Man, Don't shoot me!!!!!

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

Re: Man, Don't shoot me!!!!!

Postby AlanM » Wed 27 Aug 2014 4:41 am

I thoroughly agree with Joe on this.
Unthinking Man With A Gun calls probably get a LOT of innocent people killed by trigger happy, nervous, LEOs.
This happened just this month in Dayton, Ohio.
Walmart gunman's family: 'They didn't even give him a chance'
Cops shoot and kill man holding toy gun in Wal-Mart

This story is on going. Walmart video shows that the man was pointing the air rifle down at the ground when he was shot and hadn't been pointing it an anyone. Or, at least, that's what another report on line has stated.

EDIT: Here's a more current update of this story: Dayton-Area Walmart Shooting: Was An Innocent Man SWATted to Death?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Re: Man, Don't shoot me!!!!!

Postby bagpiper » Wed 27 Aug 2014 8:20 am

AlanM wrote:I thoroughly agree with Joe on this.
Unthinking Man With A Gun calls probably get a LOT of innocent people killed by trigger happy, nervous, LEOs.
This happened just this month in Dayton, Ohio.

I expect that this is most police officers' worst nightmare. I expect cops to be very careful in using deadly force. At the same time, I recognize the limits of human ability and I don't really expect cops to wait to get shot before returning fire.

Fred Reed's most recent column starts by frankly acknowledging the current police state with cops kicking in doors and start shooting. He then goes on to discuss the challenges that even the best intentioned of cops face when it comes to simply surviving, especially when patrolling in areas that are openly hostile to some of the laws currently on the books. Without going too far off topic, I'd suggest this is yet another evidence in favor of far more federalism and State/local diversity of laws and culture. If a State/neighborhood really doesn't care about drinking in public or even public intoxication, a little gambling in public, etc, so be it. Areas that do want to limit or ban such public conduct should do so. And we should all vote with our feet to live in areas whose culture and laws suite us.

Back on topic, as gun owners we have both the burden and advantage of astutely understanding the challenges faced by someone determining whether he is in danger sufficient to warrant the use of deadly force. Unlike we who get to and are encouraged to run away from trouble, police officers are expected (even if not legally required) to run toward trouble.

Knowing how to avoid looking like a threat to a peace officer (or other private gun owner) is a crucial part of our training. Most of us are probably much more likely to have interactions with police officers than we are to ever have to use our gun in self defense against a criminal.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Previous

Return to Open Carry