S H T F Gear ACE-1 Gen 2 Holster

This forum should be used to review other non firearm items such as flashlights, lasers and other sights, holsters, etc.

Postby Snurd » Tue 05 Aug 2014 3:06 pm

There I was, getting home from work, when I noticed some lame tree branches that were hanging way to low. I grabbed the Fiskars cutters and a ladder and started cutting away at various irritating branches. Not long after I started, the driveway was covered in branches, and the mail man was coming down the road. I proceeded to move some out of the way so that he could meander past if he so desired.

When he neared, I noticed that he had a small brown box in his hands. It's really fun to get packages in the mail, and I was hoping it was for me. Then I realized that I hadn't ordered anything from Amazon, so it must be for my wife.

I was wrong. Indy from this forum had asked me earlier if I wanted to try out a S H T F Holster to test out and evaluate. I said something to the effect of "Hecks to the Yeah"! That's what arrived today. Thanks Indy, and also to S H T F Holsters for sending it to me out of the goodness of your hearts. Or holsters. :thumbsup:

Sadly I had to clean up the rest of the debris before I could open the box and play. :crying:

A couple things that I noticed when I opened the box. First, the holster and other little items are sealed in plastic. Not taped, sealed. So if the mail man decided to leave the package in a place where water or snow could get at it, the contents would be safe. Second, it comes with an Allen wrench. Crossbreed holsters have phillips screws so that you can adjust the cant of the gun. S H T F Holsters has Allen screws to adjust the cant.

That's not all though. One thing that I have found really fun about the Crossbreed, is that if the gun doesn't have the retention that you want, you have to heat the Kydex and form it by hand to get whatever tension you want. Usually it's not too difficult and doesn't take a long time, but I tried it with the G42 holster I recently received, and it was very difficult. In fact I couldn't get it to tighten up at all. It's not a major deal, but I would like that one a little tighter, especially if I carry it for work.

The S H T F Holster uses the Allen screws for the retention as well. One side is sewn with Kevlar stitching, and the other has the Allen screws with rubber spacers. :thumbsup: I really like that. It's much easier to adjust tension, and there is less chance that I will be roasting my fingers. Sorry Crossbreed.

I snagged the Glock 30 out of the safe and slid it into its new home. It fit nicely, but I decided to tighten up the screws just a little bit to snug it up. Quick, easy, and painless.

The first thing that I noticed when I put it on was the sweat guard cut. It was digging into my body. I first thought that this was going to be a permanent pain in my back. I took the holster off and looked at it. I quickly found the issue. While the edges of the leather were rounded, there was still something poking out. The little leather grains were poking out and created a sharp edge. Normally the little leather bits are not an issue, but with the black dye used it created a hard coating just on the edge that was a little bothersome. I went and snagged a fine sanding block with a gentle touch I was able to quickly get rid of the sharp edge. It wasn't something serious, and wouldn't cause any cuts or anything. It was just a little obnoxious until I figured out what was wrong. I went around the entire holster edge to make sure it was softened up. And soften up it did.

After that, it was immediately comfortable. With Crossbreed's holsters, usually they feel great, but do need some adjusting with the cant. Some of the holsters have needed a break in period, though it has never really been very long. Maybe a few days of continuous use. With S H T F's holster, I didn't need to adjust the cant to make it more comfortable. Some may need to, or they may like it canted differently, but it was nice right out of the package for me.

Something else that I noticed that is different from the Crossbreed holster. The holes that are punched in the Crossbreed holsters are round. The screws that you receive come with a base that fits into the back of the holster, and they have three teeth that sink into the leather. It takes some effort to get those teeth to sink in. The S H T F Holster also has an area punched for the teeth. I would imagine that it would make changing the position a lot easier. Since I didn't have to change the cant on the holster, I haven't tried to see how much easier it would make it. But I can see that it is a nice feature that Crossbreed is lacking. Sorry Crossbreed.

This holster has a few new things that the Original ACE-1 didn't have. Here is a list of the new additions from the website: S H T F Gear ACE-1 Gen 2

- Comfort CURVE: provides greater comfort by creating a curve in the normally flat backer.

-Adjustable retention: allows you to adjust the holster to have the exact level of retention that you desire.

-Thicker Kydex: the new design uses .093" Kydex for maximum durability.

