I need knife help (recommendations)

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

I need knife help (recommendations)

Postby Paul » Wed 24 Nov 2010 1:44 pm

I need some recommendations for a EDC knife with some specific requirements.
1. One handed opening ability (that actually works 1-handed! And is SIMPLE to use 1-handed and QUICK to open)
2. 3" blade (give or take. doesn't need to be huge)
3. Under $50 (give or take)
4. Holds a decent edge
This is just your run of the mill EDC knife used for everything a guy needs a knife for!
So what do you recommend I look at?
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Re: I need knife help (recommendations)

Postby Zacharia » Wed 24 Nov 2010 2:06 pm

I just got some from Big 5 on sale for $5 each (normally $30 I think). They are 440 ss and made by a company called MTech. It feels good and solid and has a good solid lock on it.
I'm sure they won't last you 10 years but they meet my needs very well thus far.
I haven't used it heavily, just opening boxes and cleaning and skinning one chicken, but its edge is still good and sharp after that limited use.
It opens very easily one handed. Has both a nub on the back that you push down to start opening it (pivots the blade) and a knob on the blade to due the rest of the job. I just put a little pressure on the nub on the back and a little flick and it pops right open.
It doesn't open too easy to fall open in my pocket.

There are hundreds of options just like this at any sporting goods store. $5 for this particular model is a good deal though (my opinion), you might check it out.

I know a few people here love their Benchmade Mini-griptilian knives and have used them for years. But that is a little over your price range.
Zacharia
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Wed 24 Nov 2010 2:31 pm

I recently snagged a CRKT M16-03Z. Easy to open and easy to close with one hand. That is the one at the top of the photo. Spyderco Tenacious, also easy to open one handed. Both about $35 or so on Amazon.com. the CRKT was $50 at sportsman's. The Spyderco is nice. I like the CRKT better, and it's sharper.

Snurd
Posse

Postby lmj301 » Wed 24 Nov 2010 2:50 pm

I recomend CRKT

the steel isn't the best, but they take a beating.

the Customer service is great. One that i had for three years (EDC in construction, used as razor, hammer, and chisle etc.) lost it's pocket clip. I went to the web site and ordered all new screws, clip, and teflon bushings. they came free of charge. i rebuilt the knife for free only to loose it about a month later.

they have the standard liner lock and most have the LAWKs or autoLAWK system that locks the liner lock so that the knife cannot fold.

the M-XX seriese also has a great hilt that prevents your hand from slipping onto the blade.
lmj301
Sharp Shooter

Postby Cinhil » Wed 24 Nov 2010 3:30 pm

CRKT is good, the Lake series would work for you as well as the M16 series spoken of earlier. M-Tek makes a reasonable knife for a inexpensive cost. As for the type of steel--that's all up to what you may be looking for. I discussed metal types in an earlier post (no time to check for that at the moment--at work on a quick break).
As for ease in opening, many knives & brands would work. It is best to either get a thumb assist, or a knife you can loosen to your best feel through working it to where, and how you want it to open. This usually nets a quick wrist flick and it's open & locked in place.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby m&p40 » Wed 24 Nov 2010 3:52 pm

I have a kershaw Leek model knife. Its just over 3" and it opens very easily with one hand. It also has good steel for the price range. I would venture to say it has the best steel for under 50(as far as hardness is concerned).
m&p40
Marksman

Postby Snowman » Wed 24 Nov 2010 3:58 pm

Cold steel AK-47. 2.75 in blade. Flicks fine, large thumb stud that also doubles as a pocket catch, meaning that when you pull it out of your pocket, you can catch the stud on the seam of the pocket and it opens on the way out. Very cool. the blade is AUS-8, and the body is metal, very sturdy knife. :thumbsup:

http://www.google.com/m/products/detail ... 5240431695
Last edited by Snowman on Wed 24 Nov 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Springfield 1911 black loaded target. 460 Rowland.
M&P 40 Pro.
RSO.
To be voluntarily disarmed is to rely on the honor of the dishonorable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Snowman
Sniper

Postby MarshallDodge » Wed 24 Nov 2010 3:59 pm

It is a little more than your budget but I would recommend the Benchmade Mini Griptilian. I have carried mine since 2003 and it has served me well. Love the Axis lock, makes opening the blade very smooth. Blade is 154CM and they are made in the USA.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Paul » Wed 24 Nov 2010 4:02 pm

You guys rock! Thanks!

I have had a few cheap knives and just never really had one that really worked that well one-handed to open. (Maybe cause I'm a lefty ehhh? JK)
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby Snurd » Wed 24 Nov 2010 4:16 pm

One thing that I really like about the CRKT, is that with an easy flip of the finger, the knife opens all the way. You don't have to flick your wrist to get it to open. With the Spyderco knife that I mentioned earlier, sometimes it won't open all the way unless I flick my wrist just right. Now a major deal, but still annoying. The CRKT is really slick. :thumbsup:
Snurd
Posse

Postby Brandonsc » Wed 24 Nov 2010 5:43 pm

My most often carried EDC knife. Spyderco Delica 4.

Check out the SOG Flash II. Its a larger EDC knife, but Its super lightweight for the size.
Brandonsc
Novice

Postby JoeSparky » Wed 24 Nov 2010 7:06 pm

I got one from Tactical Edge in Pleasant Grove for about $40.00 if I recall correctly.

440 Stainless with pocket clip, spring-loaded extension with push button actuation. Tried to do some pics but my cell phone pic modification foo is lacking.

It must be manually returned to the retracted position by sliding the blade back into the handle will holding the actuating button down... sort of a 2 handed operation to close but very easy single hand opening.

I would not recommend this type of knife for "whittling".
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby zozo » Thu 25 Nov 2010 1:12 am

Delica is a great choice. You might also consider the Spyderco Native ($54.23 here: http://yourcornerstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28000.

If you don't mind a liner lock, the Spyderco Persistence is a terrrific deal ($34.98 here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spyderco-Persistence-Knife/14245179)
zozo
Novice

Postby zozo » Thu 25 Nov 2010 1:14 am

Just read a little more thoroughly. If you're a lefty, you're not going to have much fun with a liner lock. Your best bet is backlock--skip the Spyderco Persistence.
zozo
Novice

Next

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.