Guns on the Weber State Campus

Guns are often featured in the news media. Here you can post links to such news items and discuss them.

Guns on the Weber State Campus

Postby mkeeney » Tue 16 Feb 2016 7:07 pm

Thought this story was interesting, along with the follow up "Tweet" story:

http://www.standard.net/Police/2016/02/ ... lance.html

http://www.standard.net/News/2016/02/16 ... ampus.html

In the first story, the writer mentions the 1993 shooting that occurred at WSU. Yet, policy at the time prohibited the carrying of weapons on the campus, except by the police. It's funny how they writer relates that shooting to the present when licensed individuals are permitted to carry on campus. :evil:
mkeeney
Novice

Re: Guns on the Weber State Campus

Postby UtahJarhead » Tue 16 Feb 2016 7:41 pm

I open carry on Weber State campus irregularly. Haven't had any issues, yet. Had a rather liberal history professor that I don't think was uncomfortable with it, but he was open to discussion and recognized that it was a legal activity.

Edit: Just re-read the first article.

LOL! What?? They're crying FUD after a gunman was stopped... by a gun being present?
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby mkeeney » Tue 16 Feb 2016 9:20 pm

Out of curiosity, what do you carry when you open carry on campus?
mkeeney
Novice

Postby UtahJarhead » Tue 16 Feb 2016 9:47 pm

I only own one handgun suitable for carry. Ruger LCP. Most of my guns are rifles. I should fix that, though.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby Wrangler_dave9 » Thu 18 Feb 2016 9:57 pm

Also interesting that the article states that you must have a concealed carry permit to carry on campus, open or concealed. This is simply not true. Only K-12 schools are restricted to permit holders due to the Federal School safe zone.
Just another day in paradise.
Wrangler_dave9
Marksman

Postby jktseug » Fri 19 Feb 2016 8:41 am

Wrangler_dave9 wrote:Also interesting that the article states that you must have a concealed carry permit to carry on campus, open or concealed. This is simply not true. Only K-12 schools are restricted to permit holders due to the Federal School safe zone.

That is Federal law, but Utah has a law regarding Higher education.

http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapte ... 505.5.html

(1) As used in this section, "on or about school premises" means:
(a)
(i) in a public or private elementary or secondary school; or
(ii) on the grounds of any of those schools;
(b)
(i) in a public or private institution of higher education; or

(2) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or short barreled shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in this section.

(4) This section does not apply if:
(a) the person is authorized to possess a firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise authorized by law;
"Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy."
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
Robert A. Heinlein
jktseug
Expert Marksman

Postby Wrangler_dave9 » Sat 20 Feb 2016 12:50 am

jktseug wrote:
Wrangler_dave9 wrote:Also interesting that the article states that you must have a concealed carry permit to carry on campus, open or concealed. This is simply not true. Only K-12 schools are restricted to permit holders due to the Federal School safe zone.

That is Federal law, but Utah has a law regarding Higher education.

http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapte ... 505.5.html

(1) As used in this section, "on or about school premises" means:
(a)
(i) in a public or private elementary or secondary school; or
(ii) on the grounds of any of those schools;
(b)
(i) in a public or private institution of higher education; or

(2) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or short barreled shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in this section.

(4) This section does not apply if:
(a) the person is authorized to possess a firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise authorized by law;

I stand corrected. I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for reminding me. :mrgreen:
Just another day in paradise.
Wrangler_dave9
Marksman

Postby UtahJarhead » Sat 20 Feb 2016 12:15 pm

Wooooo! I'm famous! http://www.standard.net/Police/2016/02/ ... -firm.html

OGDEN — Art Scheel says he’s never been hassled by anyone for openly carrying a handgun on the Weber State University campus.

In the six years he’s been practicing open-carry at the university, he remembers only two people saying anything to him. “Both of them said something like, ‘Hey, I’m not trying to be nosy, but your firearm is showing,’” Scheel said.

The 37-year-old ex-Marine said he gets similar feedback elsewhere around Ogden — people are trying to be helpful, or they’re curious and want to talk firearms with him.

He said it’s possible the sight of his hip-holstered Ruger LCP might alarm some people, “but in the state of Utah I’ve never had anyone react that way. They’ve always been interested in it.”

Scheel, a computer science student, wanted to talk about open-carry on campus after news coverage recently of an incident when a woman on a shuttle bus called police, alarmed after seeing a man with a gun in his waistband. Police did not find the man and nothing became of the incident.

Scheel described himself as “an advocate for responsible open-carry.” People on campus and society in general could use more awareness and education about open-carry, he said.

