Witnessed an interesting police encounter last night

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

Witnessed an interesting police encounter last night

Postby climbingcapitalist » Tue 21 Apr 2015 11:34 am

So I thought I would share an interesting event I witnessed last night on Canyon Road in Provo. I was driving home a few blocks from a park with a couple of my kids and saw police lights up ahead. As we approached I noticed several police cars had pulled over a truck and there was a man standing near the rear of the truck. The police, who had weapons drawn including one officer with his shotgun were ordering the man to put his hands on his head. He complied and I noticed he had an openly carried handgun in a holster on his right hip. The first thought that popped into my head was that this could possibly be an open carry stop, and I was very curious about what was going on since there were so many police and weapons being pointed at this person. However considering that I had my kids in the car I passed as safely as I could, noticing more officers arriving. I dropped the kids off at my home and drove back to the scene which by this time had calmed down tremendously. Weapons were put away, and the man was calmly sitting on the tailgate of his truck. Soon all but 3 officers drove away and the man appeared to be talking and joking with the officers. I remained on the opposite side of the street and made sure not to interfere with what was going on, I simply observed. I thought that I might wait until the stop was done and ask either the officers or the man what the situation was to find out if there was some reason that warranted such a response from the police, or if it was simply a call on a "man with a gun" who might be legally open carrying. I am not saying that is what was going on, because I do not know for sure, and when I called the police records today I was informed that there was a call about a truck that was following someone, but they didn't have any other details. Again it appeared that everything was calm and fine very quickly after the stop, but it was interesting to see such a strong response from police, and it was good to see that none was injured.
climbingcapitalist
Novice

Re: Witnessed an interesting police encounter last night

Postby J_dazzle23 » Tue 21 Apr 2015 1:40 pm

Interesting. I do find it a bit excessive to draw down on someone simply because they are in possession of a firearm. Low ready, maybe.

It's too bad you couldn't get the scoop!
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby climbingcapitalist » Tue 21 Apr 2015 2:01 pm

It did seem a bit excessive with the overall show of force (7-8 officers, guns drawn, some with shotguns), and that was one reason why I was curious. It was also interesting because I have watched a lot of YouTube videos recently about open carry stops, etc...(mostly looking for great examples of officers respecting rights and not overblowing the situation) And here it seems like I was right in the middle of one. Again from what I can tell from speaking with the police office and a few witnesses that were there for the whole thing is that the police were called for the truck following another vehicle. I do not know if the call alerting police to the weapon, if the people who called had knowledge of the weapon, or if the man was threatening the people who called and that is what brought such a response or what. I did do a bit of filming, but my wife summoned me home before the whole thing ended (I obeyed). I wanted to see if the man was given his gun back at the end. I can tell you that I never saw the man in handcuffs, or in the back of a police car. He was armed when I drove by the first time and when I got back he was sitting on his tailgate swinging his legs back and forth joking with the officers. When I left it looked like the man was filling out a report.
climbingcapitalist
Novice

Postby climbingcapitalist » Tue 21 Apr 2015 2:07 pm

The story of the police being called for the truck following someone is interesting to me as well, because I have noticed on a couple of occasions that I have left a store in the middle of Orem or somewhere like that and I am traveling home, and I notice that I have been following a car for a while, in fact on one occasion I left Target at the same time as another vehicle and we both headed the same direction and ultimately I ended up behind them until I turned onto my street. I have a pretty noticeable car that stands out quite a bit anywhere I go, so I thought to myself "I hope these people don't think I am following them" lol. This is not a situation I would like to go through for simply driving home from the store.
climbingcapitalist
Novice

Postby J_dazzle23 » Tue 21 Apr 2015 2:35 pm

climbingcapitalist wrote:The story of the police being called for the truck following someone is interesting to me as well, because I have noticed on a couple of occasions that I have left a store in the middle of Orem or somewhere like that and I am traveling home, and I notice that I have been following a car for a while, in fact on one occasion I left Target at the same time as another vehicle and we both headed the same direction and ultimately I ended up behind them until I turned onto my street. I have a pretty noticeable car that stands out quite a bit anywhere I go, so I thought to myself "I hope these people don't think I am following them" lol. This is not a situation I would like to go through for simply driving home from the store.

I agree. It seems like there may be some details you haven't been given, tbh. Makes me scratch my head a bit.
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Postby climbingcapitalist » Tue 21 Apr 2015 2:45 pm

Yes I am sure there is more to the story. Maybe I will run onto the driver in my neighborhood and can ask, or maybe the police will get more details to the records off in the days to come. Not sure how much info they would release though.
climbingcapitalist
Novice

Postby bagpiper » Tue 21 Apr 2015 2:50 pm

Without knowing details it is impossible to know whether or to what extent lawful possession of a firearm may have played any role in this whatsoever.

