Jimmy Johns Robbery at Gunpoint

Guns are often featured in the news media. Here you can post links to such news items and discuss them.

Jimmy Johns Robbery at Gunpoint

Postby slykly1 » Fri 28 Apr 2017 1:09 pm

I just saw this on Facebook.

It is a video of a Jimmy Johns cashier calmly being robbed at gun point

http://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stories/video-of-jimmy-johns-workers-calm-reaction-to-armed-robbery-goes-viral/517208929

What would you have done? Would you have been this Calm and handed over the cash or would you have realized that the gun was jammed and either pulled yours or taken his? :raisedbrow: :dunno: :bat:
slykly1
Marksman

Re: Jimmy Johns Robbery at Gunpoint

Postby dimeclub » Fri 28 Apr 2017 2:25 pm

Even with the gun being jammed, having it pointed at his head, it was probably a good thing he remained calm.

-*-* Richard *-*-
Utah CFP Holder
FFL License Holder and Firearms Dealer
http://www.GunsOutWest.com
dimeclub
Novice

Postby Snurd » Fri 28 Apr 2017 2:57 pm

Not everybody knows how guns work. Yes, we can tell that the gun is jammed, but could someone who doesn't shoot regularly? Someone who isn't into guns? Probably not. They are probably more focused on the fact that a gun is in their face than if the gun is not in battery.

Sent from my iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby sypher » Fri 28 Apr 2017 3:37 pm

Another thing to consider, even if they are familiar with guns and how they work, I'm sure you are going to be more interested in the business end of it rather than checking to see if it's in battery. It's easy to see from the cameras angle that it's out of battery, it may have been a little harder from the cashiers perspective. Cashier did a good job of keeping a level head, and he went home at the end of the night.

Out of battery our not, I may have been tempted to try and disarm the robber due to the way he kept over reaching/extending himself over the counter.
It's easy to armchair quarterback sitting in the safety of my home without the adrenaline pumping through me :nilly:
Brian

NRA RSO
sypher
Marksman

Postby Cinhil » Fri 28 Apr 2017 4:58 pm

I haven't been robbed at gunpoint however, I have been attacked by someone overreaching a counter as this punk did. There are so many options for disarming or overcoming a situation like this so long as you've the knowledge and capability of discerning your options in a split second. This clerk was definitely cool in a stressful situation and I must give him some kudos for how he handled things. Best this was, he did get to go home at the end of the day and he will be a good witness t put this felon behind bars, so long as he is caught quickly, before he can/will do someone bodily harm, or cause the death of someone.
I was always taught by my father to observe where I am and go through all options available should I have to defend myself (in relation to where I may be working), or to be observant and aware as possible concerning my surroundings. That is what allowed me to get the better of my attacker - basically, home field advantage. This cashier did well under the circumstances and if smart will know more concerning all his options should he ever ave to face this situation again. And yes, I noticed the jammed cartridge too, and I am certain most of us would know something was wrong/out of kilter when the gun did sound right when he tried raking it which would invariable assist us in how we would act in this, or a similar situation.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby Doctor Jenks » Sat 29 Apr 2017 9:27 am

I think the clerk did well. Considering he was likely unarmed himself, I don't know if it would have been the best choice to resist. Out of battery or not. Even with hand to hand experience, you'd just be increasing the danger of the situation.
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby AlanM » Sat 29 Apr 2017 12:33 pm

The perp was caught yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDepIq4GKrg
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snurd » Sat 29 Apr 2017 1:14 pm

AlanM wrote:The perp was caught yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDepIq4GKrg

Excellent. :thumbsup:
Snurd
Posse

Return to Guns in the News