Utah Guns Forum banner

Considering Smaller for Summer Carry

13K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Flopian 
#1 ·
As it warms up, I highly doubt I'll be able to comfortably CC either my 5" 1911 or my P97dc.

I'm thinking about a Taurus pt111 G2. I've held them at a couple of different places, they have a good price point, and the reviews are generally favorable.

Pros and cons would be appreciated.

The problem is that no place I've been able to contact has one for rent, and I really don't personally know anyone who owns one for me to ask.

I haven't called any places in Ogden yet, so hopefully calling around up there bears fruit.

#2 ·
I really like the Ruger LC9s. It's small, it's accurate, has decent capacity, the recoil isn't uncomfortable, and it goes bang every time. I carry it in a simple Blackhawk pocket holster. There is one thing I don't like about it and that is the magazine disconnect.

#3 ·
Umm... Go Taurus! :shock:

I know there are many people that like Taurus, but I don't. I would much rather get a higher quality gun. Springfield XD-S, S&W M&P Shield, Glock 43. Kahn makes some single stacks as well, but I wouldn't buy one of those either. My dad has one, and the trigger is long and pretty heavy. Not very comfortable for me to shoot either.

Out of the three I listed above, I like the XD-S the best, then the Glock 43, with the Shield last. Not that the Shield is bad, I shoot the other two much better. Out of the three, the G43 tends to slap your palm with 115 grain ammunition. I tried it with 147 grain ammo, and it was great.

#4 ·
My "frequent carry" list includes:
Full size 1911
Ruger P95DC
Ruger LCR (.327 Federal)
Ruger LCP

During the winter, pretty much anything goes.
During the "transition" seasons, the 1911 and P95 are situational.
During the summer, it's pretty much just the LCR and LCP.
T-shirt and shorts? LCP. Even the LCR is too much for my small frame.

Plus... When I'm carrying the LCP, it really becomes one of the proverbial "forgot that it's even there" situations. It's like tucking air into my waste band.

#5 ·
Being a new member, my recent posts cannot be edited. So I can't add this to the last post.
But I wanted to add:

My own experience with Taurus PT-series handguns has been pretty horrible.

If it were me, the concept of reviews being "generally favorable" would be a huge no-go. When your life and the lives of your family are on the line, is "generally reliable" something you want to count on?

#6 ·
Snurd said:
Umm... Go Taurus! :shock:

I know there are many people that like Taurus, but I don't. I would much rather get a higher quality gun. Springfield XD-S, S&W M&P Shield, Glock 43. Kahn makes some single stacks as well, but I wouldn't buy one of those either. My dad has one, and the trigger is long and pretty heavy. Not very comfortable for me to shoot either.

Out of the three I listed above, I like the XD-S the best, then the Glock 43, with the Shield last. Not that the Shield is bad, I shoot the other two much better. Out of the three, the G43 tends to slap your palm with 115 grain ammunition. I tried it with 147 grain ammo, and it was great.
Wow I have never really felt like I wanted a taurus semi-auto but after that video I really don't. I think I would still be comfortable with one of their revolvers but still would not be my first choice.

#8 ·
Ive owned several Taurus firearms, and had no major problems with any of them. I currently own a ruger LC9 which I carry for most of the same reasons that you are looking for something smaller, and I highly recommend the ruger if you can afford it (its a bit more than the compact tauruses). If you cant, then the small frame taurus guns are generally pretty good, and taurus is good about warranty issues if you have any.

#10 ·
I have a Sig P938 that I like pretty well. Currently it's semi out of commission though. I had an aftermarket stainless steel trigger installed and I'm not happy with. Rather than ship it back to the gunsmith that installed it my plan is to send it back to the Sig pro shop and have it reverted to a factory trigger. Overall it's a nice shooting little 9mm and my wife has the P238, and loves it. I have to admit, I like it pretty well too, though .380 acp is not my round of choice.

Mel

#12 ·
i've looked a lot into thsi as well because i carry a full size G17 all the thim, but and going with a G43 or G36 (9 vs 45 single stack) or a Sig 938... price points me towards the GLOCK but i really want the Sig

#15 ·
Bill801 said:
I think I'm going to try the SCCY CPX-2.

Here's the link to specs: http://www.sccy.com/product/cpx-2-cb-9mm/

Good price point for NIB, good reviews.

Thoughts?
i am a fan of long records of proven reliability... I personally have never heard of that brand/ company and have never shot one... seems like a good price but not for me

#16 ·
faydee said:
Bill801 said:
I think I'm going to try the SCCY CPX-2.

Here's the link to specs: http://www.sccy.com/product/cpx-2-cb-9mm/

Good price point for NIB, good reviews.

Thoughts?
i am a fan of long records of proven reliability... I personally have never heard of that brand/ company and have never shot one... seems like a good price but not for me
They've been around for a few years.

Overall, most customers are satisfied with the purchase.

There are, however, some very common hiccups and failures. Go poking around the SCCY forums, to see what even the 'rabid' owners really think about them.

I'm not ready to give one a chance, even as a 'recreational' firearm. Not at full price, anyway. Any time I think about ordering one, I get visions of a Caracal C...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.