suggestions for a decent pocket knife...

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Postby sypher » Wed 27 May 2015 8:13 pm

Title says it all. I'm used to carrying a pocket knife on me. Had to leave mine elsewhere, still have it, when I flew back here. Looking for a decent blade, preferably under $50.
Brian

NRA RSO
sypher
Marksman

Re: suggestions for a decent pocket knife...

Postby RoccoRacer » Wed 27 May 2015 8:37 pm

My next blade purchase will be a Kershaw Leek
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009VC9Y ... ref=plSrch
Ben
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
Mohandas Gandhi
RoccoRacer
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snurd » Wed 27 May 2015 8:59 pm

If you are looking for a decent knife, you may need to spend more than $50. That being said, one of the knives I use the most is a CRKT Ripple. I was given the more expensive version with better steel and a better handle. I was also given the cheaper version, and I actually use it more than other knives. Mainly because I don't care if it gets damaged here and there. The more expensive knives I tend to take better care of.
I believe this is the one same one. I don't remember the exact model number, but it's in the same price range.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007VB1YC ... ref=plSrch

There are better knives, but this one is easily used with one hand, and is easy to sharpen.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby J_dazzle23 » Wed 27 May 2015 11:07 pm

50 bucks is plenty to get a quality knife. For 37 bucks on amazon you can pick up a spyderco tenacious. Awesome knife, sharp as a razor. Not super hard steel but hard enough imo.
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby Cinhil » Thu 28 May 2015 3:11 am

First off you need to know what you will be using it for, what requirements are you wanting of it? After that then brand, what type of strength for the blade, AUS8, High Carbon Steel etc.? Do you want serrated or straight edge, or a combination? Once you have figured these things then check for price. If you want inexpensive there is plenty out there, but you can also find quality for a relatively inexpensive price. The suggestions provides so far are good, I may also suggest a CRKT Lake which runs close to $50 and is a good knife. I have one and it works well for me.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Thu 28 May 2015 6:27 am

J_dazzle23 wrote:50 bucks is plenty to get a quality knife. For 37 bucks on amazon you can pick up a spyderco tenacious. Awesome knife, sharp as a razor. Not super hard steel but hard enough imo.

I have one of these as well. It is a good knife, and quite sharp. There are a couple reasons I don't carry it very often. One is it is quite bulky. The other is the gimping (grooves) on the back of the blade. Whenever I have it in my pocket attached by the clip, it likes to take some of my skin with it. Unless you have really wide pockets, or don't clip it onto your pocket, you will most likely have this issue. You can switch the clip to the other side of the knife, but for me it's awkward to pull out and open the knife with one hand if I do that.

CRKT Ripple is the thinner of the two.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432819573.279039.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432819573.279039.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 10424 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432819583.746073.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432819583.746073.jpg (108.8 KiB) Viewed 10424 times

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby AlanM » Thu 28 May 2015 7:00 am

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby sypher » Thu 28 May 2015 8:11 am

Cinhil wrote:First off you need to know what you will be using it for, what requirements are you wanting of it? After that then brand, what type of strength for the blade, AUS8, High Carbon Steel etc.? Do you want serrated or straight edge, or a combination? Once you have figured these things then check for price. If you want inexpensive there is plenty out there, but you can also find quality for a relatively inexpensive price. The suggestions provides so far are good, I may also suggest a CRKT Lake which runs close to $50 and is a good knife. I have one and it works well for me.

No specific requirements, just an EDC, letter opener, fingernail picker, package opener. Brand doesn't matter. I've got a spyderco, a couple gerbers, and a Kershaw I believe. As for the steel, I just want something that isn't going to break very easy. My current EDC, which I had to leave behind temporarily, is a serrated blade. I'm leaning towards a straight edge, but I'm open to either or. I've never had a combo, and I've thought of them as gimmicky or not a very good compromise, what are your thoughts on this (I'm open to trying one)?
Last edited by sypher on Thu 28 May 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

NRA RSO
sypher
Marksman

Postby sypher » Thu 28 May 2015 8:18 am

Snurd,
Thanks for the comparison pics. The CRKT is not a bad looking knife. I love my Spyderco knife, which was my EDC knife until having to fly out here. I'm not sure which one it is as my father gave it to me years ago, but it has the serrated blade. It feels nice and balanced, even though it's bigger, compared to my other knives.
Brian

NRA RSO
sypher
Marksman

Postby sypher » Thu 28 May 2015 8:22 am

Alan,
thanks for the heads up. I think I'm leaning towards this one http://www.woot.com/offers/blur-folding-knife?ref=cnt_wp_0_5, which is $15 cheaper than what Amazon has it for.

