AZ tells armed drivers how to avoid deadly police stops

Guns are often featured in the news media. Here you can post links to such news items and discuss them.

Postby AlanM » Sat 22 Jul 2017 2:30 pm

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snurd » Sun 23 Jul 2017 8:15 am

While at a good idea for people to know how they should act during a traffic stop, they should also know what the laws are. It does note part of that in the article. One person pointed out that drivers should know their rights, like not having to allow a search of the vehicle.

This sort of helps, but mainly doesn't. It's only being taught to people getting their drivers license for the first time. So mainly young people. I think this will mostly be helpful to people who already have their license, or are legally allowed to carry a gun. I don't remember what the constitutional carry law says, is it 18 when they can carry?

Maybe they should send emails to people and have them confirm that they have read it, or send out flyers to current drivers. If they want everyone to know this, then everyone should know, not just new drivers.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Re: AZ tells armed drivers how to avoid deadly police stops

Postby jfwright1955 » Sun 23 Jul 2017 2:24 pm

Since moving to AZ a couple of months ago it does seem as if LEO's here are well educated and understand the firearm laws of the state, at least from what I've heard. While I'm not a big fan of Arizona's no-firearms signage carrying the weight of the law, the state does seem to support gun ownership and gun owners' rights for the most part.

While I agree it would be better if an individuals' rights were fully explained in the latest manual update, kudos to AZ for at least taking the initiative by trying to educate drivers as to how to appropriately respond to an officer when pulled over if they own a gun and its present in the vehicle. It's a good first step at least.

As is always the case, know the firearms laws -- as well laws governing other types of weapons -- of the state you live in and also those of the states you visit.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Re: AZ tells armed drivers how to avoid deadly police stops

Postby Photocell » Wed 26 Jul 2017 1:44 pm

I can't help but think that common sense in situations like these must not be as common as I would like to believe.
Photocell
Marksman

Return to Guns in the News