“A lot of people who aren’t familiar with it don’t know how to break the ice,” he said. “But when they see someone actively open carrying. they don’t mind talking about it.”

Art Scheel, of Ogden, an ex-Marine and 37-year-old Weber State University student, advocates "responsible open carry" of firearms on campus. He is a concealed weapons permit instructor who openly carries his hip-holstered Ruger LCP handgun to class and study hall.

He said he enjoys that his open-carrying is a conversation starter.

Scheel also is a concealed firearms permit instructor. “I have a unique perspective on campus because I’m both an instructor and a student and I can see both aspects of it,” he said.

He objected to excessive “limelight” given to “people who are afraid of guns.” He’d like to see more recognition of the predominance of responsible gun owners.

Gun control, concealed-carry or open-carry haven’t received much attention at Weber State, Scheel said, “because no one has ever really cared.” He acknowledged there have been gun regulation controversies at the state’s larger universities, and he observed that a Supreme Court ruling a decade ago shot down any attempts by Utah universities to prohibit guns on campus.

“Fear, uncertainty and doubt” should not hold sway, he said.

While Scheel plans to keep carrying openly on and off campus, he said he has noticed no other open-carry practitioners at Weber.

Being noticed as armed in public is exactly why Darin Kendall, who manages an Ogden gun store, prefers not to openly carry.

“I don’t like to walk around in a grocery store with my gun hanging out,” Kendall said. “It’s not really necessary, and in the world we live in, too many people are kind of freaked out about that. It’s raising attention that’s not necessary, almost flaunting it.”

Kendall said he’s not against open-carry. “I open-carry all day at work — I work in a gun store — and when I’m on the mountain.” But around town or in stores, “I don’t want to be the one who walks around and freaks people out,” he said.

Kendall also sees a safety advantage in keeping his weapon concealed. In a bad-guy situation, he said, “If he looks over and sees someone with a gun, that’s the first guy he would shoot.”

Wearing a handgun visibly also makes the carrier a target for negative opinion. “I’m better off not carrying openly,” he said.

At the same time, Kendall said he respects open-carriers and appreciates their expression of their Second Amendment rights.

“They kind of remind people that we have every right to do that,” he said.

“So I don’t have a problem with it. but I have seen some of the negative repercussions, such as ‘Look at that [auto-filtered] over there with the AR-15.’ ”

Kendall said he knows a man who walked into a busy Riverdale store several years ago with an assault rifle strapped to his back. The incident caused a panic and heavy news coverage.

“Look how much negative press and opinions came out of that,” Kendall said. “What he did probably didn’t help the cause. People who don’t get it won’t understand it.”

Both Scheel and Kendall said controversy about open-carry stems from tension over the Second Amendment.

“The whole campus thing is really kind of goofy,” Kendall said. “The problem starts when our government starts making laws that say we can’t do things. If that wasn’t there, it wouldn’t be an issue. It is our right.”

Scheel said he believes even Utah’s concealed weapons permit requirement is an infringement.

He also said he’s never heard of any harm being done by a responsible gun owner carrying openly in Utah.

Colton Spencer, an employee of another Ogden gun store, said open carry should not even be debatable.

““We just feel it’s a constitutional right and if they want to do it they can do it,” Spencer said.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby UtahJarhead » Sat 20 Feb 2016 12:17 pm

I was REALLY worried that this bloke would spin my words around, but that's a pretty decent article for us.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby mkeeney » Sat 20 Feb 2016 1:58 pm

Just saw the article! At least I can put a face to the name now. Nicely done!
mkeeney
Novice

Postby Snurd » Sat 20 Feb 2016 3:34 pm

mkeeney wrote:Just saw the article! At least I can put a face to the name now. Nicely done!

I'm not sure anybody has seen his face. :lol2: Personally I only saw a beard with eyes. :shock: Good job Mr. McBeardface. :thumbsup:
Snurd
Posse

Postby UtahJarhead » Sat 20 Feb 2016 3:36 pm

Snurd, images in your signature are broken.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby Snurd » Sat 20 Feb 2016 3:38 pm

UtahJarhead wrote:Snurd, images in your signature are broken.

They are appearing on my computer.... :type:

I just tried using Safari and Chrome both.
Snurd
Posse

Postby UtahJarhead » Sat 20 Feb 2016 5:45 pm

Grrrr..... something's up with my Chrome install, then. Time to start killing extensions.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby DaKnife » Sat 20 Feb 2016 5:54 pm

I see Snurd's images.

And What did you do to get kicked out of the Corp Jarhead? The article called you an ex-marine. As I understand it, dems fightin words unless you get kicked out for conduct unbecoming.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Next

Return to Guns in the News