suggestions for a decent pocket knife...

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Re: suggestions for a decent pocket knife...

Postby J_dazzle23 » Thu 28 May 2015 2:03 pm

Snurd wrote:
J_dazzle23 wrote:
Snurd wrote:[quote="J_dazzle23"]50 bucks is plenty to get a quality knife. For 37 bucks on amazon you can pick up a spyderco tenacious. Awesome knife, sharp as a razor. Not super hard steel but hard enough imo.

I have one of these as well. It is a good knife, and quite sharp. There are a couple reasons I don't carry it very often. One is it is quite bulky. The other is the gimping (grooves) on the back of the blade. Whenever I have it in my pocket attached by the clip, it likes to take some of my skin with it. Unless you have really wide pockets, or don't clip it onto your pocket, you will most likely have this issue. You can switch the clip to the other side of the knife, but for me it's awkward to pull out and open the knife with one hand if I do that.

CRKT Ripple is the thinner of the two.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432819583.746073.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432819573.279039.jpg

Sent from iSnurd

Haha good point.

I'm the guy that's ok concealing a 1911 so I guess size never comes into it for me, lol.

The grooves have never bothered me, but that's the beauty of knives! Millions to choose from and nobody likes the exact same thing.

I'm also a big fan of the sog flash 2- mostly because of the pocket clips.

I don't mind the size as much as the hand scraping device attached to it. It's definitely nice to hold on to when the blade is open. If I had wider pockets it would be better for me to carry. Since my pockets aren't super wide, I would normally have to take the knife out to be able to access my keys.
I do like how sturdy the Spiderco knives are.[/quote]
There are TONS of good knives out there. I wear pants with pretty wide pockets, so I dont notice. I actually looped a zip tie and cut off the end on the spyderco on the hole on the blade so it flips open when that jimping (?) Catches my pocket edge.

Tbh I have knives on my wish list from spyderco, columbia, benchmade, sog, kabar, etc etc etc lol
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby bagpiper » Thu 28 May 2015 4:01 pm

I've got a nice auto-opening Benchmade I picked up a few years ago on a trip through Georgia. I just always wanted a switch blade. But at some $200, I just don't carry it very often.

My EDC is a very cheap (<$15) chinese made, assisted opening, liner lock "rescue" knife (has the glass punch on the bottom and the seat belt cutter) that I picked up off of Smokey Mountain Knife Works (smkw.com). I can easily and quickly open and close it with a single hand.

In addition to the thumb knobs on the blade, it had the flip tab on the back of the blade that caught my hand every time I reached into my pocket, like J_Dazzle reported. On a $15 knife, my solution was to grind the tab down a bit and round it off.

I have to sharpen it more than I might if it were better steal. But it sharpens up ok for what I need (letter opener, fingernail picker, string cutter, etc) and it is cheap enough I won't be broken hearted when I lose it. In fact, I've got one lost somewhere in the insulation of my attic. I have one sitting in my drawer waiting to replace the one that is currently in my pocket. At $15 I bought 3 for myself.

For some things, I've decided that low cost is the way to go.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby J_dazzle23 » Thu 28 May 2015 5:18 pm

bagpiper wrote:I've got a nice auto-opening Benchmade I picked up a few years ago on a trip through Georgia. I just always wanted a switch blade. But at some $200, I just don't carry it very often.

My EDC is a very cheap (<$15) chinese made, assisted opening, liner lock "rescue" knife (has the glass punch on the bottom and the seat belt cutter) that I picked up off of Smokey Mountain Knife Works (smkw.com). I can easily and quickly open and close it with a single hand.

In addition to the thumb knobs on the blade, it had the flip tab on the back of the blade that caught my hand every time I reached into my pocket, like J_Dazzle reported. On a $15 knife, my solution was to grind the tab down a bit and round it off.

I have to sharpen it more than I might if it were better steal. But it sharpens up ok for what I need (letter opener, fingernail picker, string cutter, etc) and it is cheap enough I won't be broken hearted when I lose it. In fact, I've got one lost somewhere in the insulation of my attic. I have one sitting in my drawer waiting to replace the one that is currently in my pocket. At $15 I bought 3 for myself.

For some things, I've decided that low cost is the way to go.

Charles

I used to buy only these type of knives. Well, until one of the locking mechanisms broke and nearly cut my fingers off at the knuckle.

If you can find a good knife that you can trust to stay open, then save your money. For me, I can find one I trust for right about double that price.

