Compound bow for 12yo boy

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Compound bow for 12yo boy

Postby sarahbn » Sat 18 Aug 2012 8:53 pm

My 12 year old son came home from Scout camp asking for a compound bow. I know nothing at all about bows. Can anyone fill me in as to what kind of compound bow would be best for him, about how much I should pay for one, and where best to get one?
Antes Morrer Livres Que Em Paz Sujeitos
sarahbn
Expert Marksman

Re: Compound bow for 12yo boy

Postby Ruminus » Sun 19 Aug 2012 12:59 am

sarahbn wrote:My 12 year old son came home from Scout camp asking for a compound bow. I know nothing at all about bows. Can anyone fill me in as to what kind of compound bow would be best for him, about how much I should pay for one, and where best to get one?

Am I horrible that my first thought was "Where are you going to find a compound bow that fires a 12yo and how would you nock them?" :lol2:

Anyway, the guys at Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabela's are good in my experience for fitting someone for a bow. Again, going back to my archery experience, a bow is a very individual weapon, and has to be fit and tuned to the person that's going to use it.

For a starter bow, Bear® Archery Fred Bear Brave 3 Package from Cabela's looks like a good deal as you get a biscuit rest and quiver in the package, and it's $75. I started with a Bear, and actually used it for deer hunting for a few years, after a few minor additions (hydraulic dampers, stabilizer, etc).
Mike Hopkins
NRA Patron Life Member, Pistol Instructor, RSO
Gun Owners of America Member
Oathkeeper
Ruminus
Expert Marksman

Postby Sam Fidler » Sun 19 Aug 2012 5:52 am

My son expressed a similar interest at about the same age. Like me, he tends to have lots of interests but not many passions so I was reluctant to spent a bunch of money on a quality compound bow. We ended up buying him this simple recurve bow for Christmas and he has been quite happy with it.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Sun 19 Aug 2012 11:05 am

I like the Bear option. I'm a fan of bear, every compound I've used has been a Bear model. The key to look for is how easy is it to adjust the draw weight and length. That way he can grow into it. With modern bow designs there isn't a noticible change in bow size as you move int hunting bows, but rather in the draw weight.

You want something you can start with a light pull until he gets the basics down. Then you start increasing the draw weight until you get into the range required to hunt. The bear I started with was my father's old Bear, he started me with a 25lb pull until he was sure I could safely draw and hold, then he started bumping up the pull.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby quychang » Sun 19 Aug 2012 11:46 am

Am I horrible that my first thought was "Where are you going to find a compound bow that fires a 12yo and how would you nock them?" :lol2:

I think a catapult would be more effective for a 12 yo, but I'd wait until he turned 13, by then you'll want to get as much distance as possible. :lol3:

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby sarahbn » Sun 19 Aug 2012 12:22 pm

quychang wrote:

I think a catapult would be more effective for a 12 yo, but I'd wait until he turned 13, by then you'll want to get as much distance as possible. :lol3:

Mel

LOL, I have a few boys of various ages that I'd love to throw with a catapult, but I suspect they might enjoy it too much.
sarahbn
Expert Marksman

Postby RustyShackleford » Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:17 pm

This is what scouting is all about! Peak their intrests...and hope your boy comes home from camp excited about the shooting sports more than the basket weaving and building of boondogle key chains...not that there is anything wrong with that.
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Sun 26 Aug 2012 10:57 pm

But if they get into boondoggle they can make all kinds of perty keychains and sell them door to door. At least until someone tells them their "Mom goes to college" and they run off without their merchandise. :lol2:
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby sarahbn » Mon 27 Aug 2012 5:54 am

DaKnife wrote:But if they get into boondoggle they can make all kinds of perty keychains and sell them door to door. At least until someone tells them their "Mom goes to college" and they run off without their merchandise. :lol2:

Oh, he's WAY past boondoggles and into stuff like picking locks, making BB cannons out of erasers, and getting his ham radio license. We're so proud! :D
sarahbn
Expert Marksman

Postby UtahCFP » Mon 27 Aug 2012 10:23 am

Ruminus wrote:Am I horrible that my first thought was "Where are you going to find a compound bow that fires a 12yo and how would you nock them?" :lol2:

Tie their shoelaces together.
Dr. Dave ([email protected])
WAS a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Instructor
NOW a Texas License to Carry (LTC) Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby Sam Fidler » Mon 27 Aug 2012 11:09 pm

UtahCFP wrote:
Ruminus wrote:Am I horrible that my first thought was "Where are you going to find a compound bow that fires a 12yo and how would you nock them?" :lol2:

Tie their shoelaces together.

:lol3:
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby Jake60 » Fri 12 Jul 2013 3:19 pm

I'm going to bump this, instead of make a new thread.
My son (10) has also sparked a interest in archery.
My question, besides ranges. Where are you allowed to practice archery?
I'm assuming it'd be illegal inside city limits?
Jake60
Marksman

Postby JoeRandall » Fri 12 Jul 2013 5:35 pm

Jake60 wrote:I'm going to bump this, instead of make a new thread.
My son (10) has also sparked a interest in archery.
My question, besides ranges. Where are you allowed to practice archery?
I'm assuming it'd be illegal inside city limits?

I believe it is illegal inside city limits. But a 10 year old boy with his father in there yard shooting at a target with a safe backstop is not really an issue to most I believe. I have shot my bow many times in my yard and also with cops driving by and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Intermountain Firearm Training
Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor
Utah Hunter Education Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Recruiter
JoeRandall
Marksman

Postby D-FIN » Fri 12 Jul 2013 7:15 pm

We set up in the back yard. Precautions should be made. I can't say or legality but I know of others who have done same. There is an indoor archery range in Salt Lake and Lee Kay Range does archery as well.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby gskip33 » Sat 13 Jul 2013 5:12 pm

Just be careful shooing in the backyard. Back in Texas we did that and eventually an arrow hit the target, glanced at a diagonal and ended up in our neighbors window.
Oops.
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Next

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.