Slingshot laws, Salt Lake County

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Slingshot laws, Salt Lake County

Postby Taco » Sat 04 Feb 2012 9:36 am

So, among my many hard-to-explain geeky hobbies lies the fact that I am something of a slingshot marksman. Have been since I was very little, and it sometimes came in handy back east during graduate school when groceries were scarce and rabbits were not.

This amazing internet thing has opened that hobby up immensely, just like it has for everything else. We slingshot geeks ("catapult" geeks in the UK--cute, huh? :wink: ) can now compete against each other via "video tournaments," exchange design ideas, advice, and experiences. Our hobby has become safer, broader, more innovative, and more fun.

Well, I went to order a new frame from a custom manufacturer and discovered that many manufacturers won't ship slingshots or even slingshot supplies to Salt Lake County. Evidently, it's illegal on some level. I don't know if it is illegal to OWN the stuff (I can buy rubber, leather, marbles, buckshot, ball bearings, etc. all over town...geesh!), and I want to find out what the laws are. Y'all on this forum are really good at finding specific laws. I've come up dry; any ideas?

Of course, if it turns out I'm a criminal for flipping steel balls through a soda can with a forked stick and some rubberbands while archery, paintball, air guns, and darts are all fine, I am going to find somebody to gripe to about it. I truly can't imagine the logic, and I could simply ship it to my dad in the next county, but why my hobby and why only in this valley? Geesh.

I'd appreciate any direction anyone could give me in finding out what the law actually states, as I don't want to lose my priveleges by getting caught participating in my lifelong hobby, ya know?
Taco
Novice

Re: Slingshot laws, Salt Lake County

Postby Cinhil » Sat 04 Feb 2012 6:32 pm

You are probably referring to this;

http://library5.municode.com/default-te ... base=16602

Which is being discussed here; viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5585

Which is a Topic listing illegal gun laws in Utah. In order to fix this issue it would behoove you to find out all you can concerning the law/rule and then contact the proper authorities to have the language amended, or the law/rule eliminated from the County Ordinances. That is what that particular thread is for. If you peruse it you will see many bad laws/rules have been stricken and compliance with State law forced upon these violating cities.

As a side note; I had thought for certain that I had seen slingshots for sale at Walmart in Midvale in their outdoors section not far from their gun counter. You may want to check it out. It is the Walmart on Redwood Road and about 5300 South. I hope this is helpful to you.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby Taco » Sat 04 Feb 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks a bunch.
That link doesn't work; any ideas?
I just want to find out per what law so many custom (and larger, for that matter) manufacturers won't ship here, and if there is more to it (e.g., whether there are possession laws, etc.)

I know! I saw slingshots at Kmart, Salt Lake Archery has them on their website, and I have seen the standard tubular bands, frames, and steel ammo all over the place here. In fact, I went on a bit of an investigative shopping spree today and could have purchased the common tubular band-type thing with no effort at all.
Taco
Novice

Postby Cinhil » Sun 05 Feb 2012 2:52 am

You are right, thaqt link doesn't work anymore, sorry. I did a new check and found this;

(7) Editor's note— Ord. No. 1661, § II, adopted January 5, 2010, amended the Code by repealing former Ch. 10.64 in its entirety. Former Ch. 10.64 pertained to firearms and weapons, and derived from the prior code, §§ 16-4-1—16-4-11, and Ord. 1473 of 2001

This comes from here;

http://search.municode.com/html/16602/index.html

Evidently it appears these may have been repealed. It is late and I have to get up early for the gun show so little time to check further this morning. The Municipal Code link may help some however, I would suggest going to the state website and checking the legislative home page for Utah State Code. Check in sections 72,736 & 53 as I believe these are the most common areas where weapons laws are referenced, this includes the fact that cities and municipalities have no authorization other than on discharge of weapons. They cannot regulate the ownership or carry of them without specific authorization from the legislative body to do so. Even Fire Marshall's are restricted from doing this.

I hope this helps a bit more.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby Taco » Sun 05 Feb 2012 8:42 am

Interesting!
And really helpful. Thanks again.
Taco
Novice

Postby Ruminus » Sat 04 May 2013 7:56 pm

Und here ve have ze pearfect example of ze thread necromancy...

With that said, what did you ever turn up on this, Taco?
Mike Hopkins
NRA Patron Life Member, Pistol Instructor, RSO
Gun Owners of America Member
Oathkeeper
Ruminus
Expert Marksman

Postby Jarubla » Sat 19 Jul 2014 11:02 pm

It is not necromancy if your name is Gene Wilder or Marty Feldman!

Anyone ever turn anything up on this? I was known to carry a wrist rocket about in my younger days, and am considering getting back into it.

Thank you,
Jay
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll never see him on the weekends
Jarubla
Sharp Shooter

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.