Recommended First Knife for EDC and Self Defense

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Postby Sheepdog » Mon 21 Jun 2010 3:11 pm

Admittedly, I know virtually nothing about pocket knives or knives in general. However, I am looking to purchase a pocket knife for everyday carry and use when hiking in our nearby mountains.

What do y'all recommend?
IANYL
Sheepdog
Novice

Re: Recommended First Knife for EDC and Self Defense

Postby Snurd » Mon 21 Jun 2010 3:19 pm

I haven't carried a pocket knife for a long time, but I really like the Ka-bar TDI knife series. This is the one that I carry:

Then I bought the metal belt clip for it because I didn't like the one that came with it.

Snurd
Posse

Postby B Cart » Mon 21 Jun 2010 4:30 pm

I have really liked Kershaw knives. This is the one I carry. It is very sturdy and extremely durable. The blade is very sharp and there is no play at all between the blade and handle. It opens very fast and smooth, and is big enough to do alot of damage but small enough to not feel big in your pocket. It costs around $50, so it's not overly expensive, and I think it is a great EDC knife that will get the job done.
Attachments
Kershaw-Ram-1910-600x508.jpg
Kershaw-Ram-1910-600x508.jpg (77.38 KiB) Viewed 7711 times
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper
B Cart
Sniper

Postby Black Metal » Mon 21 Jun 2010 4:55 pm

SOG Flash II. It has a reversible clip so you can wear it in either pocket. You can buy them at Lowes for 39.99 everywhere else they seem to run about 55.
Last edited by Black Metal on Mon 21 Jun 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Metal
Marksman

Postby cdrhoad » Mon 21 Jun 2010 8:49 pm

B Cart wrote:I have really liked Kershaw knives. This is the one I carry. It is very sturdy and extremely durable. The blade is very sharp and there is no play at all between the blade and handle. It opens very fast and smooth, and is big enough to do alot of damage but small enough to not feel big in your pocket. It costs around $50, so it's not overly expensive, and I think it is a great EDC knife that will get the job done.

+1. I got mine from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8040&p=88697&hilit=tactical+edge#p88697
A is A
cdrhoad
Expert Marksman

Postby veyec » Tue 22 Jun 2010 6:18 am

That Kershaw looks like a sweet knife!

I have carried my CRKT M16 for many years. It fits my hand well. The blade is not the hardest I have ever had, but on the up-side, it only takes me a couple of minutes to put the edge back.

I have also recently picked up one of these:

The blade is pretty hard and seems to hold an edge longer than the M16. It comes with a thin sheath you can use as a neck knife and also can be worn on the belt with a cool little attachment buckle. Some people have stated that the buckle is junk. It is if you wear it on the outside of your belt. But if you wear it with the knife in between your belt and pants, it works great!

I think picking out a knife is like picking a gun. What works for you may not be what work for others.
Guns? Oh yeah, I have a few!

My name is Vic. Starts with a V and ends with a C. There is an eye in the middle.

http://www.facebook.com/victor.baugh
veyec
Expert Marksman

Postby moyler » Tue 22 Jun 2010 8:41 am

veyec wrote:I think picking out a knife is like picking a gun. What works for you may not be what work for others.

I think this is very true. There are arguably more knife styles and designs than there are hand gun variations.

For self defense, I currently carry a Pardue designed Benchmade which I like a lot, or a double action Lone Wolf Lobo. In addition, I will also carry a small SOG manual opener for boxes, etc., or those pesky plastic ties they use to near-permanantly attach kids toys to their packaging.

Someone smarter than I once recommended to our class to always carry a work knife for daily chores, and another knife carried strictly for self defense. Made a lot of sense to me. Thanks Dan.

