Yet another "smart gun" design

Guns are often featured in the news media. Here you can post links to such news items and discuss them.

Yet another "smart gun" design

Postby AlanM » Fri 13 Jan 2017 5:11 am

MIT freshman tries to save lives with smart guns

When Kai Kloepfer points his .40 caliber handgun, it fires like any other weapon. But when someone else gives it a try, it doesn’t work. It’s the first firearm with same built-in security as many smartphones.
If the gun is picked up by an authorized user, a sensor recognizes the fingerprint and it will fire.

Guns that only work for their owners used to be the stuff of movies, like James Bond’s gun in “Skyfall,” but Kloepfer thinks he has the technology to make them a reality, reports CBS News correspondent Tony Dokoupil.

“I think this could be huge. I think it could really be the future of firearms,” Kloepfer said.

This quote by the inventor triggered nearly every commenter of the article:
Kloepfer said his gun is “relatively reliable.”

“I know, like, when I’m using it, when I’m testing it, it functions almost every single time,” Kloepfer said.

Best comment that I saw:
"The last thing you want to see on your gun when you really, really need it, is "404 fatal error".............................."
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Re: Yet another "smart gun" design

Postby Karl » Fri 13 Jan 2017 6:12 am

I would never trust these contraptions.
Karl
Marksman

Postby morcey2 » Fri 13 Jan 2017 11:14 am

Heaven forbid that you have to shoot it with gloves on or dirty hands. I have to deal with a fingerprint reader for work almost every day. On average it takes 3 tries for it to register correctly. If I wanted a gun that unreliable, I'd just shoot a flintlock in a rainstorm.

I had a discussion with a friend about smart guns a couple of years ago specifically about what happens when the electronics fail, such as when the battery dies. His thought was that it should make the gun inoperable and that would make it fail "safely". I asked him what he would prefer if that were his gun and the batteries failed when someone broke into his house. He isn't really an anti, just not really a gun guy, but he still thought it should become a brick.

Smart guns are a wonderful idea as long as you don't think about it. When you do you realize that they're a (really stupid) answer in search of a problem.

Matt
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
NRA Certified Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
morcey2
Expert Marksman

Postby Snurd » Fri 13 Jan 2017 11:19 am

Pumping money into safety training is much more "smart".

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Re: Yet another

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 13 Jan 2017 11:51 am

Snurd wrote:Pumping money into safety training is much more "smart".
Sent from iSnurd

:agree:
Education is by far the best answer. That, and enforcement of existing laws. Don't need "smart" guns nor new laws.

I agree with Matt. Having been stuck between security doors because the reader didn't work didn't exactly instill confidence in me back then nor would it now.

Anyone that's used an iPhone's fingerprint reader with wet or dirty hands or a boo-boo on the finger understands the downfall of the technology. I somehow doubt a bad guy's going to wait when I tell them I need to re-scan my fingerprint to unlock the gun to shoot them.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Return to Guns in the News