Police Kill Florida Woman During Role-Playing Exercise

Guns are often featured in the news media. Here you can post links to such news items and discuss them.

Police Kill Florida Woman During Role-Playing Exercise

Postby RustyShackleford » Wed 10 Aug 2016 7:40 pm

Grossly Incompetent Police Kill Florida Woman During Role-Playing Exercise
Punta Gorda (FL) Police Department officer playing a “bad guy” in a role-playing scenario became a killer in real life when he pumped real bullets from a real handgun into a 73-year-old retired librarian.

A Punta Gorda police officer accidentally shot and killed a woman during a Citizens Academy on Tuesday evening.

Mary Knowlton, 73, was shot during a roleplay scenario in which the officer was playing a “bad guy” and fired several times at the woman who was supposed to be playing the victim, according to Sue Paquin, a photographer who was covering the event for the Sun and witnessed the incident.

Knowlton was transported to Lee Memorial Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The Punta Gorda Police Department hosted approximately 35 civilians from the community for a two-hour Citizen Police Academy, during which time two participants were randomly selected to be put through a “shoot/don’t shoot” scenario in which they make decisions on using simulated lethal force in a live role play, according to a press release from the department. http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/08/10/grossly-incompetent-police-kill-florida-woman-role-playing-exercise/?utm_source=thdailypm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl_pm&newsletterad=

This would be Criminally Negligent Homicide if this was done in the private sector (those not wearing a Badge).
Such as during a CCW class or any other course taught by (and shot by) a citizen instructor would be in handcuffs, arrested and booked. I hope this is followed closely and that "some" people’s eyes will open up to the Double Standard and the pass that those with a badge get in these kinds of situations. A 10 year old that has taken a Hunters safety course would know better than doing something this stupid and Criminal!
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Re: Police Kill Florida Woman During Role-Playing Exercise

Postby dewittdj » Wed 10 Aug 2016 8:17 pm

This is another example of why the NRA trainers must always follow the policies of "NO LIVE AMMUNITION IS ALLOWED IN THE CLASSROOM!" and ensuring each firearm is checked by at least two instructors prior to every demonstration, checking for a cleared firearm by removing the ammunition source, opening the action, and visually and physically checking the firearm to ensure that it is unloaded.

This is clearly an example of a negligent discharge resulting in manslaughter. :disgusted:
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby RustyShackleford » Thu 11 Aug 2016 4:06 am

As with the ND by the UT officer that shot himself in the foot with his rifle....they basically admitted negligent discharges for police are expected, ("just the nature of being around guns")...kind of a given so it seams for these professionals.
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby Dmc » Thu 11 Aug 2016 9:20 am

What happened to "never point your gun at something you are not willing to destroy"? It seems to me that this type of exercise would be best to use "blue" guns. If I were there I would decline to participate with real guns even if I personally checked all the guns. The thought of pointing my gun at a person sends shivers up and down my spine and I hope I never actually have to use my gun in a self defense situation. When I practice drawing from concealment I remove all live ammo from all magazines and lock it up, I then go to another room and load snap caps. I check 3 or 4 times before I start drawing and make sure I am isolated from people and drawing towards my basement concrete foundation. Perhaps I am overly cautious but I don't want to go through this kind of ND knowing I took a life needlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dmc
Novice

Postby jfwright1955 » Thu 11 Aug 2016 10:36 am

Dmc wrote:...It seems to me that this type of exercise would be best to use "blue" guns....

Exactly!

Unless there are extremely good reasons that require an actual firearm to be used in a role-playing scenario a SIRT pistol should always be used in my opinion. The obvious benefit are that no firearm that is capable of accepting live ammo is used in the interaction. A side benefit is that upon pulling the trigger the laser will strike the person to demonstrate the hit to the audience.

Heck, I've got a dedicated dry fire room with an S&W M&P 40 usually with a laserlyte cartridge installed. Even though I "know" it's not loaded I still do a chamber check and mag check every time I pick it up. And, I never, ever point a dry fire firearm at anything I'm not willing to destroy even though I'm confident it's never loaded with live rounds.

If you don't follow the rules verbatim when handling a firearm, whether you believe it to be loaded or not, it will always introduce the potential risk of a negligent discharge and the subsequent consequences, in this case deadly.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby CQBMarine » Mon 15 Aug 2016 9:00 am

Dmc wrote:I check 3 or 4 times before I start drawing and make sure I am isolated from people and drawing towards my basement concrete foundation. Perhaps I am overly cautious but I don't want to go through this kind of ND knowing I took a life needlessly.

There isn't such a thing about being overly cautious! Being smart, knowing what a firearm is capable of and understanding how to properly handle firearms whether loaded or unloaded should be the basis of anyone who has or uses firearms. Just because you carry one everyday doesn't make you exempt from mishandling one or receiving the punishment of said mishandling.
This video, http://youtu.be/eP6UvNgbqIA always comes to mind of how narrow minded/complacent some people can be because they carry day in and day out.

CQBMarine
'Never above you, Never below you, Always besides you'

NRA Life Member, NRA RSO, NRA Pistol Instructor

USMC 0341/ SGT
2006-2015
(CQB team member, SOTG Breacher, Combat Marksmanship Trainer, Combat Marksmanship Coach, USMC Basic Instructor)
CQBMarine
Marksman

Return to Guns in the News