Utah Guns Forum banner

2017 Kickoff Dinner

22K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  Karl 
#1 ·
It's been a while since we have had a get together. My wife and I have been in contact with Wallaby"s and they are good with having an event there. The location would be in Sandy in what used to be the old quarry; 9228 S Village Shop Drive Sandy, UT 84092. Best case scenario is for a Tuesday night. I am thinking of the last Tuesday of January, the 31st, to give time for everyone who wants to attend the opportunity to prepare for attending. They are open until 9 pm. and I would look at 7 pm as a start time, of course you can always come earlier. I would need to contact them with number of people planning on coming so they can be sure to have enough staff on hand to accommodate or needs.

This event will be optional open or concealed carry, I will be contacting the open carry people trough Facebook as well. let's start the year off right and get reacquainted and eat some great BBQ in the process!

If this sounds good to you be sure to respond here with how many you will be coming with and I will need a final tally by January 20th.

#3 ·
This sounds good to me.

I will be attending and in the concealed carry mode.

My shoulder holster keeps my 45ACP warmer.

And I'm shy and don't like people gawking at it.

Marking my calendar now.

I know the place -- it is practically within walking distance on a warm summer evening.

Total number for me is 1.

#4 ·
Current schedule looks that I'll be able to make this-- and I don't have many "shy" firearms---- they all like to be OC'd and fully loaded!
So, if it remains 1/31 @ 1900 or so--- count me in for 1!

#9 ·
steelhawk said:
Would like to go, but it's a 90 mile or so trip for me to Sandy.
It isn't a contest but I've gone camping and dining with Open carry groups in Wenatchee, Washington and Richmond, Va---- Both were the primary event, not something I did while I was there doing something else! :type:

#13 ·
I was at a poker event at a pub in Salt Lake City recently (actually I go there a lot, but recently ...) when one of the other players who happened to be fairly drunken got really pissed at me because his girlfriend bumped into me as I was reaching back to the table for my card coin.

I weight 225 lbs and she weighed about 175 and it almost sent her reeling. I caught her however and helped steady her. She was glad but he became really pissed.

So he jumped up and glared at me, at which time I apologized profusely for bumping into his girl.

Alcohol makes people behave irrationally. Some people are mean drunks and become fighters when they drink.

Others (like moi) are happy drunks and become more romantic.

Normally quiet personalities become extroverted and chatty.

And the extroverts revert and invert to introversion sometimes.

Anyway, the whole thing made me re-think about my shoulder holster.

If he had gone for his mouse gun in his pocket I would have had to go for my 45ACP in my should holster, and he would have beaten me to the draw.

So I decided to switch over to my belt holster and a hip carry at 3 oclock instead.

I can draw from this concealed position in about 1.25 seconds (compared with open carry at less than 1 second). The shoulder holster would have required significantly more time.

Plus the nice thing about the 3 oclock hip carry concealed is that I can unconceal it simply by raising my sweatshirt above it and tucking the shirt behind the gun into the trousers.

Lesson learned.

If I see a lot of others open carrying at the dinner then I can easily unconceal that way too. So it is a versatile carry mode as well.

#14 ·
Anytime I am camping or hiking or backpacking I am always definitely in open carry mode, because that is in the wilderness and it may be necessary to react to danger within less than a second, and therefore concealed carry takes way too much time to draw and shoot.

For city life I prefer concealed carry because (1) it protects the weapon from the view of others and (2) it makes people less edgy. However the drawback will always be that concealed carry requires at least a fraction of a second longer to draw and shoot than open carry.

I love Utah's open carry law however, because it precludes the requirement to prevent "imprinting" of the concealed weapon, since you always have the option to carry openly versus concealed.

And I love that the CFP allows you to carry loaded and chambered whether openly or concealed.

Thank you Utah State Legislture and Governor !! Thank you !!!

#15 ·
Looks like Mr. Snurd will be there.

I am hoping to compare notes with him on his teaching his niece how to shoot compared with me teaching my x-girlfriend long ago.

I have found that trigger finger discipline is the one thing new shooters violate most often.

Plus my sister said she wants to learn how to shoot finally too. She used to be anti gun. But now she has changed her mind.

#17 ·
Looks like it might be just a small handful of us there, so one big table may be all we need.

But then we can all talk around the table about constitutional state carry, open carry, concealed carry, ballistics, collateral damage, training, practice, and our love of our guns.

I love my 45ACP. The first one I ever had was issued to me by Uncle Sam and it was a Springfield Armory 1911A1.

That combat pistol stood watch with me over every post I commanded as the O.D. or while I was a rifle range O.D.

I have since upgraded to the CZ 97B which is single or double action, like a Walther. I like that optional feature.

I know that the Glocks with their striker design fire faster than the double actions of the non-Glock designs. R.Lee Ermey talks about this in his documentary on Glocks vs the venerable 1911A1.

But I am not fond of Glocks. Guess I'm just Old School.

It will be interesting to discuss the Glocks and the 1911A1's and the other guns there.

And it will be uplifting to be in the company of other like minded kindred souls who are also always vigilant and who also do not take any crap from anybody or anything on this Earth.

#20 ·
Smart phone display appended your comments at the end of mine without and "end of quote" indication at the end of my comments. Don't see it now. Some must be fixed or it was a display problem on my little device.

#21 ·
Just as an aside, everything is ready for us on the 31st from 7-9 pm. You can show up earlier and if you do just let them know you are with the Utah Concealed Carry / Open Carry group. It has been arranged for us to occupy the horseshoe section and I have told them our numbers will be around 20 or so. Looking forward to seeing everyone a week from Tuesday at Wallaby's in Sandy. Address is on first post.

#22 ·
Cinhil said:
Just as an aside, everything is ready for us on the 31st from 7-9 pm. You can show up earlier and if you do just let them know you are with the Utah Concealed Carry / Open Carry group. It has been arranged for us to occupy the horseshoe section and I have told them our numbers will be around 20 or so. Looking forward to seeing everyone a week from Tuesday at Wallaby's in Sandy. Address is on first post.
Wow! That's a really good sized group.

I'll be there 10 minutes early just like Uncle Sam taught us to, in boot camp (for officers).

Looking forward to it.

#24 ·
Cinhil said:
Cinhil,

When we gather we anticipate that all participants will be on good behavior and leave a positive memory in the minds of all those participating and observing our group. As such, based on the online behavior of ONE individual who has "graced" our forum for the last few weeks I don't believe this will be the case. So, sadly, I will not be participating with this dinner.
I do hope my concerns will be proven to not be valid but at this point I am not willing to take the chance! :crying:

#25 ·
JoeSparky said:
Cinhil said:
Cinhil,

When we gather we anticipate that all participants will be on good behavior and leave a positive memory in the minds of all those participating and observing our group. As such, based on the online behavior of ONE individual who has "graced" our forum for the last few weeks I don't believe this will be the case. So, sadly, I will not be participating with this dinner.
I do hope my concerns will be proven to not be valid but at this point I am not willing to take the chance! :crying:
Don't go crying away just because I pointed out how Scalia disagrees with Bumpylight.

I won't bite you.

And Bumpylight already said he is not coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.