Some years ago I got lit up while driving to work one morning on a sparsely traveled road in SL County. I was a bit surprised because I hadn't done anything wrong. I stopped, rolled down the window and was ready for the usual request for paperwork as the officer walk up. Instead, he said, "Please keep your hands on the wheel where I can see them," as he had his hand on his gun and walked to the front of my car, turning sideways to keep an eye on me. He took one look at my front bumper, moved his hand away from his gun and visibly relaxed.

As he walked past my window he said simply, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We're looking for a car involved in an incident and from the back yours matched the description. But from the front it obviously wasn't you. Have a nice day." And he was gone.

The entire stop was probably less than 2 minutes total.

My point? Even being the one stopped I can't tell you anything beyond what the officer told me. I can easily imagine that there might be cases where the car they are looking for is for something serious enough that if they find a close match they might make a full felony stop.

So maybe what you saw had everything to do with a visibly armed man. Or maybe it had nothing to do with OCing.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby climbingcapitalist » Tue 21 Apr 2015 3:18 pm

You are correct, it could have been for anything.
climbingcapitalist
Novice

Postby quychang » Tue 21 Apr 2015 4:42 pm

bagpiper wrote:Without knowing details it is impossible to know whether or to what extent lawful possession of a firearm may have played any role in this whatsoever.

Some years ago I got lit up while driving to work one morning on a sparsely traveled road in SL County. I was a bit surprised because I hadn't done anything wrong. I stopped, rolled down the window and was ready for the usual request for paperwork as the officer walk up. Instead, he said, "Please keep your hands on the wheel where I can see them," as he had his hand on his gun and walked to the front of my car, turning sideways to keep an eye on me. He took one look at my front bumper, moved his hand away from his gun and visibly relaxed.

As he walked past my window he said simply, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We're looking for a car involved in an incident and from the back yours matched the description. But from the front it obviously wasn't you. Have a nice day." And he was gone.

The entire stop was probably less than 2 minutes total.

My point? Even being the one stopped I can't tell you anything beyond what the officer told me. I can easily imagine that there might be cases where the car they are looking for is for something serious enough that if they find a close match they might make a full felony stop.

So maybe what you saw had everything to do with a visibly armed man. Or maybe it had nothing to do with OCing.

Charles

Along the same vein, a co worker of mine was stopped in Sugarhouse area and detained for a couple of hours, simply because his car matched the description of one used in a crime. The only description of the perp was blonde hair. You guessed it. Same make and model car, same color. Blonde dude driving. It did get sorted out after a couple of hours, but he did get a ride to the station and spoken to at length prior to his release.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby SwordRapier » Wed 22 Apr 2015 11:32 pm

My wife who is a supervisor at a bank got a call from one of her employees informing her that he was going to be late. He was stopped by the police because his car matched the description of one used in a bank robbery.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

-Sigmund Freud,
General Introduction to Psychoanalysis (1952)
SwordRapier
Marksman

Postby morcey2 » Thu 23 Apr 2015 1:32 pm

I got pulled over once on I-15 by a Utah County Sheriff vehicle. There were two deputies in it. The one on the passenger side got out, ran up to my passenger window, looked at me and said "Sorry, you're not him" and ran back to the truck and sped off. I still have no idea what that was about. I don't think they were chasing a criminal of any sort with the way he approached the vehicle. Maybe they were looking for someone who's wife had gone into labor or something like that. Not that they're big on doing stuff like that, at least on the freeway.

Matt
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
NRA Certified Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
morcey2
Expert Marksman

Postby aaron » Wed 20 May 2015 5:56 pm

Well, it could be anything. You have to remember that if you're open carrying and a crime has been reported in the vicinity you will raise some red flags. In my opinion open carry is a very poor choice unless you are in a rural area or out in the middle of nowhere. Now don't get me wrong. I'm one of the most avid supporters of exercising your rights, but in Utah, a shall issue state, there is not a real reason you need to go through all the hassle. Just carry concealed. :roll:
aaron
Novice

Postby JerL » Wed 20 May 2015 6:52 pm

Or open, however you like.
JerL
Marksman

Postby SirGentleman » Wed 20 May 2015 6:55 pm

JerL wrote:Or open, however you like.

:agree: :thumbup:
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams
SirGentleman
Marksman

Postby UtahJarhead » Thu 21 May 2015 6:11 am

aaron wrote:In my opinion open carry is a very poor choice unless you are in a rural area or out in the middle of nowhere. Now don't get me wrong. I'm one of the most avid supporters of exercising your rights, but in Utah, a shall issue state, there is not a real reason you need to go through all the hassle. Just carry concealed. :roll:

Who said we needed a reason that's valid to you?

"Because I want to" should be [doggone] good enough.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Next

Return to Open Carry