Mosin Nagant trigger pull

Post any gunsmithing services or parts in this forum

Mosin Nagant trigger pull

Postby pvupilot » Tue 23 Apr 2013 8:49 pm

Hi guys,

I just got myself a mosin nagant and love shooting it, except for one annoying part... the trigger pull. It is so dang heavy that by the time I'm squeezing hard enough, the rifle is pretty hard to keep on target. I'm wondering if any of the gunsmiths here locally could make the trigger pull a bit lighter, more like an actual hunting rifle.

Thanks!
Kyle
pvupilot
Novice

Re: Mosin Nagant trigger pull

Postby gskip33 » Wed 24 Apr 2013 9:36 am

There are ways to lighten the pull, but I doubt anyone will make it like a modern hunting rifle pull.
Do you know where the safety is on your mosin? Most people don't.
A light trigger with no safety is asking for problems.
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Postby pvupilot » Wed 24 Apr 2013 10:06 am

gskip33 wrote:There are ways to lighten the pull, but I doubt anyone will make it like a modern hunting rifle pull.

I've seen articles about how to do it yourself but I am not experienced in that stuff and the trigger is something I don't want to mess with myself. I understand it can't be a modern rifle, but the pull its at now is terrible and anything lighter would be much better. I do know where the safety is at and to take it one step safer, I usually just leave the bolt open when I'm not ready to fire
pvupilot
Novice

Postby gskip33 » Wed 24 Apr 2013 10:24 am

pvupilot wrote:
gskip33 wrote:There are ways to lighten the pull, but I doubt anyone will make it like a modern hunting rifle pull.

I've seen articles about how to do it yourself but I am not experienced in that stuff and the trigger is something I don't want to mess with myself. I understand it can't be a modern rifle, but the pull its at now is terrible and anything lighter would be much better. I do know where the safety is at and to take it one step safer, I usually just leave the bolt open when I'm not ready to fire

I can recommend two gunsmiths in the Provo area. Phil at discount guns and ammo does a great job for bigger projects, and Steve over at rangemasters does better with smaller things. I'd imagine either would be capable of helping you.

Good luck!
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Postby muddy » Wed 24 Apr 2013 4:55 pm

Out of all my rifles my old Mosin has the best trigger pull of the lot. Its light and crisp, always wondered if they were all that good or if I just got lucky 20 some years ago when I purchased it.
muddy
Marksman

Postby Luv10mm » Thu 25 Apr 2013 12:44 pm

muddy wrote:Out of all my rifles my old Mosin has the best trigger pull of the lot. Its light and crisp, always wondered if they were all that good or if I just got lucky 20 some years ago when I purchased it.

You got lucky. Mosins aren't known for their tight manufacturing tolerances and quality control checks. There are a few oranges amongst the lemons though. :wink:
Luv10mm
Expert Marksman

Return to Gunsmithing