Utah Guns Forum banner

How long it takes to receive a Utah CFP

260K views 815 replies 346 participants last post by  dewittdj 
#1 ·
This is a common question, and based on forum members who've reported their own experiences, I've taken a stab at tracking the BCI's performance over the last couple of years, and estimating the current delay. See the numbers on the charts below to get an idea how long yours will take.

One thing that you can do to help your permit arrive faster is to hand-deliver your application to the BCI, and pay your fees in cash. Since the BCI counts the time they took your money as the time they "received" your permit, this may cut out a significant amount of waiting time.

Below are three charts, showing the delays for all permits, mailed permits only and hand-delivered permits only. These charts are kept up to date! If you revisit this topic, you'll see the latest information! These charts are based on self-reported information so please, please give us your application, payment and permit receipt dates. You do that by sending a Private Message to me with the date you sent (or delivered) your application, the date the BCI received it, the date the BCI processed your payment and the date you received your permit. I summarize the information in this spreadsheet, which is used to generate the charts below. You may have to guess at when the BCI received your application, based on how long you think it takes mail to get from you to Salt Lake City.

Each of the charts below is linked to a larger version, if you want to see more detail, just click on the chart.

To read the chart:

• Each applicant's experience is shown as follows:
    • The purple dot indicates how many days elapsed before the permit was received by the applicant.[/*]
    • The blue dot indicates how many days elapsed before payment (check cashed, credit card charged).[/*]
    • The dotted orange line between the blue and purple dots shows the length of time the BCI considers themselves to have "received" the application. There's a smaller brown dot that tracks this, showing what the BCI believes their performance to be.[/*]
    • Applicants that haven't yet received their permit have a dotted red line instead of an orange line. Its length shows what the BCI's performance would be if that applicant received their permit TODAY. When they receive their permit, the line will turn orange and acquire a purple dot at the top.[/*]
    [/*]
  • The blue horizontal line shows the 63-day mark. The law allows the BCI 60 days to issue the permit, and I arbitrarily add three days to account for mail delivery time.[/*]
  • The purple, brown and blue lines show an exponential moving average of the BCI's performance. From those averages, I extrapolate current expected wait times, which are shown numerically on the right.[/*]
  • The vertical green line designates the "half-received mark". Of permits applied for after this date, less than half of the recipients have gotten their permit.[/*]

CHARTS ARE BROKEN. I don't think it matters now so I won't bother to fix them. If the BCI gets slow again, I'll start updating the spreadsheet and fix the charts.

These charts will be updated DAILY. It's an automated process, but it can break if someone puts crud into the spreadsheet. In that case, the charts will stop changing, which will be easy to notice because of the dates at the top.

Oh, one more chart that shows more history. Hopefully we'll fill in some older data and make this view more useful.

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent work! Sure looks like it pays to turn in in-person, if you can... by a week or two... Thanx for all the work you put in to this... I have a better idea of what to expect now other than the "60-days" rhetoric from the BCI office... :thumbsup:

#4 ·
GenkiSudo said:
Thanks for putting in the work on this. That's a lot of work to collect the info! :shades:
Welcome. It was actually fun putting the charts together, and didn't take as long as you might think to wade through the pages of posts. However, I much prefer having people enter their own info into the spreadsheet :)

#6 ·
:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: Oh my goodness, can you believe it !!! Our Permit(s) arrived today. Paid for my wife's and mine the same day, they arrived in the mail together today ! :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: Walked the paperwork in on 3/9/09, they cashed my check 3/12/09, and they arrived today 5/27/09.

#10 ·
Wow, I was told recently (March) that they had hired new people up there and were within the 60 requirement again.... I guess not. I ALWAYS tell my students to turn their applications in to BCI in person and pay cash. Remember that the statue mandates that they process the paperwork within 60 days but it doesn't say how long they have to open the envelope and start the process. Application are sitting in the mailroom for weeks on end. If you hand in your paperwork in person and pay cash you force their hand to begin processing immediately.