-Increased Kydex Coverage: the precision Kydex shell has been extended for a more secure fit.

-Flared Opening: the mouth of the holster has been flared to allow for easier holstering.

The comfort curve is nice. I'm guessing that's why it felt so comfortable when I put it on. It didn't have to form to me, or have that break in period. The easily adjustable retention is really handy. The flared opening is slight, and though I haven't had much trouble re-holstering, I can see how this will make it even easier. :thumbsup:

I will be wearing this as much as I can so that I can get a good report in later. As for now, this holster is really comfortable. I have tried other holsters that were not Crossbreed, and were very disappointed in how they felt. As of now, I think Crossbreed may be bent out of shape that my business will be shifting to a local company. It does need it's trial run, but it's pretty slick, and I'm already impressed by it. I didn't think that any holster company would be able to pry me away from Crossbreed after my other holster woes. It just wasn't worth it to me to try a different holster and then have to pay for the Crossbreed shortly after because the other wasn't up to Crossbreeds standards. Been there, done that.

Now I have to wonder if Crossbreed is up to S H T F's standards.
Snurd
Posse

Re: S H T F Gear ACE-1 Gen 2 Holster

Postby Snurd » Tue 05 Aug 2014 3:07 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407276399.633271.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407276399.633271.jpg (93.52 KiB) Viewed 9436 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407276409.615636.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407276409.615636.jpg (88.48 KiB) Viewed 9436 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407276417.799327.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407276417.799327.jpg (88.43 KiB) Viewed 9436 times
Snurd
Posse

Postby quychang » Tue 05 Aug 2014 5:43 pm

Nice first contact review Tracy, and great pics. I've been debating an IWB for my 1911, the Galco I bought for OWB is nice, but no retention, mostly because I didn't care for the fit on the retention holsters I tried. I'll give these guys the eyeball!

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby Photocell » Tue 05 Aug 2014 6:14 pm

I actually stumbled across these guys 15 min. Before you posted this. I was browsing Amazon for IWB holsters and seen them, I knew I had heard their name but forgot they were a local company. Good review Snurd.
Photocell
Marksman

Postby dewittdj » Tue 05 Aug 2014 7:46 pm

Great review Snurd!!! What's the MSRP of the S H T F Gear holster you received?
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby Snurd » Tue 05 Aug 2014 7:53 pm

dewittdj wrote:Great review Snurd!!! What's the MSRP of the S H T F Gear holster you received?

$59.95
Snurd
Posse

Postby XSlevinn » Wed 06 Aug 2014 8:16 am

Nice review. I actually won a S H T F horizontal mag carrier for conceal carry from them on their FB giveaway. I honestly didn't think I would really wear it but gave it a try for a day or two.. That day or two has now turned into weeks. I'm rather enjoying it. And the guy is a stud because I originally won something else that I couldn't use so he offered to give me the mag carrier instead, which I accepted.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson
--------------------------
Saiga .223
Mossberg 590A1
Remington 552 Speedmaster
Glock 23
1944 Mosin Nagant
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45
XSlevinn
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Wed 06 Aug 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks ya'll. :D

For work I have always carried a reasonably small pistol. M&P Shield, Glock 42, and J frame revolvers. I've never carried a Glock 19, I figured it would be a bit big and stick out too much even in an IWB holster. I may try the 19 one of these days, since today I decided to carry the Glock 30 in the ACE-1 gen 2 holster. I notice a difference in weight here and there when I think about it, but it hides really well. I'm thinking that curve they put in the holster to bring the grip of the gun in more is working. It doesn't stick out very much.

The only thing I notice is when I'm not wearing a work belt, my shirt can get stuck behind the grip of the gun. That's not a holster issue though, that's because the grip is bigger and likes to grab shirts. My other guns would do the same, but not as often. It's not a big deal since I'm used to that happening and I always pull my shirt down when I stand back up. It's a habit now since I've been carrying.

