Utah Guns Forum banner

Ogden Sporting Clays

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  UtahJarhead 
#1 ·
For those of you who may be interested, the Ogden Gun Club is now offering a sporting clays course every other weekend. Bring your shotgun and shells, and expect to have a great time. April 20th and 21st 10am-dark, and April 19th under the lights (weather permitting). The OGC is a very friendly place, that will welcome new shooters or seasoned marksmen alike. Costs are $7 per round for non-members, and $6.50 per round for members. 10 punch passes are also available, $65 for non-members, and $60 for members. For more info, call Turtle at 80-540-1355.

#3 ·
pointman10 said:
.... Costs are $7 per round for non-members,......
I nearly fell over backwards for a moment, :shocked:

#4 ·
I am posting this as a club member, as I do not work for the OGC. I am fairly new to shooting Sporting Clays; I may be wrong, but that price does not seem high to me. I think a box of 90 clay targets at wal-mart costs $9. So around $3 for targets, that only leaves $4 for overhead (facilities, throwers, manpower, etc). Seems like a decent deal to me. I can't afford 8 throwers, nor do I have the time or the land to set them up. I feel I get my money's worth.

#8 ·
Do they have their alcohol problem under control yet? Still amazed me how they'd have "no alcohol at the line" signs up yet not enforce it or let their shooters get absolutely sloshed on their tailgate then go shoot a round or even worse shoot their Annie's. At one point I was shooting 1,000 rounds a week at Ogden Gun Club, went to Vandalia, Ohio with their Scholastic Trap program, but I will never spend another dime there after how dangerous that place got. I brought it up once at their board meeting and got laughed out of the room. At one point that range was more of a drinking club than a gun club. I hope that has changed.

#9 ·
I've never seen alcohol consumed in mass amounts, any inebriated folk, or alcohol at the firing line in my half dozen times there.

I've actually never even noticed the signs if they are still up either. Maybe one or two good ole boys sipping a beer in the club house.

#10 ·
Greenhead_Slayer said:
Do they have their alcohol problem under control yet? Still amazed me how they'd have "no alcohol at the line" signs up yet not enforce it or let their shooters get absolutely sloshed on their tailgate then go shoot a round or even worse shoot their Annie's. At one point I was shooting 1,000 rounds a week at Ogden Gun Club, went to Vandalia, Ohio with their Scholastic Trap program, but I will never spend another dime there after how dangerous that place got. I brought it up once at their board meeting and got laughed out of the room. At one point that range was more of a drinking club than a gun club. I hope that has changed.
I am a newcomer and just started going this winter, so my exposure is not lengthy. I do not tolerate excessive drinking and shooting, and I have never felt uncomfortable. I have seen beer consumed in the clubhouse, or by a fire barrel, but never in excess, and absolutely never at the line. I have also yet to notice someone I would consider "drunk" or even "tipsy" at the club, even in a non-shooting capacity.

#15 ·
It was a much better environment than the 10 years ago I shot there, but it still has some serious red flags. A few of the biggest no-no's I saw were:

1) No alocohol was on the line, however I did notice a few (probably 4-5) guys sipping on their beers and then getting called to go shoot and without second thought pick up their guns and go to the line. They by no means appeared drunk, but I still think it is insane to allow them to drink and go shoot. Once the beer can is open that shooter needs to be told they are done for the night. Better yet a no-alcohol allowed policy should be placed but based on previous experiences trying to get this mindset through to the directors I doubt that will happen.

2) Overall an extremely dangerous atmoshpere with lack of safety with. No ear protection, no eye protection, in some cases both coming from the same shooter. You'd think the person pulling the birds would be told don't pull a bird until everyone has eyes and ears.

3) I've never seen the "always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction" so blatantly broken. The biggest thing that made me cringe was people with over/unders or break action single shots carrying their gun broken over their shoulder with their muzzle over the shoulder pointing at everyone behind them. Yes, the actions were open and they were empty, I still think that is reckless and not responsible at all. I was impressed to see how many youth were there participating, but not impressed at the example for safety that was set for them.

4.) I guess they are sending their former President and Treasurer of the gun club to prison for embezzling $35,000 from the club. They had raised funds throughout the year to cover teams costs to shoot at state tournament and the Grand National. We had a similar thing happen when I was shooting the scholastic clay trap program. We raised $20,000 solely for the national tournament and ended up still paying for everything. There are some crooked people out there IMO.

As much fun as it was to shoot trap again, I think I'll continue to go to HAFB or Brigham for the future. A combination of alcohol, no eye or ear protection required, breaking the #1 rule for gun safety, and unethical directors creates an environment I'd rather not participate in or fund with my dollars.

#16 ·
Greenhead_Slayer said:
It was a much better environment than the 10 years ago I shot there, but it still has some serious red flags. A few of the biggest no-no's I saw were:

1) No alocohol was on the line, however I did notice a few (probably 4-5) guys sipping on their beers and then getting called to go shoot and without second thought pick up their guns and go to the line. They by no means appeared drunk, but I still think it is insane to allow them to drink and go shoot. Once the beer can is open that shooter needs to be told they are done for the night. Better yet a no-alcohol allowed policy should be placed but based on previous experiences trying to get this mindset through to the directors I doubt that will happen.

2) Overall an extremely dangerous atmoshpere with lack of safety with. No ear protection, no eye protection, in some cases both coming from the same shooter. You'd think the person pulling the birds would be told don't pull a bird until everyone has eyes and ears.

3) I've never seen the "always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction" so blatantly broken. The biggest thing that made me cringe was people with over/unders or break action single shots carrying their gun broken over their shoulder with their muzzle over the shoulder pointing at everyone behind them. Yes, the actions were open and they were empty, I still think that is reckless and not responsible at all. I was impressed to see how many youth were there participating, but not impressed at the example for safety that was set for them.

4.) I guess they are sending their former President and Treasurer of the gun club to prison for embezzling $35,000 from the club. They had raised funds throughout the year to cover teams costs to shoot at state tournament and the Grand National. We had a similar thing happen when I was shooting the scholastic clay trap program. We raised $20,000 solely for the national tournament and ended up still paying for everything. There are some crooked people out there IMO.

As much fun as it was to shoot trap again, I think I'll continue to go to HAFB or Brigham for the future. A combination of alcohol, no eye or ear protection required, breaking the #1 rule for gun safety, and unethical directors creates an environment I'd rather not participate in or fund with my dollars.
The law says 0.08% just as it is with driving, so when they commit a crime or when they harm someone, I will be the first to step up. I do not believe that *I* can mix the two, but that's me. These guys appear to just be following the law.

Ultimately eyes and ears are up to the individual shooter. They are harming themselves, nobody else.

Breaking the firearms rules with regards to safety... that's a big no-no for me. Sounds like they need a real RSO. :)

#17 ·
dewittdj said:
Just as you should never mix alcohol consumption with any activity involving machinery, power tools, physical agility, coordination, mental alertness, and motor vehicles; you should NEVER mix alcohol consumption with shooting!!!
Heck yeah! Especially shotguns...that much recoil you could easily tip over a beer and waste some.

Mel

#18 ·
quychang said:
dewittdj said:
Just as you should never mix alcohol consumption with any activity involving machinery, power tools, physical agility, coordination, mental alertness, and motor vehicles; you should NEVER mix alcohol consumption with shooting!!!
Heck yeah! Especially shotguns...that much recoil you could easily tip over a beer and waste some.

Mel
YATA HEY! bahahahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.