#11 ·
Since it is an approx. 300 mile drive one-way to SLC to drop off an application, I decided to send mine from Moab via UPS letter.
Sent via UPS Tuesday 6/16/09
Received at BCI Wednesday 6/17/09 (delivery confirmation received from UPS)
Check deposited Monday 6/22/09 (Wells Fargo)
Check cleared my account Tuesday 6/23/09 (Wells Fargo)

It appears for those who send an application via normal mail, that if it is sent via UPS/FedEx/or Certified US Mail with a delivery confirmation, BCI starts the process upon receipt of the application. The delivery confirmation might work similar to a hand-delivered drop off. I guess I will sit back now and see if this is true or not.

#12 ·
I visited BCI a couple months ago (April 2009) to get fingerprinted for my Private Investigator and Bail Recovery licenses and where they fingerprint you is where they also print Utah CFPs. It was around 0730 hours and the guy there just had stacks and stacks being printed and stuffed. I was like, "Wow..."

Thanks for the charts!!! I don't have to deal with this for another four years! YEAH! :dancing:

#13 ·
sauerpauer said:
Can we extend the labeling on the graph a bit so it shows April thru July? It'd make it a bit easier to see the more recent trends, which'd be nice since they hired a few more people.
Done. I changed it from showing the last 14 months to the last 18 months.

#16 ·
:nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
Well, can you believe it? My CWP arrived to day from BCI. Card charged on May 15. Number of days? 83. Got a new Glock 26 and a new Kahr CW9, new Blackhawk OWB and life is good!
Major, U.S. Army (Ret.) :tank: :tank: :tank: :tank:

#18 ·
mhessick said:
99 days and still waiting for mine. It was turned in with cash on May 28. Clark Aposhian was my instructor and he hand delivered it the day after my class.
I added you to the spreadsheet. Let us know when it arrives. The BCI has been doing a little better, so I'd expect it soon.

#19 ·
I called today and found that my permit was issued on the 90th day. I applied the last week of May. The state mailed it to my physical address and not my POB even though the form listed my POB as the mailing address. It was not delivered. After 103 days of waiting I called and straightened it out. They were very nice and said that they would send a new one and destroy the old one when it is returned.

#20 ·
Wahoo! My CFP arrived in the mail today. I took the class on 6/27/09, and the application was mailed on 6/29/09, credit card charged by BCI on 7/08/09, and the CFP at my home today, 9/10/09. Included was a letter stating that the results of the background check by the FBI were still pending, and the permit could be rendered invalid by the results of the background check.

#22 ·
Looks like we've got a definite downward trend going. Good news! I think the staff they added a few months back has allowed them to almost catch up on the backlog. A little more and they may even be in compliance with the law!

I still think we should ask our legislators to amend the law in this next session, though. If the BCI hasn't refused you within 60 days after they receive (and I mean *receive*, not "process payment") your application, you should be free to carry as though you had received your permit.

#24 ·
This may be premature, but I just turned in the paperwork (in person) on Monday the 21st (both myself and my wife) debit card cleared on the 22nd. I'll post back when we get our permits.

#25 ·
This is the link to the KSL story yesterday in which BCI claims they are processing applications in 58 days. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=8014855 :dunno:

From the looks of things that is not the case. What happens to you if you do not pay a speeding ticket within the alloted time? What about paying your bills on time? How come there is not any penalties to BCI for not meeting the requirements of the law?
:mod: Repaired link -Don

#26 ·
Article referrenced in abrian8's post:
Utah concealed gun permit applications up over '08
September 22nd, 2009 @ 11:58am
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- So far this year more than 57,100 people have applied for a permit to carry a concealed gun.

Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification figures through Aug. 31 show that of those, more than 56,300 have been granted permits.

Last year there were 44,891 applications.

Lt. Doug Anderson told a legislative committee last week that the bureau expects to process 70,000 applications next year. The bureau has added eight employees this year to deal with the backlog. It currently takes 58 days to issue each permit.

In the fiscal year that ended in June, just over 50 percent of the applicants were from outside Utah. Utah's permit is accepted by 34 states.

The state checks a criminal database to determine whether those with permits have become ineligible. Last year it suspended 495 and revoked 332.
abrian8 said:
How come there is not any penalties to BCI for not meeting the requirements of the law?
Because the Legislature did not include penalties in the enabling legislation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.