Shooter vs. Shooter “Bowling Pin” style pistol competition

A place for members to plan events and activities that other members may be interested in. Shoots, BBQ's, etc.

Re: Shooter vs. Shooter “Bowling Pin” style pistol competiti

Postby rpyne » Thu 24 Oct 2013 7:49 pm

Roper wrote:Actually, I wonder if having the minimum age set at 18 is too high. I'd like to make this as fun and welcoming as possible for everyone. I wonder if age 12 and older with the parent being there at the firing line acting as a "supplemental range officer" would be reasonable. Main thing I worry about is the shooter keeping the gun pointed down range and the finger off the trigger until sights are on target. Then of course, safe loading and unloading and general firearm handling.

I'd be curious to hear some opinions - especially from RSOs / Instructors or anyone who has directed matches before.

Or, if I get a commitment from any other certified RSOs to come and help, I'd feel better about lower the age. I think we'd need to waive the entry fee for someone willing to help..

I wish I could be there, but I'm already committed for this week and will be out of town for most of November. I am an NRA certified RSO and would be happy to help as my schedule permits. I also know some other RSOs who would probably enjoy participating.

I like the idea of lowering, or eliminating, the age requirement, with proper waivers and supervision. I have met kids as young as six that would be fully competent for this kind of shoot. I also know people much older who I wouldn't want near the firing line, but that's another story. Anything we can do to promote shooting sports with younger generations is a good thing.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech as the 1964 Republican Presidential candidate.
rpyne
Expert Marksman

Postby gskip33 » Mon 28 Oct 2013 8:28 am

How did the event go? I wanted to come but was unable to get away for a day.
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Postby manithree » Mon 28 Oct 2013 10:15 am

All except for the (not unexpected, but public) finding out how bad I suck, it was a LOT of fun.

Roper ran it safely and professionally. It was simple, but very engaging. I haven't lost all desire to go Fun Shoots at Rangemasters, but this was more relaxed and fun. I'll go again if he does another one.
It's not about the odds, it's about the stakes.
http://gunfacts.info/
manithree
Sniper

Postby gskip33 » Mon 28 Oct 2013 11:56 am

How many people were there?
I really was wanting to go, but I just spent a bunch of money I don't have on a bunch of toys I don't need.
So yeah. Dang.
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Postby Roper » Tue 29 Oct 2013 4:12 pm

After Action Report:

I think overall it was a success. I was expecting more people based on emails I had received but since we had a smaller group, we were all able to shoot more and we all know, shoot more = better.

We had 12 people come so we did a practice round where everyone had a chance to shoot against someone as a warm up. Then we ran two tournaments with the winners of the two tournaments having a final shoot out. After that, some of us still had some time and ammo so we hung around and shot some more.

Even though I would have liked to see more people show up, I think we all had fun and I'm glad everyone had a chance to shoot more than just a couple matches.

I'm planning on doing this same type competition again but the next event is going to be different. I'm putting together a .22 rifle "poker shoot". I'll start a new thread but the overview is this: we have a target made up of 52 cards, faces showing with 1/2 inch dots on them. We draw 5 cards from an actual deck. We then have the chance to turn in whatever cards we don't want, then shoot at the cards on the target that we want to replace the cards we turned in and whatever cards we hit completes our hand. We are looking at shooting from 17 yards with a bench rest and you have to hit the 1/2 inch dot to get the card. That's for the shooters with scopes.

We want shooters with open sights to be able to participate so we are working on a course of fire that works for them too.

The range was pretty well booked up in November so I had to schedule this for a weeknight - it's going to be a Tuesday night, November 12th from 6:30pm to 10pm.
Last edited by Roper on Wed 30 Oct 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon Roper
Utah CFP Instructor
NRA Cert. Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA Cert. Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle Instructo, RSO
IDPA SO and UDPL SO and Assistant Match Director
"I carry a gun because I can't carry a police officer."
Roper
Novice

Postby Tenuki » Tue 29 Oct 2013 4:30 pm

When is the next Pin Shoot?
Tenuki
Marksman

Postby Roper » Tue 29 Oct 2013 5:27 pm

Tenuki wrote:When is the next Pin Shoot?

I'm thinking early December - I'll try to get the range reserved and let everyone know about it soon.
Brandon Roper
Utah CFP Instructor
NRA Cert. Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA Cert. Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle Instructo, RSO
IDPA SO and UDPL SO and Assistant Match Director
"I carry a gun because I can't carry a police officer."
Roper
Novice

Previous

Return to UCC Events