Username change: swillden is now divegeek

Any board related changes or announcements can be found here.

Username change: swillden is now divegeek

Postby Jeff Johnson » Mon 01 Jun 2009 10:20 pm

This is just an announcement that forum member "swillden" is now called "divegeek" on UCC.
IANAL => I Am Not A Lawyer
NRA Life Member | USSC | CCRKBA | UtahConcealedCarry.com
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

Re: Username change: swillden is now divegeek

Postby xRapidDavex » Tue 02 Jun 2009 9:29 am

Swiliden is a household name. Who is this 'divegeek'?? 8)
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby divegeek » Tue 02 Jun 2009 9:39 am

xRapidDavex wrote:Swiliden is a household name. Who is this 'divegeek'?? 8)

I got tired of being called "swill"! :-)

Also, I've had to switch my username on IRC and some other places lately, and in the process I've decided I like divegeek better.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby DinTex » Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:04 am

If I take that literally, .. where do you go? What do you do (just recreation, penetration and technical?), how much experience do you have ?

Just interested to know, as I am myself a OWDI with PADI. :-)
DinTex
Liberalism preaches confident social engineering by the regulatory state. Conservatism urges government humility in the face of society’s creative complexity
_____ George F. Will, 5th of October
DinTex
Sniper

Postby divegeek » Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:54 am

DinTex wrote:If I take that literally, .. where do you go? What do you do (just recreation, penetration and technical?), how much experience do you have?

Most of my diving is on business trips. Whenever I go somewhere near interesting water, I try to arrange it so that I can take a day or two of vacation time and go diving. As a result, I've been able to dive in a lot of places all over the world, because my business trips have taken me all over -- though usually not so much to the dive destinations. The best places I've been are the Red Sea, the Great Barrier Reef and Cayman Brac. I've also been diving in CA (north and south), FL, NJ, WA, UT (obviously), Jamaica and southern France.

I only do recreational diving; I'd really like to get into technical diving but am financially-constrained, especially since I have two other expensive hobbies, photography and guns. I do like to go deep, though I stay scrupulously within the no-deco limits, and I pay close attention to my narcosis level, and make my max depth decision in advance AND don't hesitate to abort sooner if I'm uncomfortable. Certification-wise, all I have is PADI AOW, though I'm planning to take some GUE courses soon, now that a local shop offers them, and I've been planning to do the PADI Rescue course for a long time. I have a little over 200 logged dives, in about 8 years of diving. Sadly, nearly all of those dives were logged in the first 3-4 years of that time. I haven't managed to get in the water much of late.

The "geek" part comes because I'm fascinated with the theory and science of diving (well, and because I'm into math and computers, etc.). A while back I even started writing my own implementation of various decompression models. Never finished it, and there's better stuff available in open source now, but it was fun. I'm really fascinated by deep, multi-mixture diving with sophisticated deco profiles. I'm not sure I would actually enjoy the type of dive that requires you to hang out at multiple deco stops for hours, just so you can spend 20 minutes in the dark at 400 feet, but I'd sure like to try it. I also think cave diving would be fantastic fun. Of course, doing any of those things safely requires lots of money, both for training and gear, and to fund enough dives to gradually work your skill level up. At ~$50 per fill, tri-mix makes that pretty expensive.

DinTex wrote:Just interested to know, as I am myself a OWDI with PADI. :-)

Awesome!

I wonder how many other divers there are here... maybe we need a meetup at Blue Lake? An ocean dive meetup would be really cool, too, but the best relatively close ocean diving is the the People's Republic of California, and a UCC/OCDO meetup without guns would just be wrong. There's some diving in Washington and Oregon, but it's much colder. I dove Puget Sound in a wet suit once, the marine life was awesome (I saw octopus with heads as big as a man's chest and a rare six-gill shark), but that water is just too cold without a dry suit, which I don't have.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby RB1951 » Tue 02 Jun 2009 12:32 pm

Very impressive multi-talents. I always wanted to learn to dive, but never really had the money. I also like photography and that is expensive as well. Not to mention guns! I think we're all just glad you're still on the forum, regardless of the name! :mrgreen:
Russ
RB1951
Novice

Postby xRapidDavex » Tue 02 Jun 2009 3:41 pm

divegeek wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:Swiliden is a household name. Who is this 'divegeek'?? 8)

I got tired of being called "swill"! :-)

Also, I've had to switch my username on IRC and some other places lately, and in the process I've decided I like divegeek better.

That's just the downfall of most usernames. Anyone could easily call you 'dive' or 'geek'. :D
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby dons » Tue 02 Jun 2009 3:50 pm

I dive, though like divegeek I haven't done so in awhile. Most of my dives have been in and around Utah in our chilly lakes, with the exception of Blue lake. I would love to get together with a group and head out to Blue lake some day.
Dum Spiro Spero
While I breathe, I hope
dons
Marksman

Postby divegeek » Tue 02 Jun 2009 5:06 pm

xRapidDavex wrote:That's just the downfall of most usernames. Anyone could easily call you 'dive' or 'geek'. :D

I'm fine with either of those :-)

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby divegeek » Tue 02 Jun 2009 5:06 pm

dons wrote:I dive, though like divegeek I haven't done so in awhile. Most of my dives have been in and around Utah in our chilly lakes, with the exception of Blue lake. I would love to get together with a group and head out to Blue lake some day.

Did you just volunteer to plan it? :twisted:

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Return to Site Announcements