Idaho school Makes Their School a Hard Target

Guns are often featured in the news media. Here you can post links to such news items and discuss them.

Idaho school Makes Their School a Hard Target

Postby AlanM » Tue 15 Mar 2016 2:52 am

Wow!
I thought my relatives up in the Idaho panhandle were in the boonies.
They're in the big city compared to this school.
I once lived in a town that had a 300 student 4 year high school.
Before I started 8th grade we moved to Spokane and 5 years later I graduated in a senior class of 865 from a 3 year high school whose student body outnumbered the entire population of the town I used to live in.

This school has a K thru 12 enrollment of 235!!!

An Idaho Town Makes The Case For Guns In School

During the winter, it can take 45 minutes for police to arrive at Garden Valley High School — one of several reasons the district trains teachers to use guns stored in their classrooms. To some outsiders, it’s foolish. But to the people who live here, the solution meets the challenges that distinguish their home.

That's the starting paragraph of a long, but IMHO well written, article on this school district and their area and school.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Re: Idaho school Makes Their School a Hard Target

Postby AlanM » Tue 15 Mar 2016 3:11 am

As I said, it's a long article and I'm still reading it as I post this but this "factoid' and their solution jumped out at me.

Still, every year, a handful of school districts across the country consider arming their educators.
And for many, what hinders their efforts isn’t community opposition, but insurability.
In 2012, insurance companies in Kansas and Indiana informed districts that any schools where teachers carried guns would be declined coverage; in Oregon, the school board association has implemented a policy in which each school must pay a $2,500 premium per staff member who carries a weapon.
For districts already struggling with dwindling budgets, the premium is untenable.

Garden Valley’s weapons policy was approved by its Boise-based insurance company, and the board has assembled a plan to deal with the psychological and legal after-effects of an active shooter situation.
“Not everyone has thought of that,” Alexander told me.
“It’s going to be a difficult thing for that teacher to have to deal with that, if he shoots someone.
We feel like that’s part of the cost, part of the liability, and we accept that.”
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby D-FIN » Tue 15 Mar 2016 2:45 pm

That's why you don't arm teachers officially you just allow everyone the right to legally carry there.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby JoeSparky » Tue 15 Mar 2016 6:48 pm

D-FIN wrote:That's why you don't arm teachers officially you just allow everyone the right to legally carry there.

Since all school employees have a right to defend themselves and Parents have not only a right but a duty to defend their children---- any person who is able to lawfully carry a firearm and desires to do so should be allowed to carry in ALL public schools and Universities!
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Return to Guns in the News