Kershaw Breakout: A True EDC Auto

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Kershaw Breakout: A True EDC Auto

Postby Gyrase » Wed 11 May 2011 12:17 pm

I'm a long time user of Kershaw's Leek line of knives and I've loved every blade I've bought from them so when I saw that they had made an auto knife at a very reasonable price (<$70) I had to have it. The Breakout is ~4.5 in. long when closed and has ~3.5 in. of usable blade but the best dimension is the width .366 in. minus the clip. :shock:

The knife is so much thinner than any other auto I've seen that it amazes me and it makes the blade a pleasure to carry. The auto action is very fast and has a strong kick to it, i.e. it will fly out of your hand if you let it. The blade is 14C28N steel and it stayed sharp with daily use for several months, I just recently sharpened it for the first time and it took an edge well. I have several bald spots on my arms and legs to prove it. :lol2: The blade lock up is very strong and the blade has no discernible play to it open or closed. The only miss is that lock is on the side opposite the firing button which make it inconvenient to use but not impossible. I gave up using the lock after a few days and it hasn't deployed accidentally on me yet through daily carry clipped to my right front pocket. It can only be carried in the tip up configuration but the clip can be put on either side. I always carry knives tip up so it wasn't a big deal to me.

After a few months the anodized aluminum scales are starting to show some wear but given that it rides in my pocket daily I'm not really surprised, it would be nice if the frame had a tougher finish on it though. I may try to get it cerakoted one of these days. Here are the obligatory pics:

photo-1.JPG
Kershaw Breakout (upside down for some strange reason)
photo-1.JPG (95.39 KiB) Viewed 2672 times

photo-2.JPG
Kershaw Breakout with a Leatherman Wave for width comparison
photo-2.JPG (119.33 KiB) Viewed 2670 times

And lastly some big props for Kershaw's customer service. After getting the knife I looked in their 2011 catalog and didn't see either of their auto knives listed so I was worried they might stop making them. I sent them a quick e-mail telling them how much I loved the Breakout and that I would love to buy more auto knives in the future if they would keep making them. I got an e-mail back thanking me for the feedback and ended up exchanging a few more e-mails with the representative. In one of the e-mails I mentioned that I also loved the reverse tanto blade shape that they put on the Random Leek and that I was really sad when I lost that knife. A week later I got an e-mail back thanking me for the feedback and they offered to send me a complimentary limited edition random leek to replace the one I lost! The knife retails for over $70, they really go above and beyond to make their customers happy.
"The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought." Candidus (Samuel Adams), The Boston Gazette Oct. 14, 1771
Gyrase
Expert Marksman

Re: Kershaw Breakout: A True EDC Auto

Postby B Cart » Wed 11 May 2011 5:34 pm

Gyrase wrote:A week later I got an e-mail back thanking me for the feedback and they offered to send me a complimentary limited edition random leek to replace the one I lost! The knife retails for over $70, they really go above and beyond to make their customers happy.

That is great customer service! I've had multiple Kershaw knives over the years and I currently carry the Tanto Blur. I have been very happy with all their knives that I've owned, and the breakout looks sweet! I may have to pick one of those up :D
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper
B Cart
Sniper

Postby Gyrase » Thu 19 May 2011 7:53 pm

Just a quick update:

I sharpened the knife up to a 20 degree angle and shortly thereafter had a chance to try it out on some real flesh. I'm pleased to report that it is razor sharp and easily passed through several layers of skin with little or no resistance. :thumbup:

On an unrelated note: I still highly recommend the knife but I can no longer endorse carrying it without the lock on.

:oops:
"The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought." Candidus (Samuel Adams), The Boston Gazette Oct. 14, 1771
Gyrase
Expert Marksman

Postby JoeSparky » Thu 19 May 2011 7:57 pm

Gyrase wrote:Just a quick update:

I sharpened the knife up to a 20 degree angle and shortly thereafter had a chance to try it out on some real flesh. I'm pleased to report that it is razor sharp and easily passed through several layers of skin with little or no resistance. :thumbup:

On an unrelated note: I still highly recommend the knife but I can no longer endorse carrying it without the lock on.

:oops:

hydrogen peroxide is good for removing blood from clothing but rinse well after so the clothing doesn't get bleached from the peroxide! :type:
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby Gyrase » Thu 19 May 2011 8:20 pm

Fortunately I was wearing Propper Lightweight Tactical Trousers which have a teflon coating so the blood came right off, I didn't even have to wash them.
Gyrase
Expert Marksman

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.