Bob Owens

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

Bob Owens

Postby mkeeney » Wed 12 Oct 2016 5:15 pm

Does anyone here have an opinion of Bob Owens, the chief muckety-muck at Bearingarms.com?

I ask, because so often I find myself disagreeing with his positions on various issues.

The most recent example is a column he posted today regarding open carry.

It seems from reading a number of his columns, that it's either his way or the highway.

Thoughts?
mkeeney
Novice

Re: Bob Owens

Postby manithree » Wed 12 Oct 2016 8:53 pm

I get their e-mail newsletter, and I read that one today. It smells a lot like elitism (and logical fallacies). The whole "cops are better trained so they can open carry, but you shouldn't" argument really makes me wonder how many cops he's been to the range with.

OTOH, expressing an opinion that open carry is not optimal, and even discouraging it is very different than advocating for legally restricting it, which, AFAIK, Mr. Owens does not.
It's not about the odds, it's about the stakes.
http://gunfacts.info/
manithree
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Thu 13 Oct 2016 2:13 am

I originally liked and followed him closely, but over time realized he was all for bearing arms, but only in the manner and methods he preferres. He is very anti-OC and has no problem calling for restrictions on that method of carry. I eventually dropped his site and FB page from my reading list. Whether you OC or not we all need to stand together, something he does not do.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby manithree » Thu 13 Oct 2016 6:56 am

DaKnife wrote:He is very anti-OC and has no problem calling for restrictions on that method of carry.

If that's true, then I agree with Herschel:
http://www.captainsjournal.com/2016/10/11/bob-owens-hating-on-open-carriers/

What is your malfunction, Bob?
It's not about the odds, it's about the stakes.
http://gunfacts.info/
manithree
Sniper

Postby mkeeney » Thu 13 Oct 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your insights.

I used to think his site was pretty decent, until I realized that he was anti-OC and lectured against it endlessly. I also have been turned off by what I see as his "bragging" about his expertise. He has likewise threatened to ban some folks for comments he doesn't like.

He is free to express his views (certainly on his own website), but I have grown tired of his anti-OC rants, as well as the perception that he gives that the police can do no wrong. Like I said previously, it appears that he is all for carrying, so long as it is done the way he thinks it should be done.

I really appreciate the link to the Captain's Journal. I'd never come across that site, but I found that the articles I did read I agreed with...looks like I have some reading to catch up on. :D
mkeeney
Novice

Postby RustyShackleford » Wed 16 Nov 2016 2:55 pm

Do you think O'l Bob will come out and defend the Conceal Carry Right of Permit Holder Philando Castile...Who was shot and killed by a cop, who is now charged with second-degree manslaughter after "a lengthy investigation"?

If I remember right Bob Owens was very quirk to defend the cop, Not the Citizen legally Carrying Just basing his opinion on the Cop's Word.... and even made up a bunch of crap about Castile having a lengthy criminal record in one of his opinionated Articles...Do you think he will have the guts to recant his former, bigoted kneejerk, reporting? I have almost always found his Articles (opinions) not worth the time I took to read them and to pick out his typos.... I find his site and especially his opinion first, pro- thin blue line, before it defends a citizens right to "Bearing Arms".

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2016/11/16/minnesota-officer-charged-with-manslaughter-in-shooting-death-of-philando-castile-n2246812?utm_source=thdailypm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl_pm&newsletterad=

So far I guess he is silent after a "a lengthy investigation" goes 180% from his slanted and I think, yes "Racist"* opinion.

Something I have found in many of his articles....Yes I know, I need to stop reading his crap...but it is like a train wreak....
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby mkeeney » Sat 03 Dec 2016 3:45 pm

Bob is clearly a statist. He practically worships the police.

That said, he's not going to back track and defend the permit holder. When the indictment was handed down, here's the story he ran:

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/11/16 ... o-castile/

As far as I could see, he made no attempt to defend Philando Castile and he doesn't suggest that the officer was in any way wrong.
mkeeney
Novice

Return to Open Carry