Where do you carry your folding knife?

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Re: Where do you carry your folding knife?

Postby Pistol Pete » Sat 25 Dec 2010 8:23 pm

schmack wrote:
DonSeher wrote:my knife sits on my non-shooting side at about 8 oclock. So i can defend against someone grabbing for my gun.

What kind of knive do you have, I was going to get a small Benchmade "Infidel" OTF knive for my weak side front pocket, but now I heard of an Emerson that when you flick it it opens up. :dunno: the name of this knive, i can look it up but I am interested to hear what others carry.
Pistol Pete
Marksman

Postby Pistol Pete » Sat 25 Dec 2010 8:42 pm

closecombat wrote:
schmack wrote:[quote="
** Just food for thought**
Once you have your knife in your hand, what do you do? Stab? Slash? and if so, where? have you ever practiced this drill?

Correct you are brother, I will have my neighbor kid 21 years old (former HS Wrestler) very strong, big guy tackle me and try to disarm me. I am going to use a rubber knive in my front weak hand side pocket and see what I can do.

I have done alot of training of disarming someone pointing a gun (rubber gun) at me from the front, side back, in my gut, and it is fun to learn these moves. It is another thing to have a BB gun, Airsoft, Simm Gun, pointed at you and try to disarm the threat without getting shot. Of course I had protective gear while attempting such craziness. :shocked:
Proud to say I done this a few times with different people and never got shot. I heave done some training with Simm Guns, and the "bad guy" comes running out from behind a wall 21' away and you are to draw from your holster and get a shoot or two off and hit the bad guy. Most of the people who like me train drawing from the holster were able to hit our target.

So what do you suggest? A slash, or a punch/slash, I woud think> But for me a stab will have to be many stabs in as fast as I can. However, how long does it take for someone bleed out?
Pistol Pete
Marksman

Postby desert rat » Tue 28 Dec 2010 3:53 pm

Pistol Pete wrote:What kind of knive do you have, I was going to get a small Benchmade "Infidel" OTF knive for my weak side front pocket, but now I heard of an Emerson that when you flick it it opens up. :dunno: the name of this knive, i can look it up but I am interested to hear what others carry.

My Benchmade Griptillian (axis lock) opens when "flicked" but you have to disengage the lock first...
Scars are proof.
desert rat
Marksman

Postby faydee » Sun 02 Jan 2011 1:14 pm

personally i think a first slash will get them to release you or 3-4 slashes and could even render their arm usless depending on the depth of your slash... i am going to get one of those knives that look like a cats claw or talon and think they make very effective slashing weapons.

Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper

Postby BrandonK » Mon 07 Feb 2011 3:59 pm

personally i think a first slash will get them to release you or 3-4 slashes and could even render their arm usless depending on the depth of your slash... i am going to get one of those knives that look like a cats claw or talon and think they make very effective slashing weapons.

Tha't cool but my folding knife is nice too similar this one..
"Whether the throwing knives falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers”
BrandonK
Novice

Postby steelhawk » Fri 18 Mar 2011 12:11 pm

I keep mine clipped inside my weak side front pocket. I tried the strong side, but that didn't work out. My keys go in the strong side front pocket. I have carried them there for years, long before I had a permit, and I decided not to change that. The knife and keys didn't go well together. I also only carry a little change or a few small bills in the left front pocket so it doesn't interfere with the knife.
Owner, Bear River Holsters www.BearRiverHolsters.com
Email: [email protected]

America is about to be restored!

Are you part of the Inn crowd or one of the Stable few?
steelhawk
Expert Marksman

Postby Crash » Fri 18 Mar 2011 12:21 pm

Crash...
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
Crash
Sharp Shooter

Postby Korben88 » Fri 18 Mar 2011 8:10 pm

I carry mine in my strong side back pocket. I haven't had any problem except the clip loosening up and falling out when I get out of the cr or off the couch. But a little squeeze with some pliers and its good as new again.
Utah CFP instructor ~ NRA Pistol Instructor ~ NRA Rifle Instructor

http://www.aegisfirearmsinstruction.com
http://www.facebook.com/aegisfirearmsinstruction
Korben88
Sniper

Postby moyler » Fri 18 Mar 2011 8:24 pm

People carry just one knife?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.realworldpds.com/
Suarez International Staff Instructor
www.suarezinternational.com
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Pistol, PPIH Instructor, RSO
moyler
Sniper

Postby Korben88 » Fri 18 Mar 2011 8:28 pm

moyler wrote:People carry just one knife?

That's where I carry my folding knife....
Utah CFP instructor ~ NRA Pistol Instructor ~ NRA Rifle Instructor

http://www.aegisfirearmsinstruction.com
http://www.facebook.com/aegisfirearmsinstruction
Korben88
Sniper

Postby oddthought » Sat 21 May 2011 4:30 pm

Strong side front pocket for my Kershaw Leek. I can get to it easily with my weak hand, and it's a one-hand open system. When I carry, it's usually around 4-5 o'clock, so I don't feel like there's that much interference. Much to my phone's probable dismay, my car key, phone, and knife all have their home there in that pocket.

If I were to be attacked, I would hold the knife with the blade out (so if my left hand were palm-down, the blade would be out and to the left). I feel like that would give the best options for using the larger triceps for stabbing, or familiar punch-like motions for slashing. That said, self-defense is just a bonus in my mind for my knife.
Common sense: what an odd thought.
Your best safety is between your ears. Use it early, and often.
Ruger SR9c
oddthought
Novice

Previous

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.