Methods of CC'ing a Knife

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Methods of CC'ing a Knife

Postby Matapatos » Wed 08 Jun 2011 9:33 pm

If I was to conceal and carry a Shrade Trail Boss, how would I go about doing so? Blade is 5.6", 10.75" overall length. And I have all the legal stuff out of the way, I am just asking about sheaths and the best methods of concealing them where they'll be readily accessible in a tight situation.

Any info on this would be great! I know I can slip a folding knife in my pocket, but the straight blades are where I'm concerned...
Travis
" If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. "
- Ronald Reagan, October 27, 1964
Matapatos
Novice

Re: Methods of CC'ing a Knife

Postby Car Knocker » Thu 09 Jun 2011 7:27 am

If I were looking to conceal a fixed-blade knife, I think I would initially research the practicality of a horizontal belt sheath under an untucked shirt. If the shirt HAD to be tucked in, a bellyband would probably be a consideration. Somewhat further down the list would be an ankle sheath.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby Gyrase » Thu 09 Jun 2011 10:32 am

You can carry a light fixed blade like the cold steel spike on a lanyard around your neck but use a quick release on the lanyard so you don't get strangled with it. Having eaven a light knife hanging around your neck all day gets annoying though. I've also tried carrying a large fixed blade horizontally across the small of my back but it isn't practical in any situation other than walking around. In my opinion there really isn't a good way to daily CC a large fixed blade unless you plan to wear a specific cover garment at all times. You might want to look into a folder with a really solid lock up. Zero tolerance makes some folders that are ridiculously over built.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you wanting to carry a large fixed blade? There are better defensive weapons out there that are much easier to conceal.
"The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought." Candidus (Samuel Adams), The Boston Gazette Oct. 14, 1771
Gyrase
Expert Marksman

Postby Matapatos » Thu 09 Jun 2011 8:40 pm

That is the blade I'm using as a hunting knife so its what I have... I was just wondering because a knife seems like a great back up weapon, especially in close quarters. And some people will back down for a blade that wouldn't back down for a gun, I've heard. I could be wrong, as I am more than 50% of the time, so please correct me if I am!

I also understand that having a knife and not knowing how to use it can be very hazardous... Very very hazardous... Any suggestions?
Travis
" If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. "
Matapatos
Novice

Postby MarshallDodge » Fri 10 Jun 2011 6:08 am

I would look at an IWB (Inside the WaistBand) sheath designed for appendix carry with an inward cant or a shoulder rig that holds the knife inverted for ease of access.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Gyrase » Fri 10 Jun 2011 7:08 am

Matapatos wrote:That is the blade I'm using as a hunting knife so its what I have... I was just wondering because a knife seems like a great back up weapon, especially in close quarters. And some people will back down for a blade that wouldn't back down for a gun, I've heard. I could be wrong, as I am more than 50% of the time, so please correct me if I am!

I also understand that having a knife and not knowing how to use it can be very hazardous... Very very hazardous... Any suggestions?

I've always figured that in a situation that a knife would be useful I could probably remove myself from the situation easier than I could fight my way out. If the guy has a gun then a knife is a bad idea and if he has a knife/club then he has limited range and I can run. That really only works if you are in reasonably good shape. This also assumes that you don't get cornered so it isn't a perfect system. :dunno:

I would favor carrying a spare mag or two over a large knife. I've always been under the impression that a gun is much more intimidating than a knife though. I do always carry a decent sized folding knife, just in case, and I use it all the time so carrying it is actually very practical. You can carry a folding knife clipped to a pocket where it is visible and no one takes notice, a large fixed blade would probably attract more attention and is more difficult to conceal. There are some large inexpensive folders out there like the Kershaw Tremor that are quick to deploy and easy to carry.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of carrying your knife, I'm really not against it, I've just tried it before and I eventually stopped carrying it because it was cumbersome.
"The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought." Candidus (Samuel Adams), The Boston Gazette Oct. 14, 1771
Gyrase
Expert Marksman

Postby Hawk87 » Fri 10 Jun 2011 7:02 pm

You may want to look at this knife. It is smaller, but is made to be easy to conceal and designed with weapon retention in mind. There are also tons of sheaths out there for it. Good luck!
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for good men to do nothing
Hawk87
Sniper

Re: Re: Methods of CC'ing a Knife

Postby Snurd » Fri 10 Jun 2011 7:07 pm

Hawk87 wrote:You may want to look at this knife. It is smaller, but is made to be easy to conceal and designed with weapon retention in mind. There are also tons of sheaths out there for it. Good luck!

And which knife would that be?
Snurd
Posse

Re: Re: Methods of CC'ing a Knife

Postby Hawk87 » Sat 11 Jun 2011 5:34 am

mqondo wrote:
Hawk87 wrote:You may want to look at this knife. It is smaller, but is made to be easy to conceal and designed with weapon retention in mind. There are also tons of sheaths out there for it. Good luck!

And which knife would that be?

Ha ha my bad http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Enforcemen ... 1W8XY3LE9F
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for good men to do nothing
Hawk87
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sat 11 Jun 2011 6:33 am

I have that same knife, only without the serated edge. :D Pretty dang sharp.
Snurd
Posse

Postby Matapatos » Mon 13 Jun 2011 7:30 pm

Well, these responses are what this subforum is about... I was once told to pick the gun I would CC, if it was too big, I simply wouldn't carry it and a Desert Eagle .45 at home in my closet wouldn't help me at all. Same with knives, I'm getting. Anyone have real life stories about knives helping out? Is there a thread here about that?
Travis
Matapatos
Novice

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.