OC on motorcycles?

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

OC on motorcycles?

Postby BlingityBlang » Thu 14 Apr 2016 9:56 pm

Anyone have any experience oc'ing on a motorcycle? Would a LEO be able to pull you over to check your id and such just because he saw the firearm? I've read all the laws and the rv or motorcycle section of the gun laws is extremely vague in my opinion. I have a concealed permit so will always be carrying loaded and don't want any unnecessary harassment from LEO's while riding. I have a retention holster, anyone have any suggestions on holsters for oc'ing on a motorcycle? Or anyone perma mount a holster on the motorcycle somehow? Maybe by the handlebar or side fairing for easy access?
BlingityBlang
Novice

Re: OC on motorcycles?

Postby bagpiper » Thu 14 Apr 2016 10:09 pm

I don't street ride much, but occasionally my street legal enduro sees some asphalt.

Here in Utah I would not expect much problem OCing generally, nor while riding a motorcycle.

I've read of some who OC while riding specifically because they believe it reduces the incidents of "cagers" crowding them. I have no personal experience one way or the other there.

Our car carry provisions at 76-10-505 allow you to carry fully loaded and/or concealed without even needing a permit so long as you are in or on your vehicle.

I would personally avoid a motorcycle mounted OC holster just due to the risk of forgetting the firearm when I left the bike unattended such as to run into a store. A gun stored out of sight in a saddle bag (especially a locking hard sided case of some sort) would not worry me as much. In any event, if I were to ever get separated from my bike, I think I'd prefer to have the gun on me rather than wherever the bike ends up.

Others with more street riding experience are sure to chime in.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby JoeSparky » Thu 14 Apr 2016 11:10 pm

I oc regularly on my trike. Since per Utah law as long as one is in lawful possession of the vehicle and is legal to possess a firearm and is 18 or older there is no way to unlawfully carry a firearm. So I see no legal justification for an officer to just pull one over to make one prove they are "legal"!
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Fri 15 Apr 2016 4:14 am

Engaging in a lawful activity is not RAS for a stop. And lacking evidence either way that the person engaged in the activity is lawfully able to engage in the activity is not RAS for a stop to verify that they are lawful or not

OC is legal in this state, carry in/on a vehicle is legal in this state. The officer's desire to determine whether or not you are lawfully able (not a prohibited person) is not RAS to stop you to see if you are in fact prohibited or not. IF he knows you to be a felon, or otherwise prohibited person, then he has RAS but until then there is no legal justification for a stop for OC alone. He is required to assume that you are authorized to carry until he knows otherwise.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby dewittdj » Mon 18 Apr 2016 8:35 pm

Check out the number videos of pro-racing motorcyclist who have gone down. Observe which ones get up and walk away and which ones don't. In the vast majority of cases, if you can ride out the asphalt slide on your leather covered arse or side, without something digging or dragging (e.g. an open carried firearm and holster), then you are most likely going to get up and walk away. If, on the other hand, that holstered firearm snags the payment, curb, etc. during your slide, chances are you're going to enter one of those concussion causing tumbles or flips.

I prefer securing it to the bike, in a bike mounted positive retention holster or case and ride wearing all the gear, all the time.
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby J_dazzle23 » Tue 19 Apr 2016 10:40 am

dewittdj wrote:Check out the number videos of pro-racing motorcyclist who have gone down. Observe which ones get up and walk away and which ones don't. In the vast majority of cases, if you can ride out the asphalt slide on your leather covered arse or side, without something digging or dragging (e.g. an open carried firearm and holster), then you are most likely going to get up and walk away. If, on the other hand, that holstered firearm snags the payment, curb, etc. during your slide, chances are you're going to enter one of those concussion causing tumbles or flips.

I prefer securing it to the bike, in a bike mounted positive retention holster or case and ride wearing all the gear, all the time.

+1 for ATGATT.

Hip mounted firearms are not fun to put between your iliac crest and the pavement. If I was carrying on a bike is honestly conceal a little Lcp/pf9 or similar in a pocket against something a little less hard than a hip bone :)

My .02
J_dazzle23
Marksman

Return to Open Carry