I'm pretty impressed by this holster already.
Snurd
Posse

Postby Korben88 » Wed 06 Aug 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks for the review Tracy, my kholster just cracked on me so I think I'll give these guys a try since they are local.
Utah CFP instructor ~ NRA Pistol Instructor ~ NRA Rifle Instructor

http://www.aegisfirearmsinstruction.com
http://www.facebook.com/aegisfirearmsinstruction
Korben88
Sniper

Postby sypher » Wed 06 Aug 2014 5:00 pm

When I was looking for my first iwb holster,I had it narrowed down to the s h t f and stealth gear. I went with the stealth gear and it's been great. That being said, it's good to know that my second choice would have been a good one. Next time I'm in the market I'll give it another look.
Thanks for taking the time for the write up. I look forward to your follow up report after you've used it a bit.
Brian

NRA RSO
sypher
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Sat 06 Sep 2014 12:10 pm

A little addition. I've been using this holster for most of my off work time since I got it. I have also been carrying a G19 in a Crossbreed from time to time. I have had the Crossbreed much longer, but haven't used it a ton since I usually carry with a Safariland OWB when off work. I would say that I have used the Crossbreed a little more since I have had it longer. But I have used the S H T F Gear a good amount recently.

A thing or twelve that I have noticed. The CB holster has a tendency to allow the clips to loosen after a while. So far this hasn't happened with the S H T F.

Also the clips on the S H T F have a ridge just below the part that clings on to your belt. This has helped the holster stay put better, and acts a little like a Blackhawk Serpa or Safariland hook that helps keep the holster from mindlessly crawling out if your shorts when unholstering.

I haven't had an issue with the CB holster coming out, but the S H T F holster stays put well unless you feel the urge to move it.

Really comfortable. Easy to adjust. Stays put. Locally made.

Here is a pic so you can see the difference between the two.

ETA: The Kydex on the S H T F holster is also thicker than the CB holster. You won't be able to tell in the below photo, though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410030635.823689.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410030635.823689.jpg (108.73 KiB) Viewed 7275 times

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby Snurd » Sun 14 Sep 2014 2:53 pm

I put this review up on Glock ID so that more people could see it. I posted the review, and in another thread I posted a link to this thread.

http://id.glock.com/answer/question/view/id/143367
Snurd
Posse

Postby Snurd » Mon 27 Oct 2014 9:19 pm

Just ordered one of these for the Glock 30S. :dancing:
Snurd
Posse

Postby quychang » Tue 28 Oct 2014 6:21 am

Snurdly, on your recommendation I ordered one for my XD .45 compact tactical. My one observation is that comfort greatly depends on carry location. I tend to carry just about even with my front pocket on my jeans. That is really uncomfortable with this holster. If I shift it back to 2:30-3:00 it's quite comfortable on my hip and even with a larger gun like the XD I barely notice it's there. I believe it's the pre curvature that they build in to the holster that makes it comfortable on the hip, and not so much as I move towards appendix carry.

I haven't used it a lot yet, but the times I have carried have been for long drives in the car, etc. and it's been fine sitting as well.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Tue 28 Oct 2014 6:55 am

quychang wrote:Snurdly, on your recommendation I ordered one for my XD .45 compact tactical. My one observation is that comfort greatly depends on carry location. I tend to carry just about even with my front pocket on my jeans. That is really uncomfortable with this holster. If I shift it back to 2:30-3:00 it's quite comfortable on my hip and even with a larger gun like the XD I barely notice it's there. I believe it's the pre curvature that they build in to the holster that makes it comfortable on the hip, and not so much as I move towards appendix carry.

I haven't used it a lot yet, but the times I have carried have been for long drives in the car, etc. and it's been fine sitting as well.

Mel

The S H T F for me is much more comfortable while sitting and in while in the car for sure. I have shifted the Crossbreed around to where it is comfortable to carry, but it can still be annoying while driving. For long car rides I usually have to take it off with the Crossbreed. I haven't taken any long rides with the Ace-1 gen 2 yet, so I can't say how that will be.

Even though the Glock 30 is heavier than the Glock 19, I have noticed that the 30 is more comfortable to carry in the S H T F than the 19 is in the Crossbreed.

I have tried the S H T F more forward that I normally carry. Usually I carry at 3:30-4 and that's the sweet spot. I can carry this holster a little more forward with out much of an issue. I haven't tried to carry it forward of 3:00 though. I tried briefly with the Crossbreed and it was REALLY uncomfortable if I tried to sit down or move a lot. I had even bought an appendix holster from Crossbreed, and I couldn't stand it.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Next

Return to Accessory Reviews