Daily Carry

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Re: Daily Carry

Postby Tarzan1888 » Tue 01 Jul 2008 3:00 pm

This is mine.

Tarzan
Attachments
supertinker.gif
supertinker.gif (15.25 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
1 Timothy 5:8

But if any aprovide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
Tarzan1888
Sniper

Postby bane » Thu 03 Jul 2008 11:31 am

bane wrote:
swillden wrote:[*]1/2 ounce pepper spray (front left pocket, with my car keys)

Swil,

Which OC do you carry -- it sounds small, is it??? I had one about the size of the Fox ones I've seen (a roll of quarters) but I just thought it was too bulky and gave it to my mom. I'm looking for something quite a bit smaller that will fit into my pocket without noticing it -- the Fox ones in a front pocket look like you are trying to "account for something", if you know what I mean. :oops: But some of the really small ones seem like (compared to the Fox ones anyways) their BTU's are quite a bit lower. I'm ready to buy a new one so any info. you can give would be helpful.

<BUMP>... Swil???
"Men cannot be enslaved politically until they have been disarmed ideologically. When they are so disarmed, it is the victims who take the lead in the process of their own destruction." -- Ayn Rand, Russian-American Philosopher (1905-1982).
bane
Sniper

Postby usSiR » Thu 03 Jul 2008 11:47 am

where do you buy one of those automatic knifes?
usSiR
Marksman

Postby Ty » Sat 05 Jul 2008 9:12 pm

usSiR wrote:where do you buy one of those automatic knifes?

I like the microtech knives.

http://www.microtechknives.com/home.html
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Ty
Marksman

Postby divegeek » Sat 05 Jul 2008 9:47 pm

bane wrote:
bane wrote:
swillden wrote:[*]1/2 ounce pepper spray (front left pocket, with my car keys)

Swil,

Which OC do you carry -- it sounds small, is it??? I had one about the size of the Fox ones I've seen (a roll of quarters) but I just thought it was too bulky and gave it to my mom. I'm looking for something quite a bit smaller that will fit into my pocket without noticing it -- the Fox ones in a front pocket look like you are trying to "account for something", if you know what I mean. :oops: But some of the really small ones seem like (compared to the Fox ones anyways) their BTU's are quite a bit lower. I'm ready to buy a new one so any info. you can give would be helpful.

<BUMP>... Swil???

Oops, sorry. I didn't have any time when I saw this and decided to answer later -- then promptly forgot about it.

I carry one of these. I bought them when Amazon was selling the pack of 6 for $20. They're small, not a lot of capacity, and only 10% OC, but I can hit a face-sized region from about ten feet away, and even 10% is very incapacitating if you can get it in their nose/mouth/eyes. The compact size makes them very easy to carry. I attached one of the six to my wife's wallet/purse, gave one to my daughter (because she wanted it), used one for testing so I could see how they worked, and carry whichever of the other three is handy when I get dressed.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby divegeek » Sat 05 Jul 2008 9:47 pm

usSiR wrote:where do you buy one of those automatic knifes?

I got mine at the gun show in SLC.

There are some legal issues with them. Federal law makes it illegal to ship one through the US Postal Service, or to carry one on federal lands, indian reservations, in DC or any US protectorate or territory. 21 states ban possession, or carry, or both; a few others have blade length limitations; and many outlaw concealed carry (having a CFP exempts you in some states). If you get one, check the law before traveling with it.

I didn't realize all of that legal crud until after I'd bought mine. I still like it, but it often has to stay home when I travel -- there are some places I can take my gun, but not my knife! Texas, for example.

UPDATE: I just did a little more research and it appears that it may actually be a federal crime for me to carry my knife across any state line. USC Title 15 section 1242 says:

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

I would think that since I don't intend to sell the knife, that's not "interstate commerce", but I'm not sure about that, particularly in light of section 1244(4), which says that this restriction does not apply to:

the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm.

Unless it were illegal for two-armed individuals to carry switchblades, why would this exception be needed? My blade is longer than three inches, too.

So, the switchblade is very handy, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth, legally, unless you stay in Utah.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby DeeJay » Mon 07 Jul 2008 6:46 am

Just a note;

For anyone interested in picking up a good quality Auto, See "Cutlery Corner" in the Southtown Mall and in Orem across the street from Gunnies. I think It's 4th north. See Gordon, Merideth or Addrienne and mention UCC and or DeeJay and they'll give ya'all a 15% discount. Gordon carries Benchmade, Microtech, MOD, Protec, Smith & Wesson, CKRT, and Cold Steel to name a few. If you want it He has it or will get it.

DJ
"Those that would sacrafice Freedom for Security deserve neither."
DeeJay
Novice

Postby Mr. Magnum » Wed 09 Jul 2008 3:12 pm

Speaking of Smith & Wesson knives. I've been keeping an eye out for a hunting/combat knife that appealed to me for quite some time now. Always liked the venerable K-Bar, but it just wasn't quite me.

Then I stumbled across this, put one on order & am now jonesing until it arrives.

Now back on topic.
I used to always carry my damascus steel butterfly knife in my back pocket when I wore jeans all the time. Now that I wear cargo pants most the time, it just falls down uncomfortably in the bottom of the pocket. Thus It now resides in my briefcase, which isn't always with me.

What I really need is to have someone make a leather belt sheath for it. One that holds it snugly but leaves the top inch or so uncovered for easy access.
Proud NRA Lifer
Mr. Magnum
Marksman

Postby pedman » Wed 13 Aug 2008 7:30 pm

Mr. Magnum wrote:Speaking of Smith & Wesson knives. I've been keeping an eye out for a hunting/combat knife that appealed to me for quite some time now. Always liked the venerable K-Bar, but it just wasn't quite me.

Then I stumbled across this, put one on order & am now jonesing until it arrives.

Is that for your ankle? :ROFL: I just bought me the Gerber version and I am very pleased with a good, what I call, a all around work knife that I can put through the paces. :crown:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
- Thomas Jefferson

NRA MEMBER
Utah Shooting Sports Council Board Member
pedman
Marksman

Postby Mr. Magnum » Wed 13 Aug 2008 8:21 pm

:raisedbrow: Might be a tad uncomfortable strapped to the ankle. :lol:
Proud NRA Lifer
Mr. Magnum
Marksman

Postby eddified » Wed 13 Aug 2008 10:30 pm

This is what I have in my left front pocket at all times, including when I'm at church. :)
eddified
Marksman

Postby Ishpeck » Fri 22 Aug 2008 10:04 pm

My new knife:

Ishpeck

Postby Narcisist » Mon 08 Sep 2008 8:56 pm

Ishpeck wrote:My new knife:

That's sweet looking blade. . .but is that boondoggle? I haven't seen that since I was in school and all the girls were playing with it.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." --Abraham Lincoln

Richard Barnes
West Valley City, UT
Narcisist
Novice

Postby Boomer » Tue 09 Sep 2008 7:07 pm

Narcisist wrote:
Ishpeck wrote:My new knife:

That's sweet looking blade. . .but is that boondoggle? I haven't seen that since I was in school and all the girls were playing with it.

Parachute cord.....really big with the military. You can make all kinds of lanyards, watchbands, etc.
"A man's got to know his limitations"
-Dirty Harry
Boomer
Novice

Postby Boomer » Tue 09 Sep 2008 7:11 pm

I carry a Benchmade Mini-Griplian. It goes with me everywhere and I feel naked without it. As others have said, It's not a weapon, it's a tool. My Glock 19 on the other hand is a weapon. :bat:
"A man's got to know his limitations"
-Dirty Harry
Boomer
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.