Texas Open Carry

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

Texas Open Carry

Postby UtahCFP » Fri 29 May 2015 4:35 pm

Legislation allowing holders of the Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to carry a handgun in shoulder or belt worn holster has passed the Texas House and Senate. Now it goes to the Governor, who has already said he will sign any gun-related bills that he gets.

:D
Dr. Dave ([email protected])
WAS a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Instructor
NOW a Texas License to Carry (LTC) Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Re: Texas Open Carry

Postby SirGentleman » Fri 29 May 2015 5:17 pm

UtahCFP wrote:Legislation allowing holders of the Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to carry a handgun in shoulder or belt worn holster has passed the Texas House and Senate. Now it goes to the Governor, who has already said he will sign any gun-related bills that he gets.

:D

Nice. So will Utah reciprocity count for this bill? Or will one have to get a license in Texas?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams
SirGentleman
Marksman

Texas Open Carry

Postby UtahCFP » Fri 29 May 2015 5:31 pm

Requires Texas CHL to open carry.

EDITED: looking like it isn't restricted to Texas residents. The law basically strikes "concealed" when talking about lawfully carrying handguns.
Last edited by UtahCFP on Fri 29 May 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby dewittdj » Fri 29 May 2015 6:31 pm

UtahCFP wrote:Requires Texas CHL to open carry.

Not doubting your word, but it seems a bit of an oxymoron... that you have to have a CONCEALED Handgun License to OPEN carry.
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby UtahCFP » Fri 29 May 2015 6:33 pm

It's basically just becoming a CARRY license.
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby UtahCFP » Fri 29 May 2015 6:41 pm

Looking into it further... I'll update here if I find out reciprocity allows open carry. I was basing my information on listening to the Texas Senate discussing the bill just before passing it. They referred to "CHL holders" but perhaps that was just a generic reference to those with recognized permits. I've been reading through the language, but I'll have to follow a bunch of meandering references.

EDITED: looking like it isn't restricted to Texas residents. The law basically strikes "concealed" when talking about lawfully carrying handguns.
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby SirGentleman » Fri 29 May 2015 8:41 pm

UtahCFP wrote:Looking into it further... I'll update here if I find out reciprocity allows open carry. I was basing my information on listening to the Texas Senate discussing the bill just before passing it. They referred to "CHL holders" but perhaps that was just a generic reference to those with recognized permits. I've been reading through the language, but I'll have to follow a bunch of meandering references.

Hooray!!
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams
SirGentleman
Marksman

Postby JoeSparky » Fri 29 May 2015 8:43 pm

Just remember Texas is going from "if I can tell you have a handgun, you will be prosecuted" to "OK, it is legal to Open carry but you still must have a permit"---- Tain't right, but better than before!
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby aaron » Fri 29 May 2015 10:04 pm

JoeSparky wrote:Just remember Texas is going from "if I can tell you have a handgun, you will be prosecuted" to "OK, it is legal to Open carry but you still must have a permit"---- Tain't right, but better than before!

:agree:
Still sad that this is the better of two poor options. Honestly how can a person, in their right mind, say that they are liberal and then purpose restrictive laws. :dunno:
aaron
Novice

Postby dewittdj » Fri 29 May 2015 10:26 pm

aaron wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:Just remember Texas is going from "if I can tell you have a handgun, you will be prosecuted" to "OK, it is legal to Open carry but you still must have a permit"---- Tain't right, but better than before!

Still sad that this is the better of two poor options. Honestly how can a person, in their right mind, say that they are liberal and then purpose restrictive laws. :dunno:

Because, they truly aren't liberal in the literal sense of the word??? :raisedbrow:
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby aaron » Fri 29 May 2015 11:00 pm

dewittdj wrote:
aaron wrote:

Because, they truly aren't liberal in the literal sense of the word??? :raisedbrow:

I didn't know you could be figuratively liberal?

Sent from iPone
aaron
Novice

Postby UtahCFP » Sat 30 May 2015 7:53 am

Its been funny watching the attempts to say there will be increases in crime and gunfights. The people who can open carry are the ones who ALREADY are carrying. It boils down to "do you really think a whole host of bad things will start happening because they tuck in their shirts?"

Liberals have been able to live in their fantasy bubble 'cause they can't tell when there are guns in the room. They don't want to have their bubble popped.
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby SirGentleman » Sat 30 May 2015 10:11 am

UtahCFP wrote:Its been funny watching the attempts to say there will be increases in crime and gunfights. The people who can open carry are the ones who ALREADY are carrying. It boils down to "do you really think a whole host of bad things will start happening because they tuck in their shirts?"

Liberals have been able to live in their fantasy bubble 'cause they can't tell when there are guns in the room. They don't want to have their bubble popped.

Every time I open carry I think that same thing: "Did I just shatter your universe because you can see my gun? Because whether or not you see it, I'll have it with me."
SirGentleman
Marksman

Postby UCChris » Wed 03 Jun 2015 2:37 pm

SirGentleman wrote:
UtahCFP wrote:Its been funny watching the attempts to say there will be increases in crime and gunfights. The people who can open carry are the ones who ALREADY are carrying. It boils down to "do you really think a whole host of bad things will start happening because they tuck in their shirts?"

Every time I open carry I think that same thing: "Did I just shatter your universe because you can see my gun? Because whether or not you see it, I'll have it with me."

There was a woman in here early 20's that worked with me at Home Depot. My two co-workers and I were talking about guns in the break room (all three of us carry) and she said that guns were dangerous and kill people and blah blah blah. I would've paid to she her reaction if all of our cover garments suddenly disappeared...
UCChris
Marksman

Return to Open Carry