Utah Guns Forum banner

Frontrunner

8K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  JoeSparky 
#1 ·
Anyone up for making the Provo to SLC free ride day Saturday, December 8, on UTA Frontrunner an Open Carry day?

#7 ·
JoeSparky said:
IS the SLC to Provo return trip also free?
My understanding is that all rides on the SLC-Provo line are free that day.

#8 ·
rpyne said:
JoeSparky said:
IS the SLC to Provo return trip also free?
My understanding is that all rides on the SLC-Provo line are free that day.
Sweet, I enjoyed my narrow gauge railroad ride in the early 70's on the Durango-Silverton Railway. This might be enjoyable also, but the scenery most likely will be significantly different!

What time are we meeting for this activity?

#9 ·
From the UTA website,

"Saturday, December 8-Public Ride Day-Food Is Your Fare
Public can ride the new FrontRunner line without purchasing fare by donating a canned food item."

It didn't specify, but I would presume it's a can each way.

#10 ·
manithree said:
I promised my kids we would go see the lights on temple square on free FrontRunner day. I think I'll be concealing.
I OC on Temple Square each time we go. I stay out of the Tabernacle and Temple, but that's it. Oh, and the church on the SW corner of the lot. The visitors' centers are fair game legally. They can ask you to leave, but none have ever asked me to. With it being winter, I usually conceal anyway, though.

#11 ·
UtahJarhead said:
The visitors' centers are fair game legally. They can ask you to leave, but none have ever asked me to. With it being winter, I usually conceal anyway, though.
If I did get asked to leave, it would suck especially since my closest gun safe would be in Orem (no car on free Frontrunner day). Plus I'll probably be wearing a coat/jacket anyway, so for the sake of simplicity I'll conceal on church property.

But now that I think about it, maybe I'll wear the OWB holster and OC everywhere else. And since I'm riding Frontrunner I don't even have to carry ID or CFP.

I don't OC on BYU campus, church parking lots/property in general, and I don't carry into houses of worship. I agree (I think) with Charles that The Church (tm) has too much political clout to push around or play games with. And if the pencil-pushers at HQ are anti-gun, I'll at least appear to respect that.

#12 ·
This is a great idea. I may just jump in on this if my schedule permits.

When the Daybreak and West Valley Trax lines opened they also did a food for a ride program. When you gave your can of food they gave you a sticker to put on your clothes indicating you were good for all day any direction... I imagine it will be very similar or the same concept and I might consider putting the sticker on my holster :twisted: You know because they never end up staying on clothes and the hard surface of my holster makes a perfect location to ensure it doesn't fall off :wink: :wink:

#13 ·
I'll be riding that day, too - Temple Square lights, a horse and buggy ride, and browsing City Creek sounds like fun evening for the family. We've had it planned since they announced the free-tickets-for-donated-food day, but paying full price for my family of 4 might still be cheaper than gas and parking, and very well could be faster.

BTW, the response to the free day has been huge (according to the nice UTA lady I spoke with today). Trains run from 10am to 10pm, departing every half hour. Plan ahead, and maybe even plan on not being able to hop a train right when you want.

UTA lady also confirmed that it's a can of food (or other non-perishable item) per round-trip ticket.

I'll be carrying concealed, as per usual for me.

#15 ·
I am planning on being at the Provo station before 10:00 a.m. but from what I'm hearing, I don't have much hope of getting on the first train.

I'm not sure what time I'm going to have to knock off on Saturday afternoon, but I plan to make as many round trips as possible.

#20 ·
I will be at Salt Lake City Central station prior to 10AM for the first ride from Salt Lake City to Provo.

I just want to remind everyone you must have a CFP in order to carry on the bus or train.
It becomes a felony if you open carry without a permit. U.C.A 76-10-1504

If anyone wants to meet up I can meet you anywhere on the route.
Just text or call I plan on making multiple trips on this route

Maybe after we could grab lunch or a bite to eat.

So carry on great first event for the new open carrier so come one come all.

#22 ·
I'm thinking of trying to get to cabellas, but don't have a way from the station to the store...

Any ideas?

Thumb?

:ROFL:

Haha
Well, you ARE going to be armed. Maybe you could hijack a ride? I'm sure that the return ride would be taken care of for you :lol3:

Mel

#23 ·
Utah_patriot said:
I will be at Salt Lake City Central station prior to 10AM for the first ride from Salt Lake City to Provo.

I just want to remind everyone you must have a CFP in order to carry on the bus or train.
It becomes a felony if you open carry without a permit. U.C.A 76-10-1504

If anyone wants to meet up I can meet you anywhere on the route.
Just text or call I plan on making multiple trips on this route

Maybe after we could grab lunch or a bite to eat.

So carry on great first event for the new open carrier so come one come all.
Are you a transit cop?

#24 ·
quychang said:
I'm thinking of trying to get to cabellas, but don't have a way from the station to the store...

Any ideas?

Thumb?

:ROFL:

Haha
Well, you ARE going to be armed. Maybe you could hijack a ride? I'm sure that the return ride would be taken care of for you :lol3:

Mel
Ha

I'd get some shiny bracelets too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.