I need a deer skinning knife

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

I need a deer skinning knife

Postby wolverine_173 » Sun 13 Oct 2013 2:13 pm

I need opinions on a decent deer gutting and skinning knife. Im new to hunting and would like to spend $50 or less.
wolverine_173
Marksman

Re: I need a deer skinning knife

Postby jobot » Sun 13 Oct 2013 6:37 pm

I have a cold steel master hunter with gut hook I will sell you for 75.
jobot
Marksman

Postby Nicksp » Mon 14 Oct 2013 7:41 am

Last year, right about this time, I shot my first deer. I asked one of my neighbors to help me dress it out. It was my big opportunity to use the special hunting knife that I had bought many years before. I used my expensive knife, my very experienced neighbor use his POCKET KNIFE. The blade he used was smaller than my little finger and he never sharpened it. He easily did it all, from skinning to cutting the joints in the legs. My knife worked very well for skinning, but when I tried to cut the leg joints, the edge rolled. After that, I struggled with my fancy knife, even after resharpening, until he took over with his little knife.

I'll likely never use my fancy knife again.

Nick
The lust for POWER is the true root of all evil.
Nicksp
Marksman

Postby wolverine_173 » Mon 14 Oct 2013 7:46 am

Last year i used a 10 dollar knife and it dulled very quick which made the rest of the process very difficilt
wolverine_173
Marksman

Postby JoeRandall » Mon 14 Oct 2013 8:33 am

I have recently got a outdoor edge swing blade to test from the North American hunting club. I haven't used it yet (didn't find any bull elk). But my buddy said there great. When I finally use it I will post a review.

What I have used in the past that are awesome is those replaceable blade razor knifes. Sportsmans has them and I think there called piranhas or something like that (I'm not talking about box knifes either). There awesome and when it gets dull you just switch the blade. They are scary sharp and the edge lasts a while.

Other things I carry to help are a small foldable saw. And one of the gut hooks that use the replaceable box knife blades. Not the ones made for them that have the extra wing erg as it defeats the purpose.

When I get home and have some time I'll post some links or pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Intermountain Firearm Training
Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor
Utah Hunter Education Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Recruiter
JoeRandall
Marksman

Postby B Cart » Mon 14 Oct 2013 10:15 am

I have used the browning Kodiak 3-in-1 knife now for 8 years or so and love it. I have used it on 5 deer, an antelope, and two elk. It's barely over your price at $64, but well worth the money and will last a long time. It has everything you need for cleaning an animal.: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/169657 ... lon-sheath

If you really need to stay under $50, this might be a good choice: http://www.amazon.com/BROWNING-KNIFE-HU ... ing+knives
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper
B Cart
Sniper

Postby Sam Fidler » Mon 14 Oct 2013 1:07 pm

If you want a decent knife, don't be afraid to pay for it. Palladium Arms has teamed up withScar Blades. If you need a blade, they probably have it and it's all top quality and looks good too. Their moto is: A Scar is for life.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby Nocked N Loaded » Mon 14 Oct 2013 4:07 pm

JoeRandall wrote:... What I have used in the past that are awesome is those replaceable blade razor knifes. Sportsmans has them and I think there called piranhas or something like that (I'm not talking about box knifes either). There awesome and when it gets dull you just switch the blade. They are scary sharp and the edge lasts a while.

That is a Havalon Piranta. They are basically a scalpel with a replaceable blade, and freaky sharp. They are awesome, but I've found that they aren't that great for cutting joints; however, a cheap folder will do it just fine.

I use this Buck knife, and I love it. It is right in your price range, and holds an edge pretty well. It is also light weight, easy to carry.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
Nocked N Loaded
Marksman

Postby wolverine_173 » Mon 14 Oct 2013 5:26 pm

How do i know I'm not just spending an extra 40 bucks and getting the same quality steel as the 10 dollar knife?
wolverine_173
Marksman

Postby wolverine_173 » Mon 14 Oct 2013 5:28 pm

wolverine_173
Marksman

Postby JoeRandall » Mon 14 Oct 2013 8:12 pm

Are you skinning to keep the hide or make leather? Or just to cure and get to the meat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NRA Recruiter
JoeRandall
Marksman

Postby wolverine_173 » Mon 14 Oct 2013 9:26 pm

Meat
wolverine_173
Marksman

Postby wolverine_173 » Tue 15 Oct 2013 10:43 am

So how much do i have to spend to get a blade that will actually have a better metal?
wolverine_173
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Tue 15 Oct 2013 1:22 pm

My dad bought all the kids one of these Puma Bowie knives a number of years back. My brother doesn't use any other knife, as far as I'm aware, for skinning and cutting up the meat. It stays sharper longer than other knives he's used. It does take longer to sharpen, but it's a great knife. $129 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/116396-Bowie-Fixe ... wie+116396

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381868546.403173.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381868546.403173.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

Postby JoeRandall » Tue 15 Oct 2013 1:27 pm

If your just skinning to get to the meat. You can cut around each leg at the joints to take them off. Then make a cut into he middle where you already have your opening from gutting. Then just start at the top and skin a little with your knife. Once there is enough to grab just take a handful and start pulling down. Won't really need your knife.

And depends if you like to hang them from there back legs or there neck or antlers. If you hang them from there neck or antlers you'll have to cut around the neck also. If you hang them from there back legs. Just start pulling down until you get to the head. Then take it off with the hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
NRA Recruiter
JoeRandall
Marksman

Next

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.