Shooter vs. Shooter “Bowling Pin” style pistol competition

A place for members to plan events and activities that other members may be interested in. Shoots, BBQ's, etc.

Postby Roper » Tue 15 Oct 2013 10:16 am

Hey everyone,

I wanted to let you all know about a fun little event that I'm organizing. Anyone can email me at the address listed below if they have questions. Hoping to get a good turnout and see you out on the range!

Double elimination tournament with a cash prize for the top 3 finishers! All Skill levels welcomed!

How it works:
Two shooters come to the firing line where they will have a table in front of them. They will be instructed by the Range Officer to load their firearms and make ready (chamber a round). The starting position is low ready with the muzzle touching the table and finger off the trigger, outside of the trigger guard. At the signal, the shooters will raise their firearms and engage 7 targets. The targets will be foot-long wooden 2x4s on a wooden stand with last target being a wooden 2x4 popper. The first shooter to knock all their targets off their stand and drop their popper will win the round and advance to the next round. Being double elimination, the losing shooter will move to the loser’s bracket and have a second chance to reach the finals and win the tournament. Because we are using 2x4s instead of bowling pins, any caliber from .22 to .45 should work fine. A shooter could go through 10 rounds with a minimum of 7 shots per round, you’d probably want to bring at least 100 rounds of ammo to be safe along with your favorite semi-auto or revolver. We will run a “cold range” which means firearms will remain unloaded in a holster or case until the shooters are at the firing line and instructed to load. We do, however, encourage shooters to have magazines and speed loaders loaded before they are called to the line. All skill levels and anyone over age 18 are welcomed.

When:
October 26, 2013 - Shooters arrive at 6:00pm, shooting starts at 6:30pm

Where:
Sportsman’s and Lion’s Club Range in Pleasant Grove. 610 E Center Street, basement entrance on the west side of the building

Cost:
$10 - pay when you get there

What you need to do:
Register by sending an email to [email protected]... We really need to know who’s coming.

Why:
Because it’s way fun and it would make a sweet date night… and you could show off in front of your girlfriend or wife… or boyfriend or husband… and be crowned the greatest shooter in the world, or at least along the Wasatch Front. Actually, you’d just be the best shooter out of the people who show up. Either way, it’s gonna be fun!
Last edited by Roper on Wed 23 Oct 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon Roper
Utah CFP Instructor
NRA Cert. Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA Cert. Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle Instructo, RSO
IDPA SO and UDPL SO and Assistant Match Director
"I carry a gun because I can't carry a police officer."
Roper
Novice

Re: Shooter vs. Shooter “Bowling Pin” style pistol competiti

Postby gskip33 » Tue 15 Oct 2013 11:43 am

This sounds like a lot of fun, but I feel that someone running a 22lr would have a huge advantage over someone with a 45.
Would there be a way to fix that? Maybe make a centerfire division and a rimfire division?

Edited to fix autocorrect.
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Postby Zacharia » Tue 15 Oct 2013 11:56 am

gskip33 wrote:Would there be a way to fix that? Maybe make a centerfire division and a rimfire division?

Yes. Buy a .22 ;)

Though I dont personally know that there is an advantage.
My .22 misfires on occasion every 20-40 rounds probably. My xd has yet to misfire.
Zacharia
Sniper

Postby gskip33 » Tue 15 Oct 2013 12:09 pm

You have faulty ammo then IMO.
I've shot thousands of rounds out of my 15-22 and only have experienced a couple misfires. That's just with federal bulk.
If you use cci or other higher priced stuff, I doubt you would have any misfires.
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Postby manithree » Tue 15 Oct 2013 12:23 pm

Sounds fun. Is there a minimum age? I'm not worried about being too young, myself, :D I'm just wondering if I can bring my son (13).
It's not about the odds, it's about the stakes.
http://gunfacts.info/
manithree
Sniper

Postby JoeRandall » Tue 15 Oct 2013 1:22 pm

Sounds fun. I'll have to see if I can make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Intermountain Firearm Training
Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor
Utah Hunter Education Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Recruiter
JoeRandall
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Tue 15 Oct 2013 4:01 pm

manithree wrote:Sounds fun. Is there a minimum age? I'm not worried about being too young, myself, :D I'm just wondering if I can bring my son (13).

