Utah Guns Forum banner

Daily Carry

27K views 63 replies 45 participants last post by  desert rat 
#1 ·
I'm a bit of a Knife-Nut and have been since I was given my first pocketknife at age 8. It was a Roy Rogers Camillus. Man I wish I still had it in original condition. Been collecting knives ever since. Proly 500 of so by now.

Through the years I have developed quite a respect for and carry Bench-Made Daily. The Mel Pardut Tanto in my boot and the HK in my pocket with my keys and change. Both are Bench-Made autos and are used daily.

What do you carry in your pocket?

DL

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
DeeJay said:
I carry a gun in my pocket.

Ok, I do carry a small, folding Buck knife in the other pocket but it's not a weapon, it's a tool.

ian

#7 ·
ian husford said:
DeeJay said:
......Ok, I do carry a small, folding Buck knife in the other pocket but it's not a weapon, it's a tool.

ian
My gun is a tool too. :D

Tarzan

#8 ·
I am a big Benchmade fan and have carried one since 1999.

I have a Stryker and a CQC7 but my favorite is my Mini-Griptilian. It goes with me everywhere except customer sites that have a no weapons policy. :cry:

Here it is with my other trusted friend:

#11 ·
My cell-phone with "emergency 911 speed-dialing" enabled.

Just kidding.

#12 ·
Here's my stuff. I don't like carrying a lot so I try to minimize it.

• XD9SC, either on my belt or in my Smart Carry holster[/*]
  • Cellphone, with '9' configured to speed dial 911 (back left pocket)[/*]
  • 1/2 ounce pepper spray (front left pocket, with my car keys)[/*]
  • Boker switchblade knife w/3.75" blade (front right pocket)[/*]
  • Wallet (back right pocket)[/*]

Sometimes I carry a Gerber multi-tool on my belt rather than the knife in my pocket. That's only when I expect to need it. The knife is for cutting stuff, but could be a weapon in a pinch. I like the switchblade because I can open it one-handed. It looks like this:

#14 ·
swillden said:
[*]1/2 ounce pepper spray (front left pocket, with my car keys)
Swil,

Which OC do you carry -- it sounds small, is it??? I had one about the size of the Fox ones I've seen (a roll of quarters) but I just thought it was too bulky and gave it to my mom. I'm looking for something quite a bit smaller that will fit into my pocket without noticing it -- the Fox ones in a front pocket look like you are trying to "account for something", if you know what I mean. :oops: But some of the really small ones seem like (compared to the Fox ones anyways) their BTU's are quite a bit lower. I'm ready to buy a new one so any info. you can give would be helpful.

#15 ·
swillden said:
Here's my stuff. I don't like carrying a lot so I try to minimize it.

• XD9SC, either on my belt or in my Smart Carry holster[/*]
  • Cellphone, with '9' configured to speed dial 911 (back left pocket)[/*]
  • 1/2 ounce pepper spray (front left pocket, with my car keys)[/*]
  • Boker switchblade knife w/3.75" blade (front right pocket)[/*]
  • Wallet (back right pocket)[/*]

Sometimes I carry a Gerber multi-tool on my belt rather than the knife in my pocket. That's only when I expect to need it. The knife is for cutting stuff, but could be a weapon in a pinch. I like the switchblade because I can open it one-handed. It looks like this:

Sometimes I wonder how some guys on here keep their pants up. Suspenders?

#17 ·
bane said:
swillden said:
Swil,

Which OC do you carry -- it sounds small, is it??? I had one about the size of the Fox ones I've seen (a roll of quarters) but I just thought it was too bulky and gave it to my mom. I'm looking for something quite a bit smaller that will fit into my pocket without noticing it -- the Fox ones in a front pocket look like you are trying to "account for something", if you know what I mean. :oops: But some of the really small ones seem like (compared to the Fox ones anyways) their BTU's are quite a bit lower. I'm ready to buy a new one so any info. you can give would be helpful.
<BUMP>... Swil???

#20 ·
bane said:
bane said:
swillden said:
Swil,

<BUMP>... Swil???
Oops, sorry. I didn't have any time when I saw this and decided to answer later -- then promptly forgot about it.

I carry one of these. I bought them when Amazon was selling the pack of 6 for $20. They're small, not a lot of capacity, and only 10% OC, but I can hit a face-sized region from about ten feet away, and even 10% is very incapacitating if you can get it in their nose/mouth/eyes. The compact size makes them very easy to carry. I attached one of the six to my wife's wallet/purse, gave one to my daughter (because she wanted it), used one for testing so I could see how they worked, and carry whichever of the other three is handy when I get dressed.

#21 ·
usSiR said:
where do you buy one of those automatic knifes?
I got mine at the gun show in SLC.

There are some legal issues with them. Federal law makes it illegal to ship one through the US Postal Service, or to carry one on federal lands, indian reservations, in DC or any US protectorate or territory. 21 states ban possession, or carry, or both; a few others have blade length limitations; and many outlaw concealed carry (having a CFP exempts you in some states). If you get one, check the law before traveling with it.

I didn't realize all of that legal crud until after I'd bought mine. I still like it, but it often has to stay home when I travel -- there are some places I can take my gun, but not my knife! Texas, for example.

UPDATE: I just did a little more research and it appears that it may actually be a federal crime for me to carry my knife across any state line. USC Title 15 section 1242 says:

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
I would think that since I don't intend to sell the knife, that's not "interstate commerce", but I'm not sure about that, particularly in light of section 1244(4), which says that this restriction does not apply to:

the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm.
Unless it were illegal for two-armed individuals to carry switchblades, why would this exception be needed? My blade is longer than three inches, too.

So, the switchblade is very handy, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth, legally, unless you stay in Utah.

#22 ·
Just a note;

For anyone interested in picking up a good quality Auto, See "Cutlery Corner" in the Southtown Mall and in Orem across the street from Gunnies. I think It's 4th north. See Gordon, Merideth or Addrienne and mention UCC and or DeeJay and they'll give ya'all a 15% discount. Gordon carries Benchmade, Microtech, MOD, Protec, Smith & Wesson, CKRT, and Cold Steel to name a few. If you want it He has it or will get it.

DJ

#23 ·
Speaking of Smith & Wesson knives. I've been keeping an eye out for a hunting/combat knife that appealed to me for quite some time now. Always liked the venerable K-Bar, but it just wasn't quite me.

Then I stumbled across this, put one on order & am now jonesing until it arrives.

Now back on topic.
I used to always carry my damascus steel butterfly knife in my back pocket when I wore jeans all the time. Now that I wear cargo pants most the time, it just falls down uncomfortably in the bottom of the pocket. Thus It now resides in my briefcase, which isn't always with me.

What I really need is to have someone make a leather belt sheath for it. One that holds it snugly but leaves the top inch or so uncovered for easy access.

#24 ·
Mr. Magnum said:
Speaking of Smith & Wesson knives. I've been keeping an eye out for a hunting/combat knife that appealed to me for quite some time now. Always liked the venerable K-Bar, but it just wasn't quite me.

Then I stumbled across this, put one on order & am now jonesing until it arrives.
Is that for your ankle? :ROFL: I just bought me the Gerber version and I am very pleased with a good, what I call, a all around work knife that I can put through the paces. :crown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.