Ogden Sporting Clays

A place for members to plan events and activities that other members may be interested in. Shoots, BBQ's, etc.

Ogden Sporting Clays

Postby pointman10 » Thu 11 Apr 2013 3:45 pm

For those of you who may be interested, the Ogden Gun Club is now offering a sporting clays course every other weekend. Bring your shotgun and shells, and expect to have a great time. April 20th and 21st 10am-dark, and April 19th under the lights (weather permitting). The OGC is a very friendly place, that will welcome new shooters or seasoned marksmen alike. Costs are $7 per round for non-members, and $6.50 per round for members. 10 punch passes are also available, $65 for non-members, and $60 for members. For more info, call Turtle at 80-540-1355.
pointman10
Novice

Re: Ogden Sporting Clays

Postby Zacharia » Thu 11 Apr 2013 4:26 pm

COOL!
Zacharia
Sniper

Postby Liberty Nut » Thu 11 Apr 2013 5:02 pm

pointman10 wrote:.... Costs are $7 per round for non-members,......

I nearly fell over backwards for a moment, :shocked:
If the American people understand the Constitution, freedom can survive a government that ignores the Constitution, because the people can intervene. But if the American people as a whole are ignorant of the Constitution, freedom is ultimately doomed.
Liberty Nut
Marksman

Postby pointman10 » Fri 12 Apr 2013 12:20 pm

I am posting this as a club member, as I do not work for the OGC. I am fairly new to shooting Sporting Clays; I may be wrong, but that price does not seem high to me. I think a box of 90 clay targets at wal-mart costs $9. So around $3 for targets, that only leaves $4 for overhead (facilities, throwers, manpower, etc). Seems like a decent deal to me. I can't afford 8 throwers, nor do I have the time or the land to set them up. I feel I get my money's worth.
pointman10
Novice

Postby Zacharia » Fri 12 Apr 2013 3:27 pm

I think the post was in reference to a "round" not being specified as 25 targets. But thats just my guess.
Zacharia
Sniper

Postby UtahJarhead » Fri 12 Apr 2013 5:00 pm

Liberty Nut wrote:
pointman10 wrote:.... Costs are $7 per round for non-members,......

I nearly fell over backwards for a moment, :shocked:

It's OBVIOUS you read it wrong... it's shotgun, not .22LR!
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby pointman10 » Fri 12 Apr 2013 9:46 pm

Zacharia wrote:I think the post was in reference to a "round" not being specified as 25 targets. But thats just my guess.

I'm with everyone now. It just takes me a little longer to catch on sometimes. Thanks for walking me through it.
pointman10
Novice

Postby Greenhead_Slayer » Sun 14 Apr 2013 8:14 pm

pointman10 wrote:For those of you who may be interested, the Ogden Gun Club is now offering a sporting clays course every other weekend. Bring your shotgun and shells, and expect to have a great time. April 20th and 21st 10am-dark, and April 19th under the lights (weather permitting). The OGC is a very friendly place, that will welcome new shooters or seasoned marksmen alike. Costs are $7 per round for non-members, and $6.50 per round for members. 10 punch passes are also available, $65 for non-members, and $60 for members. For more info, call Turtle at 80-540-1355.

Do they have their alcohol problem under control yet? Still amazed me how they'd have "no alcohol at the line" signs up yet not enforce it or let their shooters get absolutely sloshed on their tailgate then go shoot a round or even worse shoot their Annie's. At one point I was shooting 1,000 rounds a week at Ogden Gun Club, went to Vandalia, Ohio with their Scholastic Trap program, but I will never spend another dime there after how dangerous that place got. I brought it up once at their board meeting and got laughed out of the room. At one point that range was more of a drinking club than a gun club. I hope that has changed.
Greenhead_Slayer
Marksman

Postby Zacharia » Sun 14 Apr 2013 9:37 pm

I've never seen alcohol consumed in mass amounts, any inebriated folk, or alcohol at the firing line in my half dozen times there.