To each their own- charles and others here have had good experiences with all different types of knives. I would go to amazon and look up all the knives suggested here and read all the reviews on them. Most will have tons.
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby quychang » Thu 28 May 2015 7:22 pm

I have a Gerber paraframe Tanto folder, with pocket clip. I'm certain I paid less than $30.00 at Smith and Edwards. Off the shelf price, no sale. It's been a solid performer, has held an edge well, and I abuse the heck out of it. I've had good luck with Gerber's, Kershaw's, CRKT, and also some decent luck with the $5-$10 folders. You can easily spend $200 for a pocket knife. I end up losing them far to often to consider that price range though. I'm not sure where you are, but Scheels has a nice selection of knives at reasonable prices, and so does Sportsman's Warehouse, I can only assume the same is true of Cabella's.

Like J, I have had one or two of the ultra cheapies break on me, and I've had a few that weren't so cheap fall apart after hard use. If you don't mind a little bulk and pushing your price range, Buck makes a great lockback folder that's rugged as all get out. Personally I would carry it in it's belt sheath rather than a pocket, but it's a great tool.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby dewittdj » Thu 28 May 2015 7:27 pm

Laser pointer for easy target acquisition
Light for low light situations
Reflex sight for precision sticking

TacLasKnifSight.png
TacLasKnifSight.png (78.09 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby Cinhil » Thu 28 May 2015 9:20 pm

Concerning combo edges, though I have one, it is not a feature I use. If I were in an emergency situation and needed to get out of a stupid seatbelt it would work great, or some things while camping. I would say stick to a straight edge as overall it is more versatile. A Lake 111 Z knife would be nic, or one f these otheres; https://www.google.com/search?q=crkt+la ... B800%3B800.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby SirGentleman » Thu 28 May 2015 10:55 pm

dewittdj wrote:Laser pointer for easy target acquisition
Light for low light situations
Reflex sight for precision sticking

TacLasKnifSight.png

Now THAT'S Tacti-cool.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams
SirGentleman
Marksman

Postby AlanM » Thu 28 May 2015 10:58 pm

My EDC knife is a Gerber Paraframe also.

If someone is REALLY worried about their knife not staying locked open (or closed for that matter), why not go for "less is more".

For years I carried an Opinel #6 everywhere I went.
No springs, no spring loaded latch to break. The lock is a ring at the base of the blade that will lock the blade both open or closed and once you've worked the knife for a while it's possible to take the knife out of your pocket, unlock it, flip the blade out, and lock it in the open position all one handed.
The blades are carbon steel and keep an excellent edge.
(EDIT: I just checked Amazon and now stainless steel bladed versions are also available. Also other models other than folders.)

I tried an experiment on my #6. I was concerned about rusting of the blade so I used some cold bluing on it and was surprised to have it turn a really nice shade of brown.

Here's the Opinel Site: http://www.opinel-usa.com/collections#.VWf_VkbCb3t
Check Amazon for better US pricing.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

suggestions for a decent pocket knife...

Postby aaron » Fri 29 May 2015 11:36 pm

I have had my CRKT M16-01KZ for about 4 years or so and I love it. I also wear my Kershaw Chill its so slim, but well built and highly functional. :thumbsup:

Sent from iPone
aaron
Novice

Postby spenc938 » Mon 01 Jun 2015 9:34 am

Amazon is currently doing $10 off a $50 Kershaw purchase that is shipped and sold by Amazon.
spenc938
Marksman

Postby UCChris » Mon 01 Jun 2015 4:05 pm

I carry a Cold Steel Voyager XL tanto model and a ZT0350 as my two EDC knives.

I really, really like a beefy, solid feeling knife, no matter the weight.
UCChris
Marksman

Postby GK_ » Tue 02 Jun 2015 10:30 am

RoccoRacer wrote:My next blade purchase will be a Kershaw Leek
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009VC9Y ... ref=plSrch

I have this exact knife and love it. I carry it all the time due to it easily and comfortably fitting in my jean front pockets. Good quality solid feel and comes sharp. I have no problem taking it out of my pocket opening it with one hand when I need to do so( i generally clip it so the clip is on the outside of my pocket and knife body inside)
GK_
Marksman

Postby aaron » Wed 03 Jun 2015 8:33 pm

Hey, I've been thinking about getting an Emerson. Just because of the wave opening thing. Anybody think it's really worth getting?

Sent from iPone
aaron
Novice

Postby UCChris » Wed 03 Jun 2015 9:06 pm

aaron wrote:Hey, I've been thinking about getting an Emerson. Just because of the wave opening thing. Anybody think it's really worth getting?

Sent from iPone

Check out the Kershaw CQC series before dropping the money on an Emerson. The 4K and 6K are my favorite.
UCChris
Marksman

Postby aaron » Thu 04 Jun 2015 10:21 am

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the 8k.

Sent from iPone
aaron
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.