10/13/2012, "Science Club Meeting"

A place for members to plan events and activities that other members may be interested in. Shoots, BBQ's, etc.

10/13/2012, "Science Club Meeting"

Postby sarahbn » Mon 03 Sep 2012 6:41 pm

Mark your calendars for October 13, when T.E.S.L.A. (Tooele Engineering and Science Learning Activities) will be doing our thermite lesson for the older kids! The younger kids (grades 4-6)will be learning about metals earlier in the day; the older kids (grades 7 and up) will be lighting metals on fire. Adults are, of course, welcome, and due to huge adult interest in the subject matter, I expect the adult:child ratio to be greater than 1.
Antes Morrer Livres Que Em Paz Sujeitos
sarahbn
Expert Marksman

Re: 10/13/2012, "Science Club Meeting"

Postby AlanM » Tue 04 Sep 2012 5:00 am

Are you going to make some pyrophoric iron?

My high school Honors Chemistry teacher, Mr. Crisman, used to do all sorts of demonstrations that either went flash! :shock: or bang! :shocked: or both. :shock: :shocked:

Thermite, potassium permanganate + glycerin, pyrophoric iron, Nitrogen triiodide, and calcium carbide + water, just to name a few.

Of course, there was always the old standard, H2SO4 + C12H22O11.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby sarahbn » Tue 04 Sep 2012 7:21 am

AlanM wrote:Are you going to make some pyrophoric iron?

My high school Honors Chemistry teacher, Mr. Crisman, used to do all sorts of demonstrations that either went flash! :shock: or bang! :shocked: or both. :shock: :shocked:

Thermite, potassium permanganate + glycerin, pyrophoric iron, Nitrogen triiodide, and calcium carbide + water, just to name a few.

Of course, there was always the old standard, H2SO4 + C12H22O11.

Just thermite this time, but the sulfuric acid and sugar reaction is one of my favorites. :)
sarahbn
Expert Marksman

Postby sarahbn » Wed 10 Oct 2012 1:57 pm

This is at 3pm. If you don't know where the place is, PM me for directions to my house and you can follow me, I'm going about 2pm to set up.
sarahbn
Expert Marksman

Postby rccooley » Wed 10 Oct 2012 8:07 pm

Well, since I will be out that way for the Tough Mudder on Saturday I might try to come by....if I'm not completely dead.
-Rob
rccooley
Marksman

Return to UCC Events