This is a good deal on a Kershaw set up the way I like 'em: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... l?s=KS1580
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.realworldpds.com/
Suarez International Staff Instructor
www.suarezinternational.com
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Pistol, PPIH Instructor, RSO
moyler
Sniper

Postby ranger45 » Tue 22 Jun 2010 10:18 pm

B Cart wrote:I have really liked Kershaw knives. This is the one I carry. It is very sturdy and extremely durable. The blade is very sharp and there is no play at all between the blade and handle. It opens very fast and smooth, and is big enough to do alot of damage but small enough to not feel big in your pocket. It costs around $50, so it's not overly expensive, and I think it is a great EDC knife that will get the job done.

Where do you get that knife for that price? I have not seen them around.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
ranger45
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snowman » Wed 23 Jun 2010 12:17 am

Kershaw is good, I have one, but a cold steel spartan replaced it. Now that is ALMOST a crocodile Dundee knife. It carries low, it is not as bulky as it looks, and it has the best 'snap' when it opens. the cold steel ak-47 is also good and smaller. I really want a boker, but I keep blowing the money on ammo.
Springfield 1911 black loaded target. 460 Rowland.
M&P 40 Pro.
RSO.
To be voluntarily disarmed is to rely on the honor of the dishonorable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Snowman
Sniper

Postby B Cart » Wed 23 Jun 2010 4:08 pm

ranger45 wrote:

Where do you get that knife for that price? I have not seen them around.

They are $52.00 here: http://www.botachtactical.com/ke19ramkn.html
and also here: http://www.tacticalgunarmory.com/Kersha ... /50798.htm

I'm not sure if you can find one for that price locally... I saw them at sportsmens warehouse but I think they were around $60.00 - 62.00 in the store.
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper
B Cart
Sniper

Postby ranger45 » Wed 23 Jun 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks for the info B Cart.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
ranger45
Sharp Shooter

Postby MajorNickmo » Fri 25 Jun 2010 1:13 am

Snowman wrote:Kershaw is good, I have one, but a cold steel spartan replaced it. Now that is ALMOST a crocodile Dundee knife. It carries low, it is not as bulky as it looks, and it has the best 'snap' when it opens. the cold steel ak-47 is also good and smaller. I really want a boker, but I keep blowing the money on ammo.

I EDC the AK-47 Cold Steel and I love it. It has stayed sharp as I've put it through the paces for the the last three years that I've owned it. I accidentally forgot I had it on me one time when I went to get on a flight...oops. I told the agent, before I pulled it out of my pocket, and before I went through the metal detector that I had it on me and that I had forgotten to put it in my checked luggage. The TSA agent called a cop over to supervise me as I filled out the mailing info (to send it to myself) and she, upon seeing the knife opened by the officer, said, "Why on earth would you ever need to carry a knife like that?!" The LEO answered before I could and said, "Because you never know when you'll need it." I was pleasantly surprised at his response--especially since he was letting me mail it to myself and not confiscating it. :-)
NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO
Utah CFP Instructor

CEO & Co-Founder
http://www.UtahGunExchange.com
MajorNickmo
Expert Marksman

Postby B Cart » Fri 25 Jun 2010 10:58 am

MajorNickmo wrote: The TSA agent called a cop over to supervise me as I filled out the mailing info (to send it to myself)

That's great you got to mail it home to yourself! I just did the same thing two weeks ago and forgot I had one of my knives on me. They would NOT let me mail it to myself. They said I could either put it on my stowed luggage (which was already checked and gone) or they just take it. Where my luggage was already checked and on the plane I just had to give it to them. I told them I would pay to send it to myself but they wouldn't let me.
B Cart
Sniper

Postby closecombat » Thu 01 Jul 2010 3:20 pm

All very nice knives. Now to the other part of the question? How do you use it to defend yourself? If you're not sure. Hit me up sometime. I have been doing knife fighting since 2004.
closecombat
Novice

Postby CDR_Glock » Sun 17 Oct 2010 6:23 pm

My EDCs:

Glock 27, benchmade infidel 3300 and a benchmade Balisong model 42.

I have others to choose from:

ImageImageImage

Then there's my Fixed Blades like this one (Cold Steel Master San Mai Tanto):

Snap cut:
ImageImage My Glocktalk Spyderco Endura is a great utility knife too.
CDR_Glock
Novice

Next

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.