I've actually never even noticed the signs if they are still up either. Maybe one or two good ole boys sipping a beer in the club house.
Zacharia
Sniper

Postby pointman10 » Mon 15 Apr 2013 9:15 am

Greenhead_Slayer wrote:Do they have their alcohol problem under control yet? Still amazed me how they'd have "no alcohol at the line" signs up yet not enforce it or let their shooters get absolutely sloshed on their tailgate then go shoot a round or even worse shoot their Annie's. At one point I was shooting 1,000 rounds a week at Ogden Gun Club, went to Vandalia, Ohio with their Scholastic Trap program, but I will never spend another dime there after how dangerous that place got. I brought it up once at their board meeting and got laughed out of the room. At one point that range was more of a drinking club than a gun club. I hope that has changed.

I am a newcomer and just started going this winter, so my exposure is not lengthy. I do not tolerate excessive drinking and shooting, and I have never felt uncomfortable. I have seen beer consumed in the clubhouse, or by a fire barrel, but never in excess, and absolutely never at the line. I have also yet to notice someone I would consider "drunk" or even "tipsy" at the club, even in a non-shooting capacity.
pointman10
Novice

Postby Greenhead_Slayer » Mon 15 Apr 2013 10:46 am

That is good to hear. It has been a good few years since I've been out there.
Greenhead_Slayer
Marksman

Postby Maxterra » Tue 16 Apr 2013 4:46 am

Been out there a few times in the last couple of years with some family that are regulars.
Never seen anything wrong or questionable.
Maxterra
Marksman

Postby Greenhead_Slayer » Wed 15 May 2013 2:41 pm

I'm planning on going out to OGC tonight to shoot some trap and give them another try. I just bought me a citori trap special to go break in, come say hi if anyone is there and sees me.
Greenhead_Slayer
Marksman

Postby dewittdj » Wed 15 May 2013 8:22 pm

Just as you should never mix alcohol consumption with any activity involving machinery, power tools, physical agility, coordination, mental alertness, and motor vehicles; you should NEVER mix alcohol consumption with shooting!!!
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby Greenhead_Slayer » Thu 16 May 2013 8:17 am

It was a much better environment than the 10 years ago I shot there, but it still has some serious red flags. A few of the biggest no-no's I saw were:

1) No alocohol was on the line, however I did notice a few (probably 4-5) guys sipping on their beers and then getting called to go shoot and without second thought pick up their guns and go to the line. They by no means appeared drunk, but I still think it is insane to allow them to drink and go shoot. Once the beer can is open that shooter needs to be told they are done for the night. Better yet a no-alcohol allowed policy should be placed but based on previous experiences trying to get this mindset through to the directors I doubt that will happen.

2) Overall an extremely dangerous atmoshpere with lack of safety with. No ear protection, no eye protection, in some cases both coming from the same shooter. You'd think the person pulling the birds would be told don't pull a bird until everyone has eyes and ears.

3) I've never seen the "always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction" so blatantly broken. The biggest thing that made me cringe was people with over/unders or break action single shots carrying their gun broken over their shoulder with their muzzle over the shoulder pointing at everyone behind them. Yes, the actions were open and they were empty, I still think that is reckless and not responsible at all. I was impressed to see how many youth were there participating, but not impressed at the example for safety that was set for them.

4.) I guess they are sending their former President and Treasurer of the gun club to prison for embezzling $35,000 from the club. They had raised funds throughout the year to cover teams costs to shoot at state tournament and the Grand National. We had a similar thing happen when I was shooting the scholastic clay trap program. We raised $20,000 solely for the national tournament and ended up still paying for everything. There are some crooked people out there IMO.

As much fun as it was to shoot trap again, I think I'll continue to go to HAFB or Brigham for the future. A combination of alcohol, no eye or ear protection required, breaking the #1 rule for gun safety, and unethical directors creates an environment I'd rather not participate in or fund with my dollars.
Greenhead_Slayer
Marksman

Next

Return to UCC Events