Utah Guns Forum banner

Get NFA weapons in 3-5 months / 2.22.14 Gun Trust Workshop

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  UTguntrustJ.D. 
#1 ·
Here's a new reason to do a gun trust - some dealers are seeing NFA applications approved in as little as 3 months when using a trust and the ATF's e-filing system. Shave as many as 7-10 months off the wait time!
We're holding another gun trust workshop on February 22nd where you can save 20% off the regular price of any of our trust levels. Register on our Events page at http://www.utahguntrusts.com.

#2 ·
I'll be putting the trust you put together for me and the new e file system to test as soon as the dealer gets my suppressor in stock.

If anyone is thinking about a gun trust, Jim here did an excellent job on mine, he is very knowledgeable and helpful. I definitely will recommend him to anyone thinking of a trust of any kind.

#4 ·
dewittdj said:
My concern with a trust is the fact that now YOU'RE registered as part of the application process, not just your NFA firearms.
How is that different from doing it without a trust. My Form 4 doesn't have someone else's picture on it.

Do you mean the application process for the trust?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Somewhere there exists a way to identify, by name, the members of the trust. Likewise, if the trust owns said firearms, then one can deduce that the name of the trust, as owner of the firearms is on file with the BATFE, and therefore, the names of the trust members/owners are now accessible to this stalwart organization as well.

:disgusted:

Or am I missing something?

#6 ·
I'm still a little confused.

If we're comparing a trust to the conventional way of getting a tax stamp through the CLEO sign-off, then you would be 'registered' either way.

The trust simply allows you to avoid the CLEO sign-off, which is good in areas where they may not sign, and it allows for others to be in possession of the NFA item... so you can safely leave them accessible to others (listed on the trust), without violating the law.

Either way, any person authorized to be in possession of the item will be 'registered' as you put it.

#7 ·
Do you only register the Class II items or all of your guns? I've seen a number of trusts where the entire gun collection was in the trust, allowing for easy movement of various firearms around the country and additional firearms were also purchased under the trust.

If you are only using the trust for Class II to avoid a local CLEO stamp, then it sounds like you are not taking full advantage of the features that a trust can provide.

#8 ·
The purpose of a gun trust in a NFA transfer is to avoid the CLEO signature and now days to save time on the transfer therefore most people only register the NFA items into the trust. You are also able to include your entire gun and accessory collection in the trust, but that detailed information is not required to list, merely a spreadsheet that you give to your trustee or keep in the gun safe will suffice, therefore it is not submitted to the BATFE.
Regardless of if you use a trust or not, the BATFE has your name registered to that NFA item, in the case of an individual transfer, they also have your picture and fingerprints.

#11 ·
I've been very interested in getting a Gun Trust, but I have also been interested in getting a Living Trust as well. Does anybody know how these two would play together? Can a Living Trust do everything that a Gun Trust can do, or do you need to have a separate and explicit Gun Trust to hold your firearms and NFA items? If you do need a separate Gun Trust, can the Living Trust hold the Gun Trust within it, or would they have to remain as two completely separate entities? I was hoping that a Gun Trust is just a subset of a Living Trust and that I could just do everything with one Living Trust. Any help on these particulars would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.