Recommended First Knife for EDC and Self Defense

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding knives, swords, and other non-firearm weapons.

Re: Recommended First Knife for EDC and Self Defense

Postby BlackGhost97 » Sun 31 Oct 2010 8:35 pm

i carry a flip knife, serated half of the blade, for utility which will soon be replaced by my benchmade 51 balisong. At night i carry a 1(and 1/2?) blade push dagger and my small throwing knife but i will most likely stop because legality issues with me being a minor. cant find pics sorry mates.
BlackGhost97
Novice

Postby DonSeher » Mon 01 Nov 2010 6:51 am

mqondo wrote:I haven't carried a pocket knife for a long time, but I really like the Ka-bar TDI knife series. This is the one that I carry:

Then I bought the metal belt clip for it because I didn't like the one that came with it.

I have one of these as well. Easily concealed on the belt and VERY fast access. Plus if you are in a "Stuff Hits The Fan" situation you don't have to worry about fine motor skills to open the blade. I don't have one of the belt clips yet though. Looks like I have a little something to pick up... :D
H&K USP Tactical .45
Bersa Thunder .380
Rueger 10/22
Mossberg 500
DonSeher
Marksman

Postby B Cart » Mon 01 Nov 2010 8:52 am

So I had my last kershaw edc knife stolen recently. I looked around at a few other knives and ended up getting this one. It is very durable and extremely sharp, and I got it for $50. So far I like it
Attachments
Kershaw-1670TBLKST-2T.jpg
Kershaw-1670TBLKST-2T.jpg (17.22 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper
B Cart
Sniper

Postby Wolfman » Mon 01 Nov 2010 2:14 pm

The problem with knife recommendations is that there are so many TERRIFIC knives out there. It's not a "which is better", but "which fits my preference" game, and that's a tough one to play.

FWIW, I absolutely LOVE my Kershaw Blackout.
Wolfman
Marksman

Postby Korben88 » Sun 13 Mar 2011 5:08 pm

This is what I carry, I think I paid around $50 @ Cabellas

Utah CFP instructor ~ NRA Pistol Instructor ~ NRA Rifle Instructor

http://www.aegisfirearmsinstruction.com
http://www.facebook.com/aegisfirearmsinstruction
Korben88
Sniper

Recommended First Knife for EDC and Self Defense

Postby G1785 » Sun 13 Mar 2011 6:45 pm

I've been pretty interested in getting some knives too keep trying to find something like a neck knife with a skeletonized handle that I can rap with para cord
G1785
Novice

Postby moyler » Sun 13 Mar 2011 7:03 pm

G1785 wrote:I've been pretty interested in getting some knives too keep trying to find something like a neck knife with a skeletonized handle that I can rap with para cord

I got one of these for free when I purchased a coat. http://www.911tacticaldirect.com/511-51023.html Can be worn on the neck, belt or boot. I wouldn't consider it a first option, but not too shabby as a second or third option if you are going out for a nice night on the town.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.realworldpds.com/
Suarez International Staff Instructor
www.suarezinternational.com
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Pistol, PPIH Instructor, RSO
moyler
Sniper

Postby oddthought » Sat 21 May 2011 4:35 pm

I have loved my Kershaw Leek. It's the right length for me to use it as a tool, and it is definitely sharp enough for near anything. I love the one hand open especially. Most people have a hard time figuring out how to open it when locked and close it while open, which is just fine with me. The body lock makes it slim enough that I'm actually comfortable carrying it in my pocket, unlike many other knives I have used. Plus, it's pretty cheap and readily available.
Common sense: what an odd thought.
Your best safety is between your ears. Use it early, and often.
Ruger SR9c
oddthought
Novice

Previous

Return to Knives, Swords, etc.