Man practicing open carry robbed of gun

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

Re: Man practicing open carry robbed of gun

Postby RustyShackleford » Sun 12 Oct 2014 7:45 am

I would not turn over my gun to a robber, No way would I let a weapon (Mine) be used in a crime or possibly kill another innocent person. An armed thug want's my wallet, car or even my wife's wedding ring, it is not worth dying for. But if you are going to carry, in my opinion you have a distinct obligation to protect innocent people from harm. Giving up your gun to a criminal is not an option IMO for someone that chooses to carry. (open or concealed)

If a criminal is demanding my gun, then the answer is a question back to him. Are you willing to die for it? Because even if you shoot me first I will be able to get off at least 2-3 rounds back into you before I loose consciousness.
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby Doctor Jenks » Sun 12 Oct 2014 8:36 am

It's all well and good to say you'll never let a criminal take your firearm. It's a great sentiment, if a little unrealistic. Let's not pretend that there isn't a circumstance where giving up your firearm will be your only likely chance for survival. And if you're dead, they still get your firearm.

Perhaps you could overcome one guy, but what if there were several of them? Presumably, you're already in a situation where they have their own firearms trained on you, they know you have a firearm as well, and you have not drawn.

If somebody steals your firearm, and used it to hurt somebody, its not your fault. No more than a rape victim is at fault for what happened to them. Let's not forget that these perpetrators clearly already have firearms. In short, they don't really need yours to hurt somebody else, when they already have their own.
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby mljdeckard » Sun 12 Oct 2014 12:42 pm

A boy open carrying his toy and failing to know and practice proper retention techniques had it taken away by a bully.
"Mindset, skillset, toolset. In THAT order!!"
Sinister Duck Tactical
http://www.facebook.com/groups/212701338903322/
I will teach CWP classes in your home or business
call or txt 801-560-2223
[email protected]
mljdeckard
Marksman

Postby Doctor Jenks » Sun 12 Oct 2014 12:53 pm

Everyone has a different level of comfort and experience with firearms. Disparaging remarks about the victim of this crime are really not helpful.
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby UtahCFP » Tue 14 Oct 2014 7:20 pm

The first day I owned a gun, I was not well prepared to fend off an attacker.
Dr. Dave ([email protected])
WAS a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Instructor
NOW a Texas License to Carry (LTC) Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby dewittdj » Tue 14 Oct 2014 7:26 pm

UtahCFP wrote:The first day I owned a gun, I was not well prepared to fend off an attacker.

Nor are most 4 year olds... the age at which I owned my first gun. But I learned in a hurry!!!
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby thx997303 » Wed 04 Feb 2015 8:50 pm

This is the reason firearms training isn't enough. If the guy has to get close enough to take the firearm, he's vulnerable.

I practice Danzan Ryu Jiu Jitsu, though I'm a novice. It gives you far more options for self defense than any weapon or device can, and teaches you things like facing the danger, getting off the x, and other things that translate directly to armed self defense.

Train, and diversify.
thx997303
Sniper

Postby Uinta Firearms » Thu 05 Feb 2015 11:15 pm

mljdeckard wrote:A boy open carrying his toy and failing to know and practice proper retention techniques had it taken away by a bully.

^^^This.
Uinta Firearms
Marksman

Previous

Return to Open Carry