Where do you carry your folding knife?

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Where do you carry your folding knife?

Postby B Cart » Sat 13 Nov 2010 4:16 pm

So I like to carry a folding pocket knife with my every day carry setup. I normally clip it inside my back strong side pocket, but had it stolen from there a few weeks ago. I've tried clipping my knife in my front strong side pocket, but I can't stand hitting it every time I try to get my phone or keys out.

I know most of you carry a folding knife with you. I'm curious what you guys have found that works best.... Where do you clip your knife for the easiest access that is still comfortable?

Thanks
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper
B Cart
Sniper

Re: Where do you carry your folding knife?

Postby RanzITman » Sat 13 Nov 2010 6:34 pm

I don't carry a folder but I do carry an OTF knife. Like you I clip in my strong side back pocket. It's the only place it makes sense to me. How on earth did you get it stolen from there :huh: Shy of a "grab and run" I would think your situational awareness as a CC'r would make that very difficult.

I my case I would find a better way to secure it. I don't think any other place would work for me.
RanzITman
RanzITman
Expert Marksman

Postby thejerk » Sat 13 Nov 2010 6:35 pm

Since I pocket carry most of the time now, I always keep mine at 4:00 on my waist, with the knife inside my jeans and the clip behind my belt. It doesn't bother me at all and never gets in the way and is easily accessible. I imagine this would be uncomfortable for anybody with love handles or with a larger knife. My Spyderco Delica rides very comfortably. YMMV.
thejerk
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Sat 13 Nov 2010 7:41 pm

I carry a folding knife in my strong side front pocket. Doesn't really bother me. :mrgreen:
Snurd
Posse

Postby schmack » Sat 13 Nov 2010 8:20 pm

Clipped on strong side front pocket unless I'm OCing strongside, then I switch it to weak side front pocket. I really like pants that have a small pocket just above the outside of my knee, and when that's there I clip my knife there.
"The American republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."
-Alexis De Tocqueville
schmack
Marksman

Postby DonSeher » Sun 14 Nov 2010 8:50 am

my knife sits on my non-shooting side at about 8 oclock. So i can defend against someone grabbing for my gun.
H&K USP Tactical .45
Bersa Thunder .380
Rueger 10/22
Mossberg 500
DonSeher
Marksman

Postby schmack » Sun 14 Nov 2010 10:15 am

DonSeher wrote:my knife sits on my non-shooting side at about 8 oclock. So i can defend against someone grabbing for my gun.

That's exactly my reasoning for switching my knife to my weak side pocket when OCing, as stated above. I can resist with my right hand on my gun while my left hand flips open my knife and defends as aggressively as needed. Got the idea from a LEO friend of mine who used to carry a small revolver in his weak side pocket when he was on patrol. Bad guy grabs his gun, he keeps BG from firing it with his strong hand, pulls BUG from weak side pocket and ends the struggle.

That, and my barrel sometimes hits the top of my knife when they're on the same side.
"The American republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."
-Alexis De Tocqueville
schmack
Marksman

Postby dewittdj » Sun 14 Nov 2010 10:18 am

If the situation allows, I wear either 5.11 or NRA trousers that have "knife pockets" a.k.a. "magazine pockets" on the left and ride sides at 9 and 3 respectively and have a folding knife clipped in each. My more expensive knife has a clip that is an integral part of the frame and is extremely difficult to remove from the right side (strong side) using my weak side (left) hand in a cross draw movement. If fashion doesn't allow, then I'm stuck with it clipped inside the strong side pocket and banging my hand against it when retrieving pocket change.

I'll have to try the IWB mentioned in this posting. It obviously allows for an expanded "double carry" throughout a limited wardrobe.
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby faydee » Sun 14 Nov 2010 6:31 pm

schmack wrote:
DonSeher wrote:my knife sits on my non-shooting side at about 8 oclock. So i can defend against someone grabbing for my gun.

That's exactly my reasoning for switching my knife to my weak side pocket when OCing, as stated above. I can resist with my right hand on my gun while my left hand flips open my knife and defends as aggressively as needed. Got the idea from a LEO friend of mine who used to carry a small revolver in his weak side pocket when he was on patrol. Bad guy grabs his gun, he keeps BG from firing it with his strong hand, pulls BUG from weak side pocket and ends the struggle.

That, and my barrel sometimes hits the top of my knife when they're on the same side.

that is very good advise thanks!
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper

Postby Steel Rain » Sun 14 Nov 2010 6:50 pm

Clipped to my strong side front pocket; doesn't bother me.
Steel Rain
Marksman

Postby Wolfman » Tue 16 Nov 2010 9:09 pm

The little watch pocket (or whatever it is for) in and above the right pocket of my jeans. It sits an inch proud, and is easy to extract. Quick enough that when I pull it out for regular use, people routinely say" where did that come from?"
Wolfman
Marksman

Postby closecombat » Wed 24 Nov 2010 9:30 am

schmack wrote:

** Just food for thought**
Once you have your knife in your hand, what do you do? Stab? Slash? and if so, where? have you ever practiced this drill? Have someone tackle you and try to take your gun. Protect your gun with your firing hand and then find and deploy your knife. If it's not muscle memory, don't rely on it to save your backside when the adrenaline is pumping and everything starts moving in slow motion.

I dont' have all the answers, but I have some. and I will gladly share them.
closecombat
Novice

Postby desert rat » Thu 16 Dec 2010 12:52 pm

My Benchmade clips in the outside edge of my right front pocket.

I've grown used to sliding my cell phone and iPod Touch past it in and out of my pocket.
Scars are proof.
desert rat
Marksman

Postby ranger45 » Thu 16 Dec 2010 3:16 pm

Weak side rear pocket. Weak side for reasons mentioned above, and can't get stuff in and out of my front pockets with my knife cliped in front. But I'll have to give weak side IWB a try sometime.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
ranger45
Sharp Shooter

Postby DMac » Thu 16 Dec 2010 3:30 pm

I carry a SOG Flash II cliped to the outside corner of the small change pocket on my right side (the main portion of the knife slides into the main pocket) - perfect size and very quick access for me. I only carry money in that pocket, cell and keys are in left pocket. When wearing other than jeans it goes clipped to the left hand pocket unless I flip the clip around (not often). This works well for me in all carry situations (CC, OC) but your mileage may vary.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
DMac
Marksman

Next

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.