Why pay so much for a knife??

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Re: Why pay so much for a knife??

Postby Tenuki » Mon 27 Feb 2012 5:24 pm

Cabela's just changed their policy this last week about selling autos so anyone can buy one. I don't understand Sportsman's issues with selling knives like they are some sort of controlled substance.

I know impact has no whims about selling autos, and I have also heard that they are readily available at the gun shows, though i've never been to a gun show to confirm that.

I am hoping to go get me a Benchmade Infidel as soon as possible, although it is a couple of items down on my list. My Griptillian works amazingly in the meantime.
Tenuki
Marksman

Postby toothguy » Mon 19 Mar 2012 1:44 pm

Sam Fidler wrote:This is why.
http://youtu.be/72e_mHtMTpA

That. May. Be. The. Coolest. Thing. I've. Seen.
toothguy
Novice

Postby RoccoRacer » Mon 19 Mar 2012 3:32 pm

I just got my Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto combo ($55 on amazon)
I opened the box and couldn't help but hear the words "now that's a knife" in an Australian accent (ala Crocodile Dundee). This thing is huge compared to my CRKT M-16. Cold Steel seems like they have some pretty awesome products. One day I might have to get one of their African walking sticks.
Ben
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
Mohandas Gandhi
RoccoRacer
Sharp Shooter

Postby James » Sun 03 Jun 2012 9:39 am

For workhorse knives, a good carbon steel with a simple hardwood handle riveted on gets the job done. These are inexpensive and hold an edge. You must be careful to always clean them and dry them as they rust easily. These blades are easy to sharpen. These blades are harder than stainless steel knives. The additives that make steel stainless are soft metals.

Now add stainless and fancy handles, yes these look nice, but cost more money. The handles and the finish (buffing, polishing) can drive the price up. Now add a "Name" and the price really goes up. You may get some pride showing off your "Name Brand" high dollar knife, but comes to getting the job done, more work has been done with the less expensive knives.

I like good tools, and I appreciate a good knife especially, but I have never felt I needed to pay $100 plus for any knife. If I can get a good knife for $50 instead of paying $250, maybe I can eat this week?

So to answer your question directly: Why pay so much for a knife??
I see no good reason.

Oh, and I forgot: you can lose a $250 knife as easily as a $20 knife.
Carry on!
James
Sharp Shooter

Postby arichens » Sun 03 Jun 2012 8:29 pm

You get what you pay for, but there are some deals that are a better value than others, especially when you take into account what you're going to be using it for. Most people will never need a $200 knife.

For the price, I haven't been able to find anything that beats my $35 Kershaw Skyline:
1. Made in USA
2. Lifetime Warranty
3. Free lifetime sharpening

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Skyline-K ... 422&sr=8-1
- NRA Lifetime Member
- 2nd Lt. - USAF IRR
arichens
Marksman

Postby jktseug » Sun 03 Jun 2012 8:51 pm

I think it really depends on what you are using the knife for. A carry knife doesn't need to be $200, just get something sharp and if you need to use it on a regular basis, learn how to sharpen it well, get it sharpened, or throw it away and get another one when it gets dull. I have several gerber knives and all of them still work well. I always have my leatherman on me. it is more like $60, but it is more than just a knife, its an everyday tool. I keep thinking about the thread about the air force base during the air show and all the knives thrown out, why would you want to carry a $200 knife and ever run into a situation you might have to ditch it.

Now, if you want a hunting knife, something that you will use to gut your kill, it would be worth buying a good quality knife. Having a good knife that stays sharp makes the job so much easier and will last you several lifetimes so you can pass it on to your grandkids/family and it will have a history.
"Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy."
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
Robert A. Heinlein
jktseug
Expert Marksman

Why pay so much for a knife??

Postby Snaggle » Mon 04 Jun 2012 9:04 am

Sam Fidler wrote:This is why.
http://youtu.be/72e_mHtMTpA

Great video but I think these guys have some anger issues towards rope in general. What did the rope ever due to them? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson circa 1776
www.utahccwcarry.com
Snaggle
Sharp Shooter

Postby Tenuki » Mon 04 Jun 2012 8:52 pm

jktseug wrote:Now, if you want a hunting knife, something that you will use to gut your kill, it would be worth buying a good quality knife. Having a good knife that stays sharp makes the job so much easier and will last you several lifetimes so you can pass it on to your grandkids/family and it will have a history.

I can't think of a time that I wouldn't want a knife that will stay sharp and make any job easier.

I can understand the having to ditch it thing, but I don't like throwing away money, and even if I were only carrying a $40 knife, I would still change my plans so I didn't have to ditch my knife - or go hide it somewhere where I could come pick it up later.

To me the Axis lock by Benchmade is the highest standard for folding knives. Any other type of locking mechanism is ultimately inferior in every way. I especially cannot stand the liner lock style knifes. It is just so much of a pain. With the axis, I can close just as fast as I can open, one handed, without having to put my thumb in front of the blade - a design that has never seemed right to me. I know other companies make something similar to the axis, but none of them have felt nearly as nice in my hand as the axis does. I absolutely love my knife, and would buy another one if I were to loose it. If you go Benchmade Axis, you will never want to go back.
Tenuki
Marksman

Postby Snowman » Tue 05 Jun 2012 11:01 am

James wrote: Big snip... Oh, and I forgot: you can lose a $250 knife as easily as a $20 knife.

I can't. I pay that much for something, and I worry a lot more when I sit it down, or use it. Walmart had some locking folders on sale for 50 cents. Bought a bunch, I lose and forget them, or throw them away all the time. I never have set down my TOPS knife, without making sure of where I set it, And then worrying about it not being on my hip, or my bag. Can't forget it. I did lose some 30 $ buck folders, made me sick, I went back to the park where I lost it, and searched in the rain. Never found it, But now I check my pockets after any activity that could have knocked it out.

Now, I need a way to keep track of my sunglasses...
Springfield 1911 black loaded target. 460 Rowland.
M&P 40 Pro.
RSO.
To be voluntarily disarmed is to rely on the honor of the dishonorable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Snowman
Sniper

Postby Tenuki » Tue 05 Jun 2012 9:56 pm

Snowman wrote:Now, I need a way to keep track of my sunglasses...

This might work... http://www.oakley.com/products/6409/23696
Tenuki
Marksman

Postby Snowman » Tue 05 Jun 2012 11:06 pm

Tenuki wrote:

I'd need to try them on first, see if they fit. My nose is wider then what most sunglasses are made for. You have a pair of these I could try on? :thumbsup:
Springfield 1911 black loaded target. 460 Rowland.
M&P 40 Pro.
RSO.
To be voluntarily disarmed is to rely on the honor of the dishonorable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Snowman
Sniper

Postby Jesse 8 » Wed 06 Jun 2012 4:55 am

Tenuki wrote:

4,000 dollar SUNGLASSES!! I guess this is how some ppl feel about pricy guns but seriously.....not even if I was a millionaire would I buy those....wow.

ETA: On expensive knives....I've carried the 40 dollar Ka-Bar TDI for a while and liked it as a weakside option. I did however, just pick up a 200 dollar knife to compliment the TDI. Time will tell if it was worth it. Also, I don't think I would ever spend 200 dollars for a hunting knife. 100 is pushing it. Probably could've applied the same mentality to my carry knives, but at least they spend much more time on my person than my hunting knives.
The fight will not be the way you want it to be. The fight will be the way it is. You must be flexible enough to adapt. -Unknown

Incoming fire has the right of way
Jesse 8
Expert Marksman

Previous

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.