Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby IchBin » Tue 13 Mar 2012 2:50 pm

A co-worker here complained to me about having to "feel intimidated because of some red-neck open carrying" while at the zoo over the weekend. Which then got the other liberal co-worker I work with a little wound up. Never thought I would have heard all the typical liberal arguments in one conversation... "What about my right to not feel intimidated?". etc.

They are good people, but it's hard to educate people and to respond to such emotional opinions without coming across as a jerk. I tried to give reasons why people OC to explain things so that they'd have a better understanding. Oh and I did let him know there was a right to keep and bear arms, but not a right to not feel intimidated. :D

Anyway, I thought someone may like to know they were spotted over the weekend OC'ing at the zoo. And I was glad to see the gun didn't jump out of the holster around all the children! ;)
~~ Dreams do not die with the Dreamer. ~~
IchBin
Marksman
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon 19 Apr 2010 11:05 am

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby gravedancer » Tue 13 Mar 2012 2:56 pm

I loosely concealed there the weekend before, but not this past weekend. And strangely enough my gun didnt jump out of its holster and go on a rampage either.
Image
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper
 
Posts: 1791
Joined: Mon 21 Mar 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby Utah_patriot » Sat 26 Jul 2014 2:03 pm

I have a year pass and have open carried at least 4 times with no problems or security even stopping me.

All in all been very positive here at the zoo

Never give up
Zachary
801-448-7574
User avatar
Utah_patriot
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon 26 Jul 2004 9:23 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby JoeRandall » Sun 27 Jul 2014 2:45 am

X2 we were at the zoo earlier this year. Open carried with no issues. Isn't the zoo a state entity?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Intermountain Firearm Training
Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor
Utah Hunter Education Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Recruiter
User avatar
JoeRandall
Marksman
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat 23 Feb 2013 7:57 am
Location: West Bountiful, Utah

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby Car Knocker » Sun 27 Jul 2014 6:52 am

JoeRandall wrote: Isn't the zoo a state entity?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's owned by Salt Lake City.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
User avatar
Car Knocker
Posse
 
Posts: 4563
Joined: Sun 25 Jul 2004 3:41 pm
Location: Longmont, CO

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby dewittdj » Sun 27 Jul 2014 7:27 am

gravedancer wrote:I loosely concealed there the weekend before, but not this past weekend. And strangely enough my gun didn't jump out of its holster and go on a rampage either.

...as have I and always without incident or comment.
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot
 
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sat 07 Aug 2010 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Utah

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby DaKnife » Sun 27 Jul 2014 1:53 pm

To the OP: Did you ask your co-workers where in the constitution this right "to not feel intimidated" is found. My copy seems to be missing that language. Advise him that a therapist can probably help him with his hoplophobia. That said the Zoo is a subsidiary of the state and thus carry is legal and can not be prohibited.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
User avatar
DaKnife
Sniper
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu 06 Jan 2011 12:16 pm
Location: Riverdale

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby morcey2 » Sun 27 Jul 2014 3:31 pm

There were a couple of bison that were carrying around hi-points in Uncle Mike holsters. KInda tacky, but at least they weren't carrying Jennings' like the fallow deer were. :)

There are few things in this world that irritate me more than someone that claims that they a right to not be offended or uncomfortable. I'm offended by the fact that you claim the right to not be offended, so does that mean you can't claim that right because it offends me and I have the right to not be offended?

Matt
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
NRA Certified Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
morcey2
Expert Marksman
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed 30 Nov 2011 6:07 pm
Location: South Utah County

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby DaKnife » Sun 27 Jul 2014 10:28 pm

morcey2 wrote:There were a couple of bison that were carrying around hi-points in Uncle Mike holsters. KInda tacky, but at least they weren't carrying Jennings' like the fallow deer were. :)

There are few things in this world that irritate me more than someone that claims that they a right to not be offended or uncomfortable. I'm offended by the fact that you claim the right to not be offended, so does that mean you can't claim that right because it offends me and I have the right to not be offended?

Matt


:spit: :lol3: :lolbang: :ROFL:

Hey don't forget the Kangaroo's with their Smartcarries, you never know what they might be packing.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
User avatar
DaKnife
Sniper
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu 06 Jan 2011 12:16 pm
Location: Riverdale

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby bagpiper » Mon 28 Jul 2014 12:42 pm

morcey2 wrote:There were a couple of bison that were carrying around hi-points in Uncle Mike holsters. KInda tacky, but at least they weren't carrying Jennings' like the fallow deer were. :)



Tacky or not, the grass eaters have a real need to protect themselves from the predatory carnivores. :D

Of course, all monkeys need to be disarmed since we know "those animals" all have mental health issues and can't be trusted with guns. :nilly:


morcey2 wrote:There are few things in this world that irritate me more than someone that claims that they a right to not be offended or uncomfortable.