Just an open question for all. Is a combo straight edge/serrated a good balance, or is a full straight/serrated blade better for an EDC knife?
Brian

NRA RSO
sypher
Marksman

Postby sbaddley » Thu 28 May 2015 9:36 am

Started carrying a knife daily a couple months age. This doesn't fit into the $50 limit--but this works for me. I'm surprised how many times I use it each day.
Benchmade Knives 5000SBK AUTO Presidio 3.42" Black 154CM Combo Blade, Aluminum Handles.
http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/150 ... SBKanw.jpg
sbaddley
Novice

Postby SirGentleman » Thu 28 May 2015 9:53 am

sypher wrote:

Alan,
thanks for the heads up. I think I'm leaning towards this one http://www.woot.com/offers/blur-folding-knife?ref=cnt_wp_0_5, which is $15 cheaper than what Amazon has it for.

Just an open question for all. Is a combo straight edge/serrated a good balance, or is a full straight/serrated blade better for an EDC knife?

It all comes down to preference. I have had both, but I usually prefer the plain straight edge since that's the most useful for the majority of things I do. I don't mind the combo, but sometimes the serrations are too big and they take up more of the blade than I want. So if you're looking for a vote, I vote plain straight edge.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams
SirGentleman
Marksman

Postby Jiggerman » Thu 28 May 2015 10:55 am

I first opted for a combination blade for my EDC and I do not think I've ever found a reason to use that part of the blade. My next EDC was a tanto folder from 5.11, waste of money. I like the tanto blade, but the handle is less than desirable. The screw holes that secure the pocket clip, wear out too fast and then the clip just falls off. This is the perfect thread for me too, I've been looking for my new EDC but with all the choices out there, input from end users is awesome. Anyone carry a SOG Trident, I like the built-in slot blade and the assisted open. Walmart had them for about $50
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”--- Mark Twain
Jiggerman
Novice

Postby J_dazzle23 » Thu 28 May 2015 12:29 pm

Snurd wrote:
J_dazzle23 wrote:50 bucks is plenty to get a quality knife. For 37 bucks on amazon you can pick up a spyderco tenacious. Awesome knife, sharp as a razor. Not super hard steel but hard enough imo.

I have one of these as well. It is a good knife, and quite sharp. There are a couple reasons I don't carry it very often. One is it is quite bulky. The other is the gimping (grooves) on the back of the blade. Whenever I have it in my pocket attached by the clip, it likes to take some of my skin with it. Unless you have really wide pockets, or don't clip it onto your pocket, you will most likely have this issue. You can switch the clip to the other side of the knife, but for me it's awkward to pull out and open the knife with one hand if I do that.

Sent from iSnurd

Haha good point.

I'm the guy that's ok concealing a 1911 so I guess size never comes into it for me, lol.

The grooves have never bothered me, but that's the beauty of knives! Millions to choose from and nobody likes the exact same thing.

I'm also a big fan of the sog flash 2- mostly because of the pocket clips.
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Thu 28 May 2015 2:01 pm

J_dazzle23 wrote:
Snurd wrote:

Sent from iSnurd

Haha good point.

I'm the guy that's ok concealing a 1911 so I guess size never comes into it for me, lol.

The grooves have never bothered me, but that's the beauty of knives! Millions to choose from and nobody likes the exact same thing.

I'm also a big fan of the sog flash 2- mostly because of the pocket clips.

I don't mind the size as much as the hand scraping device attached to it. It's definitely nice to hold on to when the blade is open. If I had wider pockets it would be better for me to carry. Since my pockets aren't super wide, I would normally have to take the knife out to be able to access my keys.
I do like how sturdy the Spiderco knives are.
Snurd
Posse

Next

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.