Sharpener for S30V Steel

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Sharpener for S30V Steel

Postby tapehoser » Mon 05 Sep 2011 12:21 pm

I'd be willing to hire someone to sharpen my S30V blade. Any takers?

I need it sharpened before the elk hunt next month and lack a diamond sharpener.

Any help is appreciated.
tapehoser
Posse

Re: Sharpener for S30V Steel

Postby Cinhil » Mon 05 Sep 2011 12:58 pm

You could try sharpening it on the bottom of a clay mug--works real good for sharpening and keeping an edge. Hopefully would do the same for this type of steel too.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Mon 05 Sep 2011 4:42 pm

Did a quick Google search and there is a place downtown SLC. Prices seem pretty reasonable.

Lorenz
Snurd
Posse

Postby Cinhil » Mon 05 Sep 2011 5:05 pm

mqondo wrote:Did a quick Google search and there is a place downtown SLC. Prices seem pretty reasonable.

Lorenz

Is that Joe's Knife shop? Joe's Knife & Sword I think is the real name?
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Mon 05 Sep 2011 8:08 pm

Did a bit of searching, looks like Joe's is just off 4100 s and Redwood. Lorenz is downtown.
Snurd
Posse

Postby DMac » Mon 05 Sep 2011 9:06 pm

I can vouch for Lorenz's - They've been very good for me in the past
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
DMac
Marksman

Postby Grizzly » Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:41 am

S30V is not difficult to sharpen. My everyday pocket knife is S30V and I run it over a leather razor strap every once in a while and that works fine. I do have a diamond hone for those times it needs it.
‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ — Patrick Henry
Grizzly
Novice

Postby tapehoser » Wed 07 Sep 2011 8:18 am

S30V is a funny steel. I've never used anything like it before. Currently, this knife will easily carve up a nice piece of wood. However, it will not easily cut through rope or slice through paper like it used to. It is VERY slow in dulling as compared to anything I've ever used. I suspect this only needs a light sharpening to restore it to it's former glory. The reviews of this knife were mostly from hunting outfitters that use it for quartering elk and deer and such. The exact model is the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Alpha Crosslock PBS - made by Buck. The "PBS" stands for Portable Butcher Shop. Most outfitters stated that they were able to quarter many, many animals before having to have it re-sharpened. That's why I bought it. I was sharpening my stainless blades SO much that they completely lost their profiles after a year or two, at most.

I have tried Lorenz several times but get no answer. Even sent emails and have not seen a response. I've tried Joe's, but it appears they are out of business, as their phone is disconnected.

Also, I have found a guy VERY close to my house that I am calling - Micro Knife Sharpening in South Jordan. I will let you all know how it goes.
tapehoser
Posse

Postby Gyrase » Wed 07 Sep 2011 9:41 am

I bought a sharpening set called the DMT aligner a while back and it seems to work very well given the price. It has put shaving sharp edges on every knife I have tried it on. I haven't had the need to sharpen my S30V knife yet as it is still factory razor sharp but if you want to try the sharpener you are welcome to free of charge.

Out of curiosity what is the make/model of the knife?

Edit: scratch that make/model question, I read over your last post too quickly.
Last edited by Gyrase on Wed 07 Sep 2011 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought." Candidus (Samuel Adams), The Boston Gazette Oct. 14, 1771
Gyrase
Expert Marksman

Postby Snowman » Wed 07 Sep 2011 9:53 am

It's aways away, but the Ogden knife shop, on riverdale and washington has the equitment, and he can do it in 20 min or so. He's a nice guy.
Springfield 1911 black loaded target. 460 Rowland.
M&P 40 Pro.
RSO.
To be voluntarily disarmed is to rely on the honor of the dishonorable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Snowman
Sniper

Postby tapehoser » Wed 07 Sep 2011 1:01 pm

Micro only does medical blades.

Gyrase - you have email/PM.
tapehoser
Posse

Postby zozo » Sat 10 Sep 2011 8:32 pm

You just need a workable setup. Get a DMT diamond stone/diafold/whatever to set your primary bevel. Use a Spyderco Sharpmaker to set your secondary bevel. Run it over a strop (leather belt stuck to a piece of wood--cheap/easy) with some polishing compound a few passes to remove any microburrs and polish up the edge, and you've got a hair-popping sharp knife.
zozo
Novice

Postby tapehoser » Tue 13 Sep 2011 7:47 am

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Gyrase in person. He was kind enough to sit down with me at his desk on our lunch hours to show me how the DMT worked. We got the knife purdy darn sharp. I'd wager I'm good for another year or two before I'll have to sharpen it again. That said, I went home and asked my wife to buy me the DMT Aligner for Christmas - it was THAT good.

I've always held the opinion that 99% of the folks on this forum are absolutely stand-up folks who are kind and generous. That opinion still holds true.

Thanks Gyrase!
tapehoser
Posse

Postby Gyrase » Tue 13 Sep 2011 12:05 pm

tapehoser wrote:I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Gyrase in person. He was kind enough to sit down with me at his desk on our lunch hours to show me how the DMT worked. We got the knife purdy darn sharp. I'd wager I'm good for another year or two before I'll have to sharpen it again. That said, I went home and asked my wife to buy me the DMT Aligner for Christmas - it was THAT good.

I've always held the opinion that 99% of the folks on this forum are absolutely stand-up folks who are kind and generous. That opinion still holds true.

Thanks Gyrase!

No problem, it was good to meet you too. I hope you put that knife to good use in the next few weeks. :fudd:

I'll have to post a review of the DMT aligner, it has worked really well for me and I was glad to see that it worked so well on harder steel.
"The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought." Candidus (Samuel Adams), The Boston Gazette Oct. 14, 1771
Gyrase
Expert Marksman

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.