Almost without exception, folks who make these claims are among the first to tell the other side of the political spectrum that the 1st amendment protects all kinds of truly offensive material including public vulgarities, profanities, blasphemies, and pornography. For some reason, "change the channel or look the other way" is only required of political/social conservatives, never of liberals.

We are living in a nation where "Keep your rosaries off my ovaries" is considered high and essential political discourse while any unkind thing said about homosexuals, muslims, or women with hairy armpits are all considered "hate speech", and even "hate crimes".

Those who would look for a right not to be offended need to think very carefully about the ramifications if uptight, conservative, bible-thumping religious fanatics (again, such derogatory terms applied to conservatives are never considered "hate speech") get to exercise the same right. Seeing a gun, in a holster without a badge and uniform (seeing cops with guns OCd never seems to worry the bed wetters) is no more offensive or discomforting than seeing sexulized naked bodies on billboards or over the public airwaves, or seeing sexual or simulated sexual acts in public places.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper
 
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue 09 Nov 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby ObiRich » Mon 28 Jul 2014 3:48 pm

morcey2 wrote:There were a couple of bison that were carrying around hi-points in Uncle Mike holsters. KInda tacky, but at least they weren't carrying Jennings' like the fallow deer were. :)
Matt


What were the sheep carrying? Oh, that's right! Sheep don't carry!
Spent 24 years in the USAF defending our rights...don't intend to stop now
User avatar
ObiRich
Expert Marksman
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun 20 Jan 2013 10:44 am

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby gravedancer » Tue 29 Jul 2014 9:15 am

I think if someone came at me with the "right not to be offended" argument, I would tell them something along the lines of "There is no such right, probably because the founding fathers, unlike most modern day liberals, were smart enough to realize that "being offended" is too subjective. What offends me may not offend you, and vice versa. If there were constitutional protections against feeling offended, what was legal or illegal would change minute by minute based on who was in the immediate vicinity of one another. For example, here is a list of things you do that offends me, which would make you a criminal under the law you are proposing (insert list of their vices here). Oh whats that... those things you do arent offensive ? Well, to me and others like me, they are just as offensive (if not more) as my carrying a gun is to you. Thank you for illustrating my point."
Image
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper
 
Posts: 1791
Joined: Mon 21 Mar 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby bagpiper » Tue 29 Jul 2014 9:34 am

gravedancer wrote:.... Oh whats that... those things you do arent offensive ? Well, to me and others like me, they are just as offensive (if not more) as my carrying a gun is to you. Thank you for illustrating my point."


"But your gun is dangerous while my picking my nose or swearing doesn't actually hurt anyone."

A friend once told me that in politics, almost everything can be explained by one of two rules.

1-"But that is different."
2-People are idiots.

Those who resort to the "my right not to be offended" or "to feel safe" (feel free to "feel" however you like, I feel safer when I have my gun with me) are generally not the kind of folks who give a lot of rational thought to things. In fact, we are all subject to holding certain positions not because of rational arguments, but because of emotional responses. And whether it is a single position held by a generally rational man, or an entire life's view held by someone who lives his whole life on emotion, "You can't use reason to talk a man out of a position that he didn't use reason to get into."

Whether it is a fear of guns, or a phobia about flying or snakes, or a feeling that "discrimination" is wrong and so should be illegal, or even a feeling that certain conduct is "icky" and so should be kept out of public view, reason and logic almost never trump emotion.

Which I think is where we get the aphorism that "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

Real change of heart on issues of emotion come from emotional experiences, such as personally experiencing the joy of shooting, or having a scarey experience and realizing having a gun in hand may have been of benefit.

Not that there is a thing wrong with your argument. It is entirely accurate and logical. It is just that most of the time it will fall on deaf ears.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper
 
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue 09 Nov 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby Daeyel » Sat 30 Aug 2014 3:59 pm

Were you talking to me? :lol3:
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue 20 Oct 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Someone OC at the zoo over the weekend?

Postby dewittdj » Sat 30 Aug 2014 8:54 pm

bagpiper wrote:We are living in a nation where "Keep your rosaries off my ovaries" is considered high and essential political discourse while any unkind thing said about homosexuals, muslims, or women with hairy armpits are all considered "hate speech", and even "hate crimes".Charles

Women with hairy armpits!!! Oh, the vulgarity!!! :nilly:
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot
 
Posts: 5258
Joined: Sat 07 Aug 2010 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Utah


Return to Open Carry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron