Shortening shotgun barrel

Post any gunsmithing services or parts in this forum

Shortening shotgun barrel

Postby gskip33 » Wed 10 Jun 2015 4:33 pm

I got a Remington 870 28 inch barrel that I would like to change into a 18.5 inch barrel. Can anyone on here do that? I don't really care about it being pretty. It would only be for short range engagements. I just don't have the tools to do it myself.

I was quoted maybe $50 at discount guns and ammo in Provo.
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Re: Shortening shotgun barrel

Postby quychang » Wed 10 Jun 2015 8:26 pm

I imagine for $50 they would do a reasonably pretty job of it. Somehow that appeals more to me than someone with a chop saw hacking off the barrel and doing a clean up with a Dremel. But maybe that's just me.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby AlanM » Thu 11 Jun 2015 2:50 am

quychang wrote:I imagine for $50 they would do a reasonably pretty job of it. Somehow that appeals more to me than someone with a chop saw hacking off the barrel and doing a clean up with a Dremel. But maybe that's just me.

Mel

What he said!! +100
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby muddy » Thu 11 Jun 2015 8:24 am

gskip33 wrote:I got a Remington 870 28 inch barrel that I would like to change into a 18.5 inch barrel. Can anyone on here do that? I don't really care about it being pretty. It would only be for short range engagements. I just don't have the tools to do it myself.

Tell me about your barrel. Is it 3" chamber? Rem chokes? vent rib? I have an 18" Rem factory barrel that I might trade for the right barrel.
muddy
Marksman

Postby gskip33 » Thu 11 Jun 2015 11:42 am

muddy wrote:
gskip33 wrote:I got a Remington 870 28 inch barrel that I would like to change into a 18.5 inch barrel. Can anyone on here do that? I don't really care about it being pretty. It would only be for short range engagements. I just don't have the tools to do it myself.

Tell me about your barrel. Is it 3" chamber? Rem chokes? vent rib? I have an 18" Rem factory barrel that I might trade for the right barrel.

Vent rib, I think 3" chamber. I think the chokes are kinda trashed though. Not really sure. It's a little beat up.
Whoooooo!
gskip33
Sharp Shooter

Postby muddy » Thu 11 Jun 2015 6:53 pm

gskip33 wrote:
muddy wrote:

Vent rib, I think 3" chamber. I think the chokes are kinda trashed though. Not really sure. It's a little beat up.

Not sure how you trash chokes as I have 20000 rounds through a full choke with no real wear. If its that beat up I wouldn't be interested. If you want simple google how to measure legal barrel length so you make sure you are not cutting off to much. Take a hacksaw or chop saw and cut it off then clean up the end. If you want a bead drill and tap a hole and install a bead. I cut 8 inches off and old rifle with a sawall, recrowned the barrel with valve lapping compound and a brass round headed bolt then shot a 1" group at 100 yards out of a barrel that's mostly worn out.
muddy
Marksman

Return to Gunsmithing