buckles » Sun 13 Mar 2016 10:21 am

Hi!

Mailed 1/23

Check cashed 2/4

Rcvd permit 3/12
buckles
Novice

Postby jpi777 » Tue 22 Mar 2016 11:37 pm

Credit card charged 2/18

Still waiting. Hopefully I will receive it soon. Still waiting for my Ny one it's like getting a top secret clearence.i can't wait to retire to move.
jpi777
Novice

Postby BlingityBlang » Mon 28 Mar 2016 9:40 am

Today is day 52 and I haven't heard anything yet. I actually just called BCI and had a very interesting conversation. The person stated that nothing happens if it isn't issued within the 60 days. I.E.: no refund of fees paid or anything. My question to that was well... If you aren't required to issue it within 60 days as the statute says then why have the timeframe at all? The rep couldn't answer that...

So my question is this: If it doesn't get issued within 60 days what recourse does someone have? File a claim in small claims court? Lawsuit etc? I think it would be easy for one to argue in court that due to the BCI delay in processing that someone's safety was put at risk by not being able to carry concealed based on where they live, job they have, or for general protection etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I understand there will probably be a lot of people who will say you should do nothing if it doesn't get issued in 60 days but my rebuttal to that would be that someone needs to hold the BCI accountable for their timeframe of 60 days and if a court case does that then so be it...
BlingityBlang
Novice

Postby D-FIN » Mon 28 Mar 2016 11:57 am

I cannot answer your question but can say that I think it is unusual. Even in the height of the post Newtown rush mine was was still done in about 60 days. Many fairly recently have been as little as 3 weeks. Were they able to verify receiving it? Did you turn it in or did your instructor?
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby BlingityBlang » Mon 28 Mar 2016 1:01 pm

I physically went to BCI on Feb 5th right when they opened to avoid any "we didn't receive your paperwork" excuses and my payment was processed via debit card so the funds were immediately transferred to BCI instead of paying by credit which would further the delays. The rep on the phone said they are extremely behind and everyone is working overtime to get them processed and they have received "hundreds" of applications everyday. I also found it strange that they are this far behind considering the previous posts on this thread. My friends permit was processed in 6 weeks plus 5 days mailing time and he gave paperwork to BCI in early January so I figured I would ask anyone on here what someone could do if the 60 day timeline isn't met because the way I understand it that is actually a law and they would be breaking the law by not issuing it within 60 days.
BlingityBlang
Novice

Postby Snurd » Mon 28 Mar 2016 1:25 pm

BlingityBlang wrote:I physically went to BCI on Feb 5th right when they opened to avoid any "we didn't receive your paperwork" excuses and my payment was processed via debit card so the funds were immediately transferred to BCI instead of paying by credit which would further the delays. The rep on the phone said they are extremely behind and everyone is working overtime to get them processed and they have received "hundreds" of applications everyday. I also found it strange that they are this far behind considering the previous posts on this thread. My friends permit was processed in 6 weeks plus 5 days mailing time and he gave paperwork to BCI in early January so I figured I would ask anyone on here what someone could do if the 60 day timeline isn't met because the way I understand it that is actually a law and they would be breaking the law by not issuing it within 60 days.

There really isn't anything we can do if they are over the 60 days. They are supposed to get it out by then, but there has been many times where they haven't. As far as I know, there isn't a penalty for them not doing so. They have been doing a pretty good job the last year or so to get caught up.
Snurd
Posse

Postby BlingityBlang » Mon 28 Mar 2016 7:21 pm

Well speak of the devil...I received it in today's mail lol!

Turned into BCI on 2/5 and payment processed same day
Permit issued on 3/22
Mailed on 3/25 according to postmark on envelope
Received on 3/28
BlingityBlang
Novice

Postby jpi777 » Tue 29 Mar 2016 3:26 am

Nice hopefully I'll receive mine soon
jpi777
Novice

Postby StephenDS » Tue 29 Mar 2016 3:42 am

BlingityBlang wrote:Well speak of the devil...I received it in today's mail lol!

Turned into BCI on 2/5 and payment processed same day
Permit issued on 3/22
Mailed on 3/25 according to postmark on envelope
Received on 3/28

I turned mine into the BCI 2/8, check processed the same day.

Nothing as of yet. Looks like any day now since you just got yours.
StephenDS
Novice

Postby StephenDS » Thu 31 Mar 2016 5:02 pm

I turned mine in at the BCI 2/8/16
Check cashed 2/8
Issued on 3/26
Received 3/30
StephenDS
Novice

Postby jpi777 » Fri 01 Apr 2016 10:12 am

Received mine today 43 days. Issued 3/24 post marked the 29th.
jpi777
Novice

Postby dewittdj » Fri 01 Apr 2016 8:21 pm

I guess you didn't understand the part of the class where they said "Don't call before 60 days. If you call before 60 days, then you are pulling someone away from processing permits to answer your phone call." The same people who answer the phones are the same people who process the permit paperwork.
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby BlingityBlang » Sat 02 Apr 2016 9:11 am

I guess not dewittdj lol.
Boo boo I have to do my job and answer the phone when it rings...give me a break...
BlingityBlang
Novice

Postby Snurd » Sat 02 Apr 2016 10:26 am

BlingityBlang wrote:I guess not dewittdj lol.
Boo boo I have to do my job and answer the phone when it rings...give me a break...

Times your one phone call by the thousands of people wanting to know where their permit is. That many calls would slow down the process a lot.
Snurd
Posse

PreviousNext

Return to Concealed Carry