Any Good Places for Knife Restoration?

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Any Good Places for Knife Restoration?

Postby murph » Tue 14 Jun 2011 8:02 am

So I found a treasure that I thought I lost many years ago. I was looking through some stuff in my basement and found a knife that my great grandfather made. My great grandfather was an extremely skilled machinist and made many knives during his career. This in my opinion is the coolest knife he ever made. It is a buck knife but with a very squatty blade. The knife has some soiling on the blade. I don't believe the knife is stained rather it has a lot of grime buildup. I'm looking for a shop that could properly restore this knife to like new condition. I don't want some place that will just take a wire brush to it because I could do that myself rather I want someone who would carefully restore it. Any ideas? I'll post a pic when I get home.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
His - Glock 36 (.45 ACP Slim Frame) / Kel-Tec Sub 2000 (.40 S&W Carbine)
Hers - NAA Guardian (.380 ACP mini semi auto)
murph
Marksman

Re: Any Good Places for Knife Restoration?

Postby Jarubla » Tue 14 Jun 2011 4:41 pm

Carbon steel? If so, clean it a little and let it be. Patina on a knife is not bad :)

It looks like a gummy substance on the blade, is that right? Try a little of the "Goof Off" brand to clean that up

-Jay
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll never see him on the weekends
Jarubla
Sharp Shooter

Postby Wolfman » Tue 14 Jun 2011 7:22 pm

And if you do want it shiny, flitz will do it.
Wolfman
Marksman

Postby Cinhil » Wed 15 Jun 2011 8:59 am

That will be easy to take care of. I have worked with several knives that needed to be helped like this one. I have materials at my home to work on this type of thing. If you want I could work on this for you. PM me if you are interested.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.