In the OP it says anyone over 18.
Snurd
Posse

Postby manithree » Tue 15 Oct 2013 4:20 pm

Snurd wrote:
manithree wrote:Sounds fun. Is there a minimum age? I'm not worried about being too young, myself, :D I'm just wondering if I can bring my son (13).

Doh! How'd I miss that?
It's not about the odds, it's about the stakes.
http://gunfacts.info/
manithree
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Tue 15 Oct 2013 4:21 pm

manithree wrote:
Snurd wrote:

Doh! How'd I miss that?

Walleye vision?
Snurd
Posse

Postby Roper » Tue 15 Oct 2013 4:34 pm

gskip33 wrote:This sounds like a lot of fun, but I feel that someone running a 22lr would have a huge advantage over someone with a 45.
Would there be a way to fix that? Maybe make a centerfire division and a rimfire division?

Edited to fix autocorrect.

I see what you're saying. A centerfire and rimfire division could make sense but it's a slippery slope because then someone says let's have a semi-auto division and a revolver division, or let's limit magazine capacity to 7 rounds or limit trigger pull to no less than 5lbs. or no magwell extensions or an optics division versus open sights or... well you know what I mean. I think it's the same thing everyone tries to figure out with IDPA or USPSA.

I think it needs to be "run what you brung" for now.

And to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if we are going to have 5 people or 50 people show up. With a low turnout, various divisions would muddy the water.

But I did test out the target set up with my Glock 17 and my Glock 23 with an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion just to see how the targets reacted when hit by a .22 versus the 9mm. For fun I was using my shot timer and my times were pretty close on both guns - just gotta get the recoil management dialed in. :wink:

But if we get this thing going where we have enough people coming out, maybe we could look at some various divisions.

I'm hoping to do one of these every other week.
Last edited by Roper on Tue 15 Oct 2013 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brandon Roper
Utah CFP Instructor
Roper
Novice

Postby Roper » Tue 15 Oct 2013 4:52 pm

manithree wrote:
Snurd wrote:

Doh! How'd I miss that?

Actually, I wonder if having the minimum age set at 18 is too high. I'd like to make this as fun and welcoming as possible for everyone. I wonder if age 12 and older with the parent being there at the firing line acting as a "supplemental range officer" would be reasonable. Main thing I worry about is the shooter keeping the gun pointed down range and the finger off the trigger until sights are on target. Then of course, safe loading and unloading and general firearm handling.

I'd be curious to hear some opinions - especially from RSOs / Instructors or anyone who has directed matches before.

Or, if I get a commitment from any other certified RSOs to come and help, I'd feel better about lower the age. I think we'd need to waive the entry fee for someone willing to help..
Brandon Roper
Utah CFP Instructor
Roper
Novice

Postby XSlevinn » Wed 16 Oct 2013 7:47 am

This sounds like fun. I'd definitely be interested.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
--------------------------
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Remington 552 Speedmaster
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby Tenuki » Thu 17 Oct 2013 12:03 am

Sounds like great fun, I would totally be down, but I'm already shooting the UDPL match that day and I won't have time to pull both. See you at the next one!
Tenuki
Marksman

Postby Roper » Thu 17 Oct 2013 11:31 am

Tenuki wrote:Sounds like great fun, I would totally be down, but I'm already shooting the UDPL match that day and I won't have time to pull both. See you at the next one!

I'm doing the UDPL match too that day. I was afraid of the conflict with UDPL but it was the only day I could get the range reserved. It's going to be a long fun day of shooting for me - which I'm excited about.

It's looking like the range is pretty well booked up on weekends in November so I'm going to organize one on a weeknight. Hopefully, enough people would still be able to make it out to make it worthwhile. I'd like to have this evolve into something we can do on a regular basis.
Brandon Roper
Utah CFP Instructor
Roper
Novice

Postby Photocell » Thu 17 Oct 2013 7:26 pm

I'm planning UDPL as well, but I would like shoot this as well. So maybe I'll see if I can make it.
Photocell
Marksman

Next

